User Tag List

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    I think it is spelled as JUNG..Just look at his playing badminton shirt.
    Yes, that is how the BKA has been spelling his name, at least since 2003 or so. All the famous Jung's before him had a 'ch', though, for the same name: Chung So Young, Chung Myung Hee, Chung Jae Hee.
    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Btw, i also noticed that Lee yong dae changed his name on his shirt from Lee Y D to Lee Y. Any specific reason for this?
    The specific reason is a decision to standardize across all sports on the Olympic team. It does make sense in a way to use just one initial. Just as I believe it is in Chinese, none of those characters are like an English middle name that can be dropped, so 'Yongdae' is his entire given name.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To clarify matters

Courtesy from The Star :

To clarify matters :

Name change, but Jae-sung still the same old player

KUALA LUMPUR: A slight change in the spelling of his name, a new status in the world rankings.

Watch out for South Korea’s Chung Jae-sung.

No, he is not a new shuttler. The Badminton World Federation (BWF) confirmed yesterday that men’s doubles player Jung Jae-sung will now be officially known as Chung Jae-sung.

And Jae-sung now intends to soar high in his last Olympic Games in London with his younger partner Lee Yong-dae.

The Korean BA had requested the world body to change his family name to Chung because that is how it is spelt in his passport.

BWF Superseries marketing manager Selvam Subramaniam said: “We changed it following a request from the Korean BA. This is how his name appears on the passport and this was the name submitted to the London Olympic Games organisers.”

The change of name also coincided with Jae-sung-Yong-dae regaining the world No. 1 spot in the world rankings after more than two years.

Jae-sung-Yong-dae moved up to the world No. 1 spot after winning the Indonesia Open three weeks ago. It was Jae-sung’s first tournament in three months and second after the All-England in March.

He has been down with a shoulder injury but a three-month rest has done wonders to the stocky 29-year-old shuttler.

Based on his form and seriousness in changing his name after so many years, expect Jae-sung to go all out to end his six-year partnership with with Yong-dae with an Olympic gold.

This will probably be his last chance as Yong-dae is likely have a new partner after the London Games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last sentence seems a bit off. Seems they don't realise he's going to the army

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolsticeOfLight View Post
    The last sentence seems a bit off. Seems they don't realise he's going to the army
    Your emoticon seems to indicate that you are joking but I still don't get it. Your ambiguous pronoun reference doesn't help, either. For the record, Lee Yong Dae doesn't have to go to the army since he has won an Olympic medal. Shon, Ko, and Yoo will have to at some point, unless they win a medal in London or gold in Incheon 2 years from now, though that might be too late for Yoo. If by 'he' you meant Jung, that makes little sense as well, since he's already been.

However, you might be referring to the 4-week stint that Lee Hyun Il did in 2003 or 2004, even after he won Asian Games team gold. At that time, Lee had to stop playing and do basic training for 4 weeks but he didn't have to do the full 2 years and he didn't have to play for the military badminton team and instead went straight from his university to his pro team. The 4-week deal might happen to Lee Yong Dae, too, but that won't preclude him from getting a new partner.

In 2004 and 2008, the Korean Olympians took a long break after the Olympics. After Beijing, Ha/Kim played in the Japan Open but the rest of the Olympic team rested until the China Open in November, although all played in the National Sports Festival in October and Hwang Yu Mi, Ha Jung Eun, Kim Min Jung, and Lee Jae Jin all played in a domestic tournament one month after Beijing. This year, though, the BWF will force the top players to play in Denmark, minus the retirees of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If by 'he' you meant Jung, that makes little sense as well, since he's already been.
    And he's going back. Not all army service is obligatory.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolsticeOfLight View Post
    And he's going back. Not all army service is obligatory.
    This is true. However, I wonder if you are basing your statement on this single posting, where *chance* said that Gillian Clark said that Jung was going back to the army.

Not that I've heard him asked for his post-Olympic plans but until I hear otherwise, I am assuming there is some misunderstanding. This in-depth interview, for example, came out right after the All England and the writer says, at the end, that he guesses questions about what Jung will do after the Olympics will have to wait until August because there is only one thing on his mind.

He has mentioned his retirement many times in several articles and they all refer to his years devoted to competitive badminton, to his new wife, and to his loss of his mother but I have seen no reference to plans to go back to the army. That doesn't mean that he isn't planning to, of course, but without something more definite, I would stop short of implying that the Star is ill-informed because they don't mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another video I made for Korean badminton... hope you all like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please also translate what Lee and Chung and saying in this video?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heong View Post
    Another video I made for Korean badminton... hope you all like!

wow! some pretty intense rallies there!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton duo grateful for seven years together

The Korea Herald | 2012-08-08 08:19

Winning bronze medal at the London Olympics wasn't exactly how they wanted to end their partnership, but the South Korean men's doubles badminton team of Chung Jae-sung and Lee Yong-dae said Tuesday they were still thankful for each other's presence.

Chung and Lee, ranked No. 1 in the world, took third place in doubles. They came into London as the favorites, but lost to Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen of Denmark in the semifinals.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Read more : http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view....08000112&cpv=0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post

Winning bronze medal at the London Olympics wasn't exactly how they wanted to end their partnership, but the South Korean men's doubles badminton team of Chung Jae-sung and Lee Yong-dae said Tuesday they were still thankful for each other's presence.

Chung and Lee, ranked No. 1 in the world, took third place in doubles. They came into London as the favorites, but lost to Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen of Denmark in the semifinals.

I love their mentality, it is just so right....

Lee Yong Dae is right, the gold medal isn't everything. I think for him and Jung, the bronze is just as valuable as the gold. The medal is only the colour, but their friendship will last forever and this bronze holds 7 years of handwork, successes and the bond of this pair.

No matter what I am proud of both of them... they have always been so mentally strong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post

I have to say it now, it's been too long: I hate the danish pair for screwing up what should have been a superb Olympic final!

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35