Karakal Specifications Secret?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shuttlehead, Dec 15, 2008.

1. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    I am considering the purchase of a Karakal MTEC 70 or MTEC 75 racquet. After exchanging emails with two dealers and a visit to the Karakal website I have been unable to learn some important specifications of these racquets.

If someone has one of these racquets I would like to know the length, weight, balance point, and flex of these racquets. Thanks,

#1 shuttlehead, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    They weigh 70 and 75 grams, respectively. However, this is without a grip or strings.

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
  4. shuttlehead

retired
    Karakal racquet specifications

Yes, I found an old posting in which the author stated he found his SL 70 to weigh within .5 grams of the advertised weight.
    What I still need to know and what is more important to me is the balance point, flex, and length of these racquets.

I recently purchased and returned two Head racquets and a Wilson because they were no way near the factory specifications. The Wilson N Code was I believe another N Code model that was painted the wrong color.
    Thanks,

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the mtec70 weighs about 78-80grams with string and grip.
    the mtec75 is about 83-85g.

Both are 290-300mm in balancepoint (headheavy), 675mm and pretty stiff (not extra stiff)

6. shuttlehead

retired
    Karakal specifications secret ?

Thanks for the info. You have saved me the trouble of buying a racquet that is unsuitable for me. Some of the Karakal dealers suggested that I buy the MTEC 70 add 5g. of lead to the handle and I would have a medium flex, headlight racquet. This does not seem to be the case.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

wow...just...wow...

If you want a medium-flex headlight racket, I don't think the mtec 70/75/80 do the trick. and any honest/knowlegdeable seller should tell you that...
    Now the 80 is considarably flexier than the 70/75, but again, slightly headheavy.

I found the mtec85 to be a tad more headlight, something like even-balanced, and just as flexy as the mt80. But it is heavier than the 70/75...

8. shuttlehead

retired
    Medium Flex Head Light Racquets ?

I had a good experience dealing with CY of Seattle, Wa. He took the time to go through his inventory and check the weight and balance point of the unstrung racquets in his inventory. The racquet he sent me was 84g. b.p. 274mm. After grip change and the addition of 2.5g. of lead it is ready to play at 88g and 284mm. This is ok but I would like a lighter racquet and CY's "medium stiff" actually is a stiff racquet but not as stiff as some.

I am considering the Carlton Fireblade ISO Superlite which is not sold in North America.

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    You'd have a stiff(ish), headlight racket. You can't do anything about the stiffness but adding lead would change the BP. Why not play with an MTec 70 and see if you like it?

10. shuttlehead

retired
    Karakal Asian Racquets

A stiff flex racquet aggravates my elbow injury. That is why I am selling my Nanospeed 8000. One reply states that the MTEC racquets are stiff. Another states that only the MTEC 70 is stiff the 75, 80, and 85 are medium. Another person describes the Asian models as having an " Asian flex " ? I did not know that there is an Asian model. Does that mean they are fakes ?