How often do you change of strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by sorin, Jul 24, 2002.

1. sorin

sorin Regular Member

IT
    Hi All,

Q. How often do you change your strings?
    Apart from strings snapping. I find that I am changing my string every 2-3 months.

I've read the threads about the Yonex MP90 .
    I've seen the pics. I must admit, I'm really tempted to buy.
    The cost is the killer as I play once a week I can't justify the purchase.

I'm using a MP77 SP.
    Originally strung with Ashaway Rally21 (24lbs)
    - Lost tension within 2 months but string were fine/undamaged .

I changed the strings to YY BG80 (26lbs)
    - I wanted durabilty but power. Always struggled with the power.
    Only occasional sessions of power smashing.
    The strings frayed at one position only. Every time I hit the shuttle. I would check the strings. My lack of smashing power made me want buy a new MP90 racket.

I have changed the strings to YY BG85 (26lbs). Awesome smashing.
    My oppponents struggle to return the shuttle.
    I am no longer in a hurry to change my racket.

I read others users like the Ashaway Microlegend. Does this string provide more power than the BG 85 ?

For users of MP77.
    I play doubles and find that with MP 77 I have to be quite aggressive otherwise I have trouble maneuvering the racket. Changing to the BG85 strings seems to have improved my maneuverability.

:p

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I am curious about the changing of strings has improved the maneuverability of the racquet? The strings you have prior to the BG85 are all comparable in terms of weight and thickness, so what is different about a string that will make the racquet more maneuverable than another string? Did you do anything else to the racquet? such as adding weight or changing the balance point?

I usually restring my racquets (not including breakage) every 2 to 3 months, or whenever i am not exceptionally lazy about it....

3. sorin

sorin Regular Member

IT
    badrad,
    It maybe that I feel as though I have more control/dexterity with these strings or that with the extra smashing power my opponents return less well which in turn gives me more time to re-position better.

I have been playing squash recently also. This may make the badminton racket feel lighter. I'm unsure how to explain improved maneuverability.
    It may simply be due to the perception of better equipment.

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Sorin,

I have 2 MP77s (x1 Australia version x1 SP version) and I have experimented with different strings at different tensions. So far I have tried BG65, BG65Ti, BG66, BG80 and BG85.

So far the best combination I have found is BG65Ti at 25x24lbs, BG66 at 23x22lbs or BG85 at 25x24lbs. I am not sure why, but BG80/85 strings doesn't seem to perform at its best on a MP racket unless strung at 23lbs+

I mainly play doubles and I've never had trouble getting a good smash in using MP77. It is my mainstay racket for time being until I get used to my new MP100.

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

It depends on the racket and ability of teh stirng to hold tension. I woudl say that If u are into prac real time then Prob every 1.5-2 weeks. But if it is Just Hit outs as relaxation then i guess once in 2 months would be the ideal thing to do.