Restringing badminton rackets with drop-weight

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by fishnchips, Dec 20, 2008.

1. fishnchips

fishnchips New Member

Restaurant owner
    Hi,
    I'm a newcomer to restringing. Got myself a drop-weight m/c but try as I did for many days, just couldn't get the tension rod to stay @ the horizontal !!
    Can any one of you seasoned experts out there kindly point to the correct way, please ?:mad::confused:

2. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Im a newbie myself with a drop weight. Im not sure what method your using to string but when tensioning, the strings stretch. So you have two choices.

Pre stretch the string prior to using it. Hook it around a door frame or something and then tug it :p

Or just dont leave it so long. When the string gets to horizontal, if it falls quickly then obviously lift the weight up a touch, if it falls, but slowly as in it is stretching the string, then just clamp off and go to the next string. With a drop weight, the thing is, if you leave it under pressure, gravity will eventually win.

This is from what ive learnt anyway. Good luck

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If this is the 1st time you string using drop weight, then the best way is to re-adjust until the bar is horizontal to give you the best result. It may take some practice to minimize the number of tries.

Also, since drop weight is a consistent pulling machine, you do not have to have the bar to be perfectly horizontal each time. A range of +/- 5' is acceptable, consider the next pull will make up the previous tension loss, if you let the bar stay for a few seconds more the "settle in". ;)

4. fishnchips

fishnchips New Member

Restaurant owner
    Newcomer to Restringing !

Many thanks to blundey, Lazybuddy for your valued contibutions towards my initial dilemma ! Just recently found that the Eagnas drop-weight machine was faulty. The spring inside was broken - hence no tension. It kept dropping to the floor ! The situation is now sorted. It's not a bad machine for the price! Thanks again, fellas.:)