Yonex vs other brands

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dubber, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    So Ive gotten more interested in buying more rackets since its fun :). Only thing im wondering about is yonex versus the rest.

Everywhere you look its all yonex this yonex that and wich yonex racket would this equal and so on. Is yonex like the industry standard and all the other brands are just trying to achieve the same rackets but dont quite do?

Rackets im most interested to buy right now is viktor superwave 32, sotx 8a and karakal m-tech 85.

Do all of these have a yonex counterpart thats basically the same only better? Am I wasting my money getting non yonex brands because with the shipping some of the rackets Ive looked at equals like yonex at900t at my local shop in terms of money that is but the deal is that my local shop doesnt carry so many brands.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    There's no denying that Yonex make some awesome rackets (I own many of them). However, I think many brands can do just as well, if not better. Yonex dominates the market (not sure of percentages right now) and this is why it is used as a benchmark.

The MTec 85 is a fine racket. The majority of Karakal's singles players swear by it and use nothing else. Personally, I wield an MTec 70 with lead tape mods. It's still very light but has a BP of around 340mm to 350mm. Ideal for not giving your opponent a chance to return your bullet smash that nearly went through the floor.

I think you could do better than Yonex and save some money at the same time by going for another brand, such as Karakal.

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    A bp of 340 - 350mm ! Won't the defense be badly affected ?

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yes but my playing style is usually attack so much, your opponent doesn't get chance to. However, on the defensive, the racket is not as pleasant to use as headlight rackets (or even slightly head heavy rackets); I must concede that.

5. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    Great arm and wrist power!