New Vision Badminton Academy Group Coaching Session

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by jk1980, Dec 20, 2008.

1. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Hi everyone,

For those who've played with me today, u probably know I went for the NVBA Group Coaching Session today. So here's a walkthrough of what transpired.

I'll try to stay neutral and just walkthrough what went on.

1. Started of with a lobbing session with the coach (Raymond). Here, he corrected me on a mistake I was making that I never realized. My racket is not 'up' prior to hitting the shuttle. It's mostly slanting at the back or I was holding it lazilly god knows where.

2. When hitting the shuttle I rely more on my elbow to swing the racket rather then the entire arm. I saw video previously by Zhao Jinhua correcting a trainee on this but never realized I myself had such an obvious problem. Probably that's why I often hit the shuttle with the frame.

3. Did repetitive drills of drop shot followed by net shot. I think I did ok with the netshot but really badly with the drop shots. He kept on emphasizing on how my racket's not up. Eventually I got it right a few times but It's a hard habbit to break but at least now I know what I'm doing wrong.

4. He showed me how it's suppose to be done by lobbing with another trainee and that helped a lot.

5. Another thing mentioned is how I was moving too much (i guess the correct word here is inefficiently). The entire body is moving a lot whereas he emphasized on moving the legs only while the entire upper body should be relatively stationary and relaxed with the racket up as soon as the opponent lobs the shuttle. This is something I noticed before but probably will take more practice to kill this habit.

5. Did some combined drills. 5 trainees including the coach took one court (3 on each side) and the center guys would do drop shots to the two guys in front in the opposite court. The two guys in front would lob back to the center guy. Repeat again and again and again. Then rotate.

6. Next, started some smashing drills. He'll lob the birdie again and again and then the trainee's job is to keep on smashing or jabbing. That took out a lot from me. Continuous smashing is really fun but when you do it again and again and again, it's really quite taxing. Quite wondrous to see junior school kids at times can smash seemingly faster than the adults (me included). Not to mention they don't get tired so fast.

7. Doubles drill. The coach will take half court and two trainees on the opposite side. Trainess will keep on smashing and sometimes do a bit of netplay. Then worked on rotating between the two players. Probably to work on how to change position or who's suppose to cover which part of the court in doubles.

8. At this point, quite exhausted. Started playing some doubles with the other trainees. And once with the coach. Didn't loose too badly :) He showed us some quite impressive netplay. Didn't even have to smash us or anything.

9. Continue playing a few rounds with some of the junior trainees that are going to have a tournament tomorrow. 2 (adults) against 1 junior that's like 2/3 of our height....and we lost.

10. Continued playing singles with the junior trainees. Again...very sadly me and the other trainee that came for the first time lost. Only excuse I can think of is probably we were too tired. Then again...probably it's the lack of correct footwork.

So...that's about it. It went quite a bit after the original 2 hours so the RM100 / month is in my opinion well worth it. Court fees and shuttles all included.

So what do you guys think? Anyone else got coaching experience or followed any other group coaching and care to share their thoughts?

BTW, there's according to the head coach (Yogendran), there's not really a limit as to the number of trainees. They'll just arrange more coaches if necessary. So anyone else interested, do PM me for details.

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Regular Member

Electronics Engineer, Transport Systems
    with court fees included, RM100/mth is really worth it.

3. allanQ

allanQ Regular Member

logistics
    good tips JK1980 .. i supposed alot of us dont see our own mistakes when we play .. hahaha

4. fun78

fun78 Regular Member

-
    Wow, that's really a thorough description man. Appreciate it jk.

I think want to join but let me build up my stamina first as it's seems pretty intensive. Sometimes we know what is wrong but not sure how to correct it. Even though we know how to correct it, it never get done because it takes cointinuous and right practice to override the current habit :)

5. windchaser

windchaser Regular Member

Consultant
    Hi Jk2980

Your description of training session is very attractive. May I know when is it and the age group?
    thanks

6. tucked

tucked Regular Member

Application Engineer
    hmmm impressive.

I think if you can chase wind, then age group is not a problem:D

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Regular Member

jk1980's training group is on saturdays... not sure abt the time though. if i recall correctly, it's a group of adult players but sometimes they get the junior trainees to act as sparing/stroke partners.

8. tucked

tucked Regular Member

Application Engineer
    U know what?
    What the heck.. count me in.
    And one of my friend too.
    We are beginners though.. not sure if we can actually stroke when they ask us too. haih. sudah tua tua baru mau belajar.. waktu muda muda tak mau belajar baik baik. :(

But that means no Saturday morning session for me.. otherwise i wont be skinny anymore.. i will be bony.

#8 tucked, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  9. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

It's 7:00 - 9:00 and the age group is kind of mixed.
    They have junior trainees and adults. The coach will try pairing the trainees together not really by age but by capability.
    For example, me and another newcomer was paired with junior trainees.
    At first I was thinking like .... what the hell.
    But after seeing them play for a while it becomes quite obvious, even though they are junior, they play better. Simply bcoz they've been training longer i suppose.

10. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    Eat until old learn until old dude :D

11. windchaser

windchaser Regular Member

Consultant
    Hi Jk1980

7 to 9 is morning or night ? Which day is it ?

thanks

12. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

7 to 9 night. Saturday.
    They have it on other days as well at different times. Best thing is to call them up and ask. Number is 0379579595

13. tucked

tucked Regular Member

Application Engineer
    Dolphin!
    Are you gona swim with us?
    I tot u are interested.. start next year i suppose... :p

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Regular Member

yes, i will "swim" with you guys [subject to logistics] =)

2009 = tahun baru, azam baru.
    new year, new training regime.

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Regular Member

thanks jk1980! keep the spirit going...

16. tucked

tucked Regular Member

Application Engineer
    Joined the session first time today.
    From beginner level,
    Total confirmation on best gripping for my playing.
    40% improved accuracy in most shots.
    50% improved footwork.
    50% improved netplay.
    30% increased speed.
    hahaha arrhahhahaha :rolleyes:

17. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    So ready to gain back your pride against baby dolphin? ;)

18. BADHEN

BADHEN Regular Member

Any trainning session on Sunday night??If I interesting to join,could I just walk in to take a session or have to inform the coach earlier??

Ahhen

19. wu_kong101

wu_kong101 Regular Member

Insurance - Actuarial
    wow good description on the training dude, looks like u put some effort into this one. The training session idea, all of a sudden seems like an attractive proposition. I might want to to have a go at it next month, kinda busy this month with exams and chinese new years coming up soon.

20. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Yes there's another session on Sunday (not sure the time though). But not sure how many trainees there are and what are their level.

You can call up NVBA and ask about that.
    And yes you can just show up and then go through the session first then pay at the end of the session.

You need to pay RM100 one shot though.