Wong Peng Soon and Ong Poh Lim

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by oldfreeman, Dec 22, 2008.

1. oldfreeman

oldfreeman Regular Member

Editor and writer
    Hi, I would appreciate some information about our great Wong Peng Soon. Singapore has featured him in their Hall of Fame much earlier than ours. It's sad that only in 2004 was he and Poh Lim indicted into our OCM Hall of Fame. Even Khoo Kay Kim's book on our 50 most influential sportspersons did not include him. Maybe it was because he became a Singapore citizen...but he was a Malayan before our independence. I still have a Silver Gray Slazenger racket (now unusable) which I used during my school days. He has passed away already but his memory should be retained as an inspiration to our younger players. Dr Onn Chong Teik's article at least highlighted the achievements and abilities of this great player.

Back to my request..where was Peng Soon born? I know it was in Johor somewhere. Where did he get his early schooling? Ooi Lay Beng's book (sorry forgot title) stated that Eddy started his badminton when he was 7 years old. How about Peng Soon? Who was his mentor and greatest influence to his game?

As for Ong Poh Lim, he was the innovator of the backhand serve (called the Crocodile serve then) which is used by most players now. I also own a Flight Commander racket (created in honour of Poh Lim)..although warped and misshappen now. It was my mainstay racket while playing for my school. I read that he was born in Sarawak. Any information about how he developed his badminton skills? His mentor?

Thanks in advance and appreciation to forum members who can give me this information.

2. sandrawong

sandrawong New Member

Student
    Hello!
    Well I know he’s born in Johor Bahru for sure. He’s my grandpa’s brother. I don’t know that much about him. But I see his wife once in a while during family reunions. I hope I can ask her for you. Then I shall get back to you okay? My dad told me he once played with him and of course, my dad was no match for him haha... But my dad did mention he’s a great player. Oh I remember his wife told me last September that he did not drink any isotonic drink, his main source of liquid was just water and that he did not believe in energy drinks. Oh and they had a few badminton courts outside their house long long ago.