Peter Gade - Malaysia's Future Coach?

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Then, it was Morten Frost Hansen.
    Now, it could be Peter Hoeg Gade.

The Star, Malaysia reports that Gade could take up a coaching assignment abroad, perhaps in Malaysia.

Frost was the one who first spotted the talent in Lee Chong Wei.
    Maybe Gade will soon do the same for some youngster somewhere.

2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    i thought Misbun spotted LCW?
    anyway i might be wrong...
    If PHG became our coach
    i think women singles will increase

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    No, it was Morten Frost who first spotted Lee Chong Wei's talent.
    I recall him discussing this with Gillian Clark in a commentary session.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, he said that during the all-england when they were commentating together.
    PG coaching in malaysia would be an interesting development.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

oh, is it true?:rolleyes:
    i though there's a chinese guy i think its his father's friend spotted lee chong wei and let him try to train with him??
    how frost spotted him by the way??

6. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    frost first spotted LCW when he was just a little boy, they are now good friends...you can reference the conversation between frost himself and gill clark when they were the commentators for HK MS SF (or QF) 2007 between LCW and Kenneth Jonassen...incidentally, frost was also LWW/CTF's coach for a period of time...

7. Raymond Wong

Raymond Wong Regular Member

I work for RSL
    PG is atm the sole hp player trying to stop asian dominanace in badminton. becoming mal's coach would be counter-productive

8. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

Let me explain....

Morten Frost Hansen spotted Lee Chong Wei's talents but the one who got him his breakthrough on the international stage was Li Mao.I am Chinese and Malaysian.To be honest with you,since Li Mao left Malaysia has been on a downward spiral in men's singles.Even HH is not performing too well until lately when Hendrawan came in.......Li Mao used to be the men's singles chief coach and Misbun was the assistant,IMHO,I think the proper set-up would be Li Mao chief coach,Misbun Sidek assistant coach,Rashid and Hendrawan handling the backup shuttlers......

9. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Li Mao is a good coach but I think you are giving him too much credit. Currently most countries are experiencing a shortage in future quality men singles.

Lets put it this way, Li Mao is currently coaching in Korea and I don't see any breakthrough there as well

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I thought Lee Chong Wei has been training in BJSS since he was 12? How did Frost spotted him? Did Frost spotted Him in BJSS? I think if Datuklee has been training in BJSS before Frost arrival, Datuklee must have been spotted long time ago.

Frost didnt spotted Datuklee, Frost was the head coach when Datuklee started to make a name for himself

The one that Frost spotted was Allan Tai, Allan Tai was choosen to play for the national squad although he didnt win any major tournament but Frost spotted him during some local tourney.

I might be wrong!

#10 SibugiChai, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  11. narnia

narnia Regular Member

This is a true story. Li Mao did it until Sidek brothers got him out of the seat. So, last summer in 2009 before WC, LCW had visited KOR to be coached by Li Mao. I know LCW thinks Li Mao as his honored teacher.

:)

#11 narnia, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    it was morten frost 1st then(not sure who coach him in bjss) then misbun sidek then limao then wong tat meng then misbun sidek;)

13. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Actually, when I visited KL in 2004, I just read LCW news at a small section in the rear pages. He was in the top 5 then and I thought he would not be top 1. But he made it after that.

PG is good but he has his own style. Privately, I think the western players will not be fit with the oriental players. But we have seen many successes for the opposite cases.

:)

14. oonyz

oonyz Regular Member

Reply !!!

He needs some time,Li Mao was one of the coaches in the Chinese National
    Team.If I am not mistaken he was the assistant chief coach during Sun Jun's reign,he knows the inner setup and workings of the chinese national team.Lee Chong Wei was coached by him until 2006 and he left for Korea because he said there were too many politics within BAM.....FYI,BAM selected players into the backup squad from BJSS without consulting him first.As the chief coach he should be the one making decisions on selection of players but the BAM interfered.Before Lee Chong Wei he was the one coaching Wong Choon Hann.At that point in time Malaysia had two strong singles players.Li Mao wanted to select players into the backup squad to create a bigger pool of singles players able to spar with WCH and LCW but instead BAM made selections without his knowledge.Misbun Sidek is good coach as well,but in my opinion Rashid Sidek should not be chief coach for singles department.....Let me tell you Rashid Sidek's story,Rashid Sidek was coached and spotted by very famous coach from China called Fang Kai Xiang,Rashis Sidek was complaining about the training methods of Fang saying they were unneccessary.In my opinion,the one responsible for Malaysia winning the Thomas Cup in 1992 was Fang Kai Xiang not Han Jian.
    This Fang guy famous for making players vomit during his training sessions.Players trained by him come out as hard as rock as fit as superman.:eek:......But Rashid could not take his training as it was too tough.I
    am afraid the same thing has happen with Li Mao.BAM giving it easy to players since Li Mao left.Next Olympics look out for Korea,I will not be surprised if they have someone breaking through because I am sure Li Mao is preparing the Korean Singles Players for 2012 starting from now 2010.Heed my words....Chinese coaches are the best in badminton,don't forget our BJSS shuttlers are coached by SUN CHENHUA,another china coach.Morten Frost is famous for identifying talents, young talents I mean.But regarding training methods and breakthroughs and efficiency,China coaches are the best.Indonesia started out with chinese coaches, they migrated to their country and brought the coaching methods there.However,because of politics within the badminton federations of INDO and MAS, these chinese coaches have left.The main coach of Lin Dan was Tang Xian Hu.Many people think is Xia Xuanze,but those that think so no nothing about what's really happening.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thread is going off topic;)

He has to earn a living as well and if it is financially better for him to go to M'sia for a while, then so be it.

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Good write up

BUt I think Tang Xian Hu is an Indonesian Chinese not the other way round!

17. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Yeah we all heard about that story before. It was publish in the newspaper during MO 08. But the entire story that you wrote, it just doesn't tell whether Li Mao is a good coach or not.

Its good that you mention Wong Choong Han. In 2003 when WCH was still being coach by Misbun, he reach the final of World Championship. When he was coach by Li Mao, what kind of achievement did he achieve? Not even a open title.

Ultimately, its a combination of the player's talent and the coach's ability to bring out those talent. But I can tell that there is no way that I will be able to convince you just by reading your post. I mean come on, expect breakthrough by 2012. I wouldn't even dare to say the same for Malaysia and Indonesia who have higher profile MS.

Yeah yeah, you can rub it in my face if it does happen but I highly doubt it.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Both are Indonesian born Chinese..

..both Tang Xian Hu and Fang Kai Xiang are Indonesian born Chinese. They grew up in Indonesia, even played for INA briefly, but later returned to China for other reasons (partly politically-related). CHN badminton didn't blossom until their "arrival".
    More here:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15183
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47582