Which racket to choose??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by scottishjon, Dec 24, 2008.

1. scottishjon

scottishjon New Member

Hi All,

I used to play at a very high level up to the age of 16, unfortunately I have been out of the game for 19 years and as a result I'm a bit out of touch with the latest racket technologies.

I am now in a position where I can play again and want to get myself up to competition level within 12-18 months but would like some advice on rackets.

I used to play with the following Yonex Widebody 30, restrung to 22lbs and a Yonex Carbonex 14 strung to 20lbs. Very old rackets now but good in there day!!

I have been looking at high end Ashaways (Ashaway Kevlar 8000 SQ) and Karakel M-Tec 70 & SL-70. Also been looking at Carlton Fireblade Elite. Love the Yonex rackets but a little too pricey for me at the moment.

I play quite a fast attacking game and would love to know what you all think of Karakel, Ashaway and Carlton Rackets??

Thanks all!!

Merry Christmas!!

Jon

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    If you have the opportunity, it would be good if you could try a few rackets out before buying - just get an idea of the weight/balance/flex you feel comfortable with. Maybe borrow a fellow club member's?

It seems that at the moment you're really not at all sure what you're looking for even - the rackets you mention are all pretty different from one another (apart from the Karakal's - M-Tec70 is just the iso version of the SL70).

I would guess the M-Tec 70 and SL-70 are probably not going to suit you - you say you play a "fast attacking game", and I suspect you won't get as much power as you'd like from such light rackets (they're essentially for defensive players). The M-Tec 80 or 85 might be a better bet.

The 8000SQ is very heavy, and also head heavy balanced. I'd expect it to feel cumbersome and not good for quick defense, but it should be great for smashing. It also has a stiff shaft - this is a good thing if you have good technique and can generate a fast racket head speed - assuming you haven't forgotten everything you learned 19 years ago, it sounds like you might be ok there.

Still, something a little lighter might be a safer bet - perhaps the 6000SQ or 7000SQ? Don't assume a more expensive racket is better (even from the same manufacturer) - the important thing is to find a racket with the weight/balance/flex that suits you.

The Fireblade Elite is head-light, so it should be maneuvrable, but possibly not as powerful as say, the Fireblade Tour.

If testing / borrowing some rackets really isn't an option, then based on the very limited information you have provided, I would suggest something around 85g, medium-stiff, moderately head-heavy. It's quite possible that other people here will disagree.

That probably doesn't narrow it down a great deal, but work on the basis it's not *that* big a deal anyway - ultimately it's your skill that's going to win/lose you games - not your racket.

Karakal, Ashaway, and Carlton are all very reputable brands, by the way - no problems there.

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Advance players who stop for a long while generally still have the foundation just that they need practise to get back the timing for the strokes. What you lack would be the speed, strength and stamina that you have during your younger days, however, you also gain in terms of patience and not so prone to making rash decisions.

Since you should be able to achieve you previous advance level much easier than a person who had to start from the basics, you can also consider increasing your budget so that you have more choices.

You didn't mention if you play singles or doubles, but since you are offensive, you should look at something with a stiffer shaft and even or heard heavy balance. Karakal make great racquets, I am so impressed that I have 2 now and probably going to get another one. The Mtec70 and SL70 is probably not suitable for you as it is very light and is better for defensive play, look at the Mtec75/80 if you are a offensive doubles and the Mtec85 if you are a singles player.

4. bippi_cp

bippi_cp Regular Member

System Administrator
    hi friend you can buy ashaway kevlar 7000SQ, i have this racket and it's very good to power play, i have purchased this racket only one aim to smash or otherwise you can buy yonex Ti10.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I would go for the MTec 70. I own one and have another 2 on the way. The first one didn't break or anything horrible, I just want some spares.

People say it's not a good attacking racket but believe me, add a load of lead to it and it is. It's incredibly light so adding lead doesn't make it cumbersome and with a BP (balance point) of over 320mm (330-250 would be my choice), your smashes will have never been faster. Defence is still good due to the light weight. The best technique to use for a leaded up MTec 70 is the "golf club". Just take really fast really aggressive swings at all/most attacking shots and watch the shuttle go through the floor.

The SL-70 is the oval version of the MTec 70. It's incredibly light (the same as the MTec) but oval headed meaning the sweetspot is smaller. Personally, I don't see a reason for getting this over the MTec 70 but if you prefer oval headed rackets, you may disagree.

I don't rate the Carlton Fireblade elite, it's too headlight for me and I've never tried the Ashaway. I just can't give enough praise to the MTec 70 though. It's an awesome racket.