SS Master Finals 2008 News Article

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by george@chongwei, Dec 17, 2008.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

u can post all the news article regarding this ss final here..
    and pls as usual, if u post non english article..pls provide the the translation;)

2. george@chongwei

Badminton: Malaysian sponsored Zhou Mi gets her just reward

HONG KONG’S Zhou Mi will end the year as the world’s number one women’s singles player — ahead of China’s legion of stars.
    And that is a personal success for Zhou Mi, who is being sponsored by KLRC Bhd, owned by Malaysian Datuk Seri Andrew Kam.
    Zhou Mi, who left China with a heavy heart after the 2004 Athens Olympics to seek new fortunes in Hong Kong, said that the will to outperform the so called “invincible” Chinese players drove her to achieve remarkable results this year.
    [​IMG] Hong Kong's Zhou Mi during the interview after training for the World Super Series Masters Finals 2008 at the Likas Sports Complex in Kota Kinabalu on Wednesday - Starpic by Normimie Diun
    The 30-year-old is now ranked ahead of Lu Lan (No. 3), Zhu Lin (4), Xie Xingfang (5) and Wang Lin (9).
    It is no secret that Zhou Mi left the Chinese national team because of her displeasure over being asked to hand the Athens Games semi-final match to compatriot Zhang Ning, who went on to claim the gold medal.
    She went to Hong Kong in 2005 and took a year’s break before making a return to competition. The comeback was a struggle but she never gave up.
    Zhou Mi started winning the smaller tournaments on the international calendar in 2007 and this year, she reached five finals in Super Series tournaments and nailed two of them — the Korean Open and China Masters.
    She said that playing the game had become very enjoyable all over again.
    “It’s also nice to see the spectators enjoying it as well,” said Zhou Mi after a training session at the Likas Indoor Stadium yesterday.
    “I was not given a chance to fulfil my dream at my last Olympics (in Athens). I am back to show that I can do better. I am still not at my best but for now, I think, it is good enough to give the best players a fight.
    “The current set of Chinese players are young and talented. They can only become better. It will not be easy to maintain this position (as the world No. 1).”
    Although she has completed her mission to perform better than the Chinese players this year, Zhou Mi is looking at putting the icing on the cake in the Super Series Masters Finals.
    Zhou Mi will play two Group A matches today against compatriot Wang Chen and Germany’s Xu Huaiwen. The top two players in the group qualify for the semi-finals and Zhou Mi will take on Japanese Yu Hirayama tomorrow.
    Group B matches involve Malaysia’s Wong Mew Choo, France’s Pi Hongyan, world number two Tine Rasmussen of Denmark and world junior champion Saina Nehwal of India.

3. george@chongwei

Absence of Chinese shuttlers brightens Malaysia’s chances

REPORTS BY RAJES PAUL

KOTA KINABALU: Malaysia will be out to take full advantage of China’s absence to win big in the inaugural Super Series Masters Finals, which begin today at the Likas Indoor Stadium here.
    Malaysia are represented in all five events and their better prospects of winning are in the men’s singles and women’s doubles through world number one Lee Chong Wei and Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty respectively. Both are the top seeds.
    Despite the absence of the Olympic champion Lin Dan and the All-England champion Chen Jin from the crown jewel of the Super Series season, which offers a total prize money of US$500,000, Chong Wei had been playing down his chances over the last few days.
    But yesterday, the Beijing Olympics silver medallist made a big fuss over the schedule of play. He felt that it gave a slight advantage to Denmark’s Peter Gade-Christensen. This indicated that he meant business in wanting to end the season with a bang.
    [​IMG] The main draw: Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei and Liew Darren checking on the draw for the Super Series Masters Finals in Kota Kinabalu on Wednesday. - Starpic by Normimie Diun
    Chong Wei’s other opponents in Group A are fellow Malaysian Wong Choong Hann and Hong Kong’s Chan Yan Kit.
    “Usually, the top two seeded players in the group will be up against each other in their last group match. But I have to play against Choong Hann and Gade-Christensen on the same day tomorrow. My last group match is against Chan (on Friday),” said Chong Wei yesterday.
    Gade-Chritensen takes on Yan Kit in the morning today before playing against Chong Wei in the evening. His last group fixture is against Choong Hann tomorrow.
    “It does not seem right,” said Chong Wei, whose complaint, however, has fallen on deaf ears.
    But national coach Teh Seu Bok believes Chong Wei will advance to the semi-finals as the group winner.
    “Our hope is for Chong Wei to go all the way to win the title,” said Seu Bok.
    The Group B battles involve Indonesians Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat, Denmark’s Joachim Persson and England’s Andrew Smith.
    Persson, who defeated Taufik in the Japan Open, may turn out to be the spoiler against the more fancied players.
    Pei Tty will be the busiest Malaysian today, having to play a total of three matches — one with Eei Hui in the women’s doubles and two with Lim Khim Wah in the mixed doubles.
    Pei Tty has the better shot to go all the way to win the title with Eei Hui.
    The duo are on an excellent run, having won the Danish Open and finishing as the runners-up in France and China.
    The men’s doubles will probably be the most competitive of all the events in the Masters Finals and on paper, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari have the better chance than Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to land the title.
    Zakry-Fairuzizuan could be the surprise winners if they can raise their game higher.
    They begin their campaign in Group A today against Danes Anders Kristiansen-Simon Mollyhus. Kien Keat-Boon Heong will be up against another Danish pair, Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen, in Group B.

4. george@chongwei

Badminton: Koo-Tan may find Markis-Hendra too hot to handle

KOTA KINABALU: Olympic champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia are back on their feet, hungry for more success after a minor setback.
    A knee injury to Markis saw them losing tamely to Malaysia’s Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong in the quarter-finals of the Hong Kong Open early this month.
    Now that Markis is in better condition, the world number one are all fired up to regain their winning touch against the Malaysians in the Super Series Masters Finals here.
    Both the pairs are in Group B with Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan (Ina-Usa) and Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen (Den). Group A comprises Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari (Mas), Jung Jae-sung-Lee Yong-dae (Kor), Robert Blair-Chris Adcock (Eng) and Simon Mollyhus-Anders Kristiansen (Den).
    [​IMG] Holding court: Indonesia’s Markis Kido (left) and Candra Wijaya training at the Likas Sports Complex in Kota Kinabalu yesterday. — NORMIMIE DIUN / The Star
    Hendra said yesterday that they had gained a lot of confidence since beating Kien Keat-Boon Heong for the first time in seven meetings en route to winning the Olympic gold medal in Beijing last August.
    “It was unfortunate that Markis came down with a knee injury at the Hong Kong Open. It affected our momentum. He is in better shape now,” said the 24-year-old Hendra.
    “We have played against Koo and Tan many times. Their performances have dropped and it’s easier to play against them now. They are not mentally as strong as before.”
    However, Hendra chose to take a cautious approach in the Masters Finals.
    “We are in a tough group and we have to give our best. The main threat will probably be Jung and Lee who, like us, have been consistent this year,” he said.
    Besides the prized Olympic gold medal, Hendra-Marki were also champions in four Super Series tournaments this year — in Malaysia in January followed by three consecutive victories in China, Denmark and France (Sept-Oct).
    Jae-sung-Yong-dae bagged a total of four Super Series titles — All-England, Swiss, China and Hong Kong Open.
    Hendra said that winning the Masters Finals would be a perfect Christmas gift for him. And it would also put them in the right mood for the new season.
    “Our main goals next year are to win our first All-England title and defend our world title. We will not be pulling the brakes as far as winning titles are concerned,” he added.

5. george@chongwei

Persson rises from the ashes after Thomas Cup nightmare

DANISH shuttler Joachim Persson walked out with his head hung low after his failure to win the deciding match of the Thomas Cup semi-final tie against South Korea in the Finals in Jakarta last May.
    The defeat by Lee Hyun-il turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Instead of brooding over it, Persson went for a three-month training camp and came out of it with renewed zeal.
    [​IMG] Joachim Persson
    And in the following three months, he made heads turn in the world badminton fraternity. He beat Indonesian Taufik Hidayat en route to reaching the Japan Open semi-finals; finished as the runner-up to compatriot Peter Gade-Christensen in the Danish Open; and reached the French Open quarter-finals.
    Persson has now stepped in as the ideal replacement for Kenneth Jonassen, who has quit competitive badminton to coach the Danish women’s singles and doubles players.
    The 25-year-old Persson said that the best is yet to come from him.
    “I was so frustrated with the defeat by Hyun-il. It was not that I played badly but the Korean was just too good. I told myself that I would come out of this defeat,” said the European Championships runner-up.
    “I had a good training period, about three months. It helped me to polish up my game. I played great badminton after that and I am now confident about my game.
    “I am the second ranked player in the country and a lot more is expected of me from now on.”
    Persson spent most of his junior playing days in Germany and went to Denmark when he was 19-years-old.
    “The experience of playing in both countries has been good for me. This season has been the best for me thus far. I am ranked among the top 10,” said the world No. 7.
    “My main goals next year are to do well in the All-England and World Championships.”
    For the Super Series Masters Finals, Persson has set a semi-final target. His opponents in Group B are Indonesians Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik Hidayat and England’s Andrew Smith.
    “It will not be easy against the Indonesians. I will be more than happy to finish second in my group,” he said.

6. george@chongwei

all those news article that i posted are courtesy from thestar online

7. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

Hi everyone,
    You may not be aware of this, but stealing the copyrights of articles, pictures, images, is actually hurting the game.
    Why don't you just put the links to the articles (intead of copying and pasting the whole article) so that the reporters and the newspapers get the hits, so that, in the future, they have the means to send live reporters.
    That is also about showing respect for their work.
    Thanks

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Ideal replacement? :eek:

Kenneth Jonassen was a true sportsman and a gentleman.
    Persson's current on-court attitude is anything but ideal ;)

9. george@chongwei

oldhand can answer u on this:D

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

On the matter of articles, I agree with Raphy.
    It's only fair that those who write the articles get more than just a byline.

I would also recommend adding a teaser to the link.
    That would encourage people to visit the original page.

Here's an example:

"After Morten Frost, it could be Peter Gade signing on as Malaysia's coach."
    Here's the report from The Star, Malaysia :)

So long as the teaser is catchy and provocative, it will spur people to click through and read the details or see if the article indeed says so.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hiyaaa, like that no need post the link, there'll be people who'll complain the links doesnt work (which happens on a regular basis), or ask for summary or pictures. Let them find it themselves :p:p:p

#11 eaglehelang, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Well, the links are supposed to last forever ;)
    After all, we can't double as a global news archive.

This should be good enough for the present.
    If the source rearranges its pages, we can't be blamed.

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LOL, you didnt catch what i was implying ;);). never mind....

14. george@chongwei

as usual, u ask A, then oldhand will answer B, then u ask B, he will answer A:D:D:D

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Chong Wei nets first title as the world number one

Monday December 22, 2008

Badminton: Chong Wei nets first title as the world number one

REPORTS By RAJES PAUL

IT turned out to be the perfect end to the season for Malaysia’s world number one men’s singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei.

After failures to justify his lofty status as the top player in the world in previous tournaments, Chong Wei got it right with a sensational 21-8, 21-16 win over Denmark’s Peter Gade-Christensen in the final of the Super Series Masters Finals at the Likas Indoor Stadium in Kota Kinabalu yesterday.

The win earned him the biggest tournament prize money of his career — US$40,000.

Malaysia’s also won the men’s and women’s doubles through Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty respectively. And the three successes will go into the history books as the country’s best-ever achievement in a major individual championships.

[​IMG]
    Well done: Peter Gade-Christensen congratulating men’s singles champion Lee Chong Wei after the final yesterday

Click here for full story.

16. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Koo-Tan declare they’re back to their best!

Monday December 22, 2008

Doubles crackers Koo-Tan declare they’re back to their best

THE Malaysian men’s pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong have sent a crystal clear warning that they are back to dominate world badminton next year.

The duo put up a fantastic show yesterday to end the hot streak of South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung, winning the men’s doubles final of the Super Series Masters Finals 21-18, 21-14.

The odds were heavily stacked against the Malaysians to beat the All-England champions, who had won the last two Super Series tournaments in China and Hong Kong. But they turned the tables on the Koreans with superb attacking play.

The efforts of Kien Keat-Boon Heong in the Finals was worth US$42,000. En route to their first major title this year, they defeated all the top pairs and the success will be a tremendous boost to their confidence.

It was the Malaysians’ second international title this year after the Macau Open in October.

[​IMG]

17. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Eei Hui-Pei Tty cap tremendous year with biggest title

Monday December 22, 2008

Eei Hui-Pei Tty cap tremendous year with biggest title

IT is rare to see the women’s doubles shuttlers Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty show their emotions on the court but yesterday, they jumped for joy and hugged each other after nailing their biggest career title.

The duo lived up to their top billing to take the Super Series Masters Finals women’s doubles title with a hard-fought 21-15, 22-20 victory over Indonesians Lilyana Natsir-Vita Marissa at the Likas Indoor Stadium in Kota Kinabalu yesterday.

It could have been an easy task for Eei Hui-Pei Tty to pick up the winners’ purse of US$42,000. But they made life difficult for themselves and trailed 14-19 in the second game.

But known for their tremendous fighting spirit and true grit, the world No. 2 pair showed nerves of steel to make a remarkable comeback to seal victory.

With the win yesterday, Eei Hui-Pei Tty capped their most successful year of their badminton careers. They had won the Danish Open and emerged as the runners-up in the French Open, China Open and reached the semi-finals of the Hong Kong Open.

[​IMG]
    Women's Doubles Champion Malaysia's Wong Pei Tty (left) and Chin Eei Hui screaming in delight after their women's doubles victory

18. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    aiya, sure ppl will say LD and the mighty China is not here
    or else Datuk Lee will never stand a chance...

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LCW would have to beat both CJ and LD to win...and CJ and especially LD are not easy opponents...I would not say Datuk will never stand a chance cos LCW did played very well, even PG said so...but it would be a valid argument that if CHN had sent a team to play, it will much, much harder for Datuk to beat CJ and then LD than daddy-o TH and PG;).

20. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Lin Dan yeah, but I don't think Chen Jin really...