Light + stiff racket = injury?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by niemrieng, Dec 14, 2008.

1. niemrieng

niemrieng Regular Member

Hi all

I started playing 4U rackets 2 months ago. It's very light so I can defense really well. However my shoulders got hurt after 2 months :crying:. I wonder if the problem comes from the light + stiff racket or it's just a basic injury :eek:.

Hope that you can help

Thanks

NR

2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    What was your racket strung with and how high was the tension?

3. niemrieng

niemrieng Regular Member

It is strung @ 24 lbs

And I smash a lots.

NR

4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    imho u may need to use more of your wrist to generate the power from light rackets.

5. niemrieng

niemrieng Regular Member

I wonder that's where the problem comes from

6. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

wait, what 4U racket is it?
    that may explain a lot

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think a light and stiff racquet causes injury. Most injuries to the arm are due to wrong technique. I play with a 84g racquet (racquet with string weight) strung at 31lbs and I can hit and smash harder than many players half my age, who play with 2u or heavier racquets that weigh 100g to 110g. I have never had any arm injury problem whereas some of the younger players have tennis elbow.

8. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

ur smash technique is wrong so it will cause ur shoulder feel pain...try to use more on ur wrist to do smashing...this may save ur should =D

9. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

2 months ago... If you play regularly, your arm should have adapted by now. Stiffness is normally related to elbow problems and not shoulders (don't quote me on this though).

Did your shoulder only start hurting recently? Assuming that your shoulder has been bugging you for a while, definitely means that you need to adjust your technique to compensate for your new racket.
    Useful clues are A. What are you currently using and B. What was your last racket. My guess would be your previous racket is heavier and you are straining your shoulder by using a lighter racket.

If it's just recently, you probably pulled/strained your shoulder on or off court (ie awkward stroke, strenuous activity prior etc). Assuming this is the case, stretch lots (even reps are good) and ice afterwards or play less and get more rest

#9 Tsuioku, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It may be too light for you, and also you might be trying to use your arm/shoulder too much. Light racquets + arm/shoulder player not using forearm rotation will overswing, and throw out their shoulder.

11. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    Racquet Weight And Arm Injury

I believe that arm injury is related to racquet stiffness and balance point rather than the actual weight of the racquet. I play 5-6 days a week and up to 4 hours a day. The only stiff racquet I use is a Nanospeed 8000. I like this racquet but if I use it for more than an hour I get some pain in the elbow. If I switch to a Muscle Power 66 the pain will go away after a day or two. Both are head light racquets one very stiff one very flexible.

I once owned a Wilson V4 a head heavy racquet 87g. This was the first time my elbow hurt. When I switched to a flexible, 82g. headlight Wilson V14 again the pain stopped.

12. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Fixing your technique should stop your problem :). I've faced right the same problem (mine is even worse since I forced through it, and I have certain shoulder injury in my childhood, which is stay's not healed yet). Train your wrist, using the recommended training available at the Techniques and training session in the forum.

This way, your injury is not coming back. For your information, my racket should weigh about 80 - 83 grams with the grip and string it's RSL Aerometric Power 550. And it's really stiff -_-x... I believe it's stiffer than my Arc10, but... for that weight, it's hard to differ since that looked weak :D.

13. blavodka

blavodka Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi All
    I have been using Carb20 in the past and did not have any shoulder or elbow pain. I recently changed my racquet to AT900P and my shoulder and elbow starts to hurt. It is due to the fact i changed to a stiffer racquet with higher tension? (from 22-24).

Is there anyway i can do to retify this prob? The pain is uncomfortable but still bearable. becomes more intense after games but after some rest, it tends to go away..but will come back if i starts to play.

14. shuttlehead

retired
    Sore Arm Stiff racquet

Everybody has different size muscles so not everything I learned will apply. This is what I learned has caused my elbow pain. Not warming up before practice, playing in cold weather, playing after you have become tired (breakdown in technique rather than overuse syndrome), and using a stiff racquet, especially in combination with one of the above.

When my badminton elbow causes pain I switch to using a flexible racquet. I use a Muscle Power 66 which is headlight. It takes about 2 weeks for the pain to entirely disappear. I continue to play several hours a week with no change except the racquet.

I should point out that I am an old guy so it takes longer for me to heal. And also I always put on an elbow strap before playing. The one I like is about 40mm wide and has a velcro closing. This is centered over the sore area and tightened just enough so that when you tighten your fingers into a fist you feel a little restriction just below the elbow.

Young flexible people, and those who are without old tissue injuries have greater range of motion. With a little muscle toning they can use heavy, stiff, and head heavy racquets. They do need to spend some time working up to long periods of play.
    Hope That Helps,

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I switch between 4 to 5 different types of racquets when I play. They weigh from 84g to 92 g with strings, lengths varying from 670mm to 680mm, and with different stiffness and balance point. They are all strung at very high tension. Yes, they all play differently, but I have no problem adjusting to each of them. I have never had any arm, wrist, shoulder, elbow or any injury to my hitting arm.
    I strongly believe that it is one's hitting technique that is the main cause of arm injury. Look for a bent arm at point of impact-the usual sign of trouble.

16. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Too true. I used to have this problem once. It really messed up my shoulder. Technique and timing - very, very important for injury prevention.

17. shuttlehead

retired
    More Elbow Pain

I didn't mean to suggest that good technique is not important in avoiding discomfort after playing. I do believe that there comes a time in every athletes lifetime when the will is there but the body is no longer cooperating.

Sure one can get some relief from $$$$$ surgery but why bother when simple home remedies can prolong enjoyment of the game.

18. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Probably OT but.. shouldn't the elbow be extended but still slightly bent at the point of impact?

19. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Yes, but just slightly. It's what they call the full, relaxed reach. What taneepak was referring to was a shot made with an approx 90 degree flexion at the elbow.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Get a fellow to throw say a tennis ball as far as he can throw. Watch his arm. Now watch the arm of all the badminton players when they clear or smash. You will note the quality difference varies with the degrees of arm bend.