BG66 performance swings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TechKXL, Dec 15, 2008.

1. TechKXL

TechKXL Regular Member

International Officer
    Hi All,

I'm new here, so take it easy on me, haha. I've got an Armortec 900P strung with BG66 @ ~23lbs. Just wondering, when I first got it strung, it was amazing, crisp, etc...after a 2 months or so (I play twice a week about 3-4 hrs each, singles & doubles), it seemed dead. So i thought, damn, time to re-string, then lo and behold, it seems to get back some of it's performance. Though I must say, it usually feels dead on Sat mornings more often than Tue afternoons. Has anyone experienced this performance swings? Or is it me, being a bit sleepy (and cold) on Sat morning. Ooh, also Sat morning is much colder (maybe 5-7 degrees difference), does this have an effect? lastly, the strings have no signs of fraying and tension did not seem to have dropped much either.
    Lastly, if you're wondering why BG66 has lasted so long, I rotate between another 2 different rackets with Micropower and 68TI respectively.

Many thanks! and apologies if this has been discussed before...somewhere.

2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Manybe its a 'girl' BG66 & thats probably why its mood keep changing all the time. I have only one advice for you bro; keep the string happy all the time & it will return the favor!!!!!

3. TechKXL

TechKXL Regular Member

International Officer
    I guess we'll see what happens, if i treat it right, it might just be crisp, else it'll just 'break' up on me. In which case, I think I'll be falling for BG80 sometime soon, haha..

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I would imagine it has something to do with the temperature. BG66 are known to be very sensitive strings (prone to breakages, etc) so perhaps they are sensitive to temperature changes as well.

5. MicroLegend

MicroLegend Regular Member

Hi, this is just my own experience.

When I first strung BG66 at 25lbs, it felt amazing and crisp too.

After 1 month and a total of about 10 sessions or so,

2-3 hours per session,

My string feels dead (both the sound and repulsion was gone).

I went for a re-string with a different string this time (Ashaway ML 0.69mm), same tension.

The crisp feeling was back.

I don't know why my BG66 suddenly "died",

but my personal suggestion would be you have it re-strung.

(It's 2months old too)

Just my opinion :)

6. TechKXL

TechKXL Regular Member

International Officer
    Thanks Microlegend, hmm...maybe that's why they're selling BG66 for so cheap! But awesome performance when new though! haha...

I've got another racket strung with Micropower (also 23lbs), same time as the At900P, I used both these rackets almost equally, the Micropower still feeling crisp though! (hope i don't talk too soon!)

7. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

My experience with BG66 is also that it feels great straight after stringing but looses its feel quite quickly. I have since switched to BG80 and the last restring lasted 4+ month so far. I string at 25lbs and stay in Singapore so your mileage may vary :).

8. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    Have a very bad experience with BG66 exactly the same as what everyone mentioned here but my time limit is even faster. Played no more than 10 - 12 hours strung at 26lbs. Was playing half way and then suddenly the feeling of the string is 'dead'. Like its not 'talking' to you anymore. :eek: Felt totally 'lost' all of a sudden.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) for all you swinger talking about girl and swing, stop it! you are making me horny.
    2) bg66 is a thin string. it is made same way just like bg65 except it is thinner for performance. if you are a hard hitter, the micro filaments inside will break or stretch and the string loss tension. that is when it stop talking to you and the birdy start flying all over the places.