Widebody vs slim racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by martykool, Dec 17, 2008.

1. martykool

martykool Regular Member

Hi,

Is it true that widebody racquets generate more power but has lesser control (due to air resistance) than slim racquets of similar weight? Whats all your experience with widebodys? I used to own a Slazenger once(aerotus widebody I think it was called) that was by far the widest racquet I have seen and it used to generate incredible power (even more than my AT 700 and MP 99 that I have now) but was hard to control which was why I ditched it. Is there any widebodys out there with good control??

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't seen a widebody racquet for a long time now. They haven't stood the test of time.

Oval shaped racquest and isometric shaped racquest are still being used...

3. martykool

martykool Regular Member

Hmm a bit confused here. By Widebody I meant wide frame and the head shape is still oval or isometric.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Oh! I thought you mean the player's wide body. I see that all the time...

Anyway, FYI, most of widebody in the late 80 and early 90's are more aero dynamic than many of the box shaped racquets (AT900-p and other) because of cross section.

Wide body racquets usually has more mass in the head area. It is good for transfer of momentum. That is why AT700 is a such powerful racquet.

5. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

I think you mean the difference between a boxed shape head and a aero head. And in case of the boxed shape head, most slim heads are kinda box shaped.

Be aware that there are more factors than the shape alone that determines the specifications of a racket. Normally, an aero blade is more aerodynamic, resulting in less resistance. In terms of speed, this racket should be faster. Most aero heads are thicker because this oval shape is weaker compared to a boxed shape design.

Boxed shapes are stronger, resulting in more power transfer from the shaft. So control should be better. Because the shape makes the blade stronger, you'll find this in the slim designs.

A thicker blade is also bad for cutting the shuttle. The change of hitting the frame is larger. Aero shapes can still be found in for instance YY NS7700. Boxed more in the offensive rackets like the AT series, and slim line in the ArcSaber rackets.

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Does this suggest a wide body allows stringing at higher tension, or just that this particular racket has both?

Attached Files:

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i don't think the 2 come hand in hand.
    the ability to hold high tensions is generally influenced by the type of material used in its construction, or the quality of the material used for that matter.
    that's my opinion in any case.