Foreign vs. US Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by xivanx, Dec 22, 2008.

1. xivanx

xivanx Regular Member

I am planning to buy a 200 reel of string or some packets of strings. How do you distinguish US strings from fake and foreign strings? If I recall correctly, strings form Singapore have an "SP" on the packet. I also might have heard of a "CH". I heard these strings are more smooth and have a different feel when you hit.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

First, Welcome to BCBF.
    To distinguish the fake vs real, you can only tell from the package and they are getting pretty good of making fake packages.
    1) Are you asking about Yonex string?
    2) If so, there is not a lot you can do to tell real vs fake for 200 m reel. As I said, you can tell from small detail on the package only or you have to string it up and try it.
    3) Whoever told you that there is a difference between same model of Yonex US/international vs oversea (sp/ch) distribution string is either he/she does not know what he/she is talking about or that person is trying to sell you a fake string.
    4) There are some Japan only string. They are different. But they are different model also.

I can not tell you if you are referring to other manufacture/string brand.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you really use your nails to scrtach the string, yes, you can say that SP and CH strings are a bit on the "slippery" side. (BG80) However, once you put 20+ lbs force on the string, you can hardly tell the difference between who's who.

The best way to avoid fake is to shop with a reputable local authorized seller. ;)

4. xivanx

xivanx Regular Member

Badminton Strings

Thank you for welcoming me here. I've been playing badminton for about two years and have had this account for awhile, but I never used it. Yes, I am talking about Yonex strings. I specifically want Bg 65 strings. I'm trying to get all my stuff for badminton right. I'm going to order a pack of Yonex grips from a tennis site that sells it really cheap. Now I just need to get my strings and find someone that has a machine. The different feel of foreign strings I was referring to is what LazyBuddy has stated. Can anyone refer me to a reputable store to buy a reel or some packs of strings for cheap? I can buy online, but I just want to make sure that they are US Strings and not fake. Thanks, everyone.

5. silentheart

Depend on where in CA, try www.badmintonalley.com if you are in N. Cal. If you are in S. Cal, try SGVBC or OCBC or SD Badminton Supply.

6. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

how do you tell the difference between the jap and us version of ML and MP?

7. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I've also noticed this with BG80 and BG85 (white) between SP version and what is available here in Canadian stores. The Canadian one is a more consistent, fine, rougher texture than the SP (slippery).

8. silentheart

Hummm, may be it is time for me to break out a pack of SP BG80 and a US version of BG80 to see the difference. I am still maintaining there is no difference between the 2.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    a good start is to buy them from reputable suppliers, They should able to tell u the source of their strings

10. xivanx

xivanx Regular Member

SGVBC and OCBC usually sell their products for more money than online vendors. Badminton.net, which deals in the San Diego area, has a picture of the old Bg 65 strings, so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm afraid of getting 200m of old strings I don't like. I know badmintonalley.com sells it for about a 200m reel for about 80 dollars. I have two questions: Does anyone know if the strings badmintonalley sells are US Strings and not some other foreign one? Does anyone know where to get strings cheaper? It would be nice if someone could recommend a store. :D

11. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

the US and UK strings are the same, as far as I can tell for the Yonex BG80 I have.

12. silentheart

Yes, all 3 place I mentioned do sell US string only unless you ask for JP coded. If you look really hard (read between the lines), you might find some members here can get you good deal on what you are looking for. I will suggest you to try out different string set first before you decide to buy a 200 m reel.

13. xivanx

xivanx Regular Member

Thx silentheart. I'm wondering if anyone can upload pictures of US strings and foreign yonex strings so I can tell the difference. So if I get a 200m reel from badmintonalley.com itll be US for sure?

14. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

JP Ashaway strings do not exist.

15. silentheart

1) I assume you are asking about the cover/bag of the string right? If so, I will do it in early Jan when I have time.
    2) Yes, if you buy from Badmintonalley.com, it is US coded string.

16. xivanx

xivanx Regular Member

thx a lot silentheart

17. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

when i checked the package itself, it's the same between the two. here is the picture for the UK one.

Attached Files:

18. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

here is another picture for its back, UK string.

Attached Files:

19. xivanx

xivanx Regular Member

hmm guess so. i don't see anything stating the country of origin.

on another topic:
    i've heard some people talking about sunrise yonex. is that the singapore dealer of yonex?

20. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Something like that, I think it is the main Asian distributor of Yonex.

I would imagine that strings intended for distribution in different regions would be the same. That's what Yonex say about their rackets anyway (although I would imagine the Chinese team ones might be a little bit better). Also, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there any reason why Yonex tries to keep certain strings (CBG-100, SemeTitan, TobiTitan, BG-66 sharp etc) in Japan?