Malaysia Badminton - Where is the next generation?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Loh, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    New Straits Times

BADMINTON: Where is the next generation?
    By K.M. Boopathy

2008/12/24

LEE Chong Wei's silver-medal feat in the Beijing Olympics and a triple triumph at the season-ending Super Series Masters Finals were the only real high points for Malaysian badminton in 2008. If anything, it was a year which highlighted numerous chinks in the armour, with even Chong Wei's Olympics final showdown against China's Lin Dan displaying how vast the difference in standard is between the two.

Still, a silver is much better than the medal-less outings of the 2000 and 2004 Olympics and a return on the heavy government-led investment in badminton.

However, it has to be said that in the current climate, Malaysia's wait for gold may well continue even after the 2012 London Olympics unless reinforcements are found.

Chong Wei is unlikely to repeat his feat and with no solid players emerging as potential replacements, Malaysia are staring at the possibility of having no men's singles player to rely on.

Chong Wei Feng, Arif Latif, Tan Chun Seang and Liew Daren are nowhere near world class and the BA of Malaysia should be worried.

All are in their early 20s, an age when Chong Wei was already making heads turn and if BAM wants continuity, it must pay more attention to the younger players.

They must be given adequate chances to impress and if they fail, new players must be brought in.

National singles coach Misbun Sidek has worked wonders with Chong Wei but he must be taken out of his comfort zone and given new challenges.

For Chong Wei, his personal target next year should not only be to end Lin Dan's dominance but also keep an eye on the emergence of new talent from China's reservoir of players.

BAM, perhaps, isn't too worried about the lack of quality singles players due to the strong men's doubles but it will be unwise to place high hopes on the pairs.

Undoubtedly, national coach Rexy Mainaky has several pairs with potential but inconsistency remains a major problem.

Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong spent the entire year in wretched form, climaxed by their failure in Beijing, but showed glimpses of their potential by beating Olympic champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan twice in the last two months.

The Indonesians ended Kien Keat-Boon Heong's Beijing adventure in the last eight.

But Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who set the badminton world alight with their swashbuckling style in the first half of 2007, have the talent but need to stay on the right track if they are to clinch the world title in India next year.

Zakry Latif-Faiuzizuan Tazari, at best, can only be termed as occasionally brilliant and this was seen when they won back-to-back the Singapore and Indonesia Super Series titles.

But that was just about it and Rexy surely knows he has to also focus on others to ensure Malaysian doubles had a bright future.

There are at least another four pairs who have the potential to be world class and Rexy must start paying them more attention.

Women's doubles Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui ended the year refreshingly by winning the Denmark Open and Masters Finals.

They reached four Super Series finals since the Olympics but the question is, what is there after them?

Ranked World No 2 now, Pei Tty, 27 and Eei Hui, 26, are capable of holding on until the 2010 Asian Games but the future will be bleak if replacements are not identified soon.

There is some promise in Ng Hui Lin-Goh Liu Ying but their development will depend on BAM as it needs to expose them.

Other pairs should also be found and BAM must also focus on the mixed doubles in the bid to win medals in the 2012 Olympics.

As for women's singles Wong Mew Choo, her career looks set to be ended by injuries and the emphasis should now be on Julia Wong and Lydia Cheah in order for Malaysia to, at least, challenge for honours at the Sea Games and Commonwealth Games.

For BAM, Chong Wei's silver triumph was rewarded by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak's full support for a RM24-million academy in Taman Maluri, Kuala Lumpur, and that should motivate BAM to find the next generation of players.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  3. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

i am sure BAM is doing something about it. Let's wait and see. Actually we are only weak in the singles department. with more emphasis and exposure to the juniors i am sure we may have a chance to find another Chong Wei or Mew Choo.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I have posted before that not only MAS is facing problem finding the next LCW so do countries like INA with its proud history of baddy achievements, Den and Kor, and that accounts for 4 of the top 5 baddy playing nations. CHN on the other hand has an abundant of players so much so that players like XXZ, CH, ZM are not needed and has to 'retire' early. And in the recent CO08, we had a [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']gimpse of CHN new talents and I wonder who else in hiding/playing in CHN that are just as good. When LCW, TH, SDK, PG are gone, just making CHN national team or winning CHN national championship where players are out to beat each other may be more challenging than SS. And in the women's dept, there is really no contest, CHN will dominate;) [/FONT]

5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i hope not, if not it will be boring lol

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Like it or not, we gotta admit it that we are in serious trouble.

London 2012 is gonna be upon us in no time. And LCW at 30 when London 2012 comes around will not win us that gold. If the lad is unable to win it during his peak, he aint gonna cut it on his way down. Thats reality. And we gotta wake up to that fact. Plus if you look at our history, our shuttlers are on their way down once they hit their late 20s. We are unlike the Danes.

It would be a shame if we have the likes of LCW, HH and WCH lining up for us come London 2012. And at our current status quo, I think thats gonna happen because I really dont see any stand outs amongst our juniors. I hope, I really hope in this coming 18 months, one or better still some of them can step up to the plate but I think the probability of that happening is almost next to nothing.

Maybe the best alternative is to look beyond London 2012. Maybe it is the 2016 Olympics that we should be targeting. Forget about the Indons, Danes etc. We should worry and address our own issues.

BAM should set their house in order. Have clear policies and direction. I agree our juniors should earn their way based on merit. And I support BAM in sending them to lower ranked tournaments first and let the juniors earn their way. BUT BAM must be consistent. And there should be no exceptions. To make exceptions for the MO & KO is so typical of BAM shooting themselves in the foot. It is very simple, our juniors must be taught to stand on their own feet. They must earn their rights to play in the SS by doing well first in those lower ranked tournaments. Take away that subsidy mentality from them early. BAM must put in place administrators who know something about administering and managing the sports. And the officials and coaches at BAM must also be appraised based on performance and results. It would also help if we rope in some ex-greats like Tan Yee Khan, Eddy Choong as a think tank group to advise BAM. Review current coaches like Rashid Sidek, are their effective? If not, get someone else capable.

Setting BAM house in order is not good enough. We also need to get the Education Ministry on board. Why? We need to get teachers who are trained or hold some teaching cert on badminton coaching at the school level. We dont want any Tom, **** or Harry coaching our school children the wrong techniques. We need to get the game right at grassroot level.

Lastly, we need to hold back on those rewards. It sends out a wrong message. For example, making LCW a Datuk is a wrong move because the guy have won nothing major. Legends like Tan Yee Khan, Ng Boon Bee, Tan Aik Huang, Eddy Choong should be made Datuks way before LCW. This kind of thing sends out the wrong message to our juniors. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against dishing out rewards, BUT lets reward for performance.

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    erm...mind me to ask???i am young...so...please answer me...do media,fans asking same question...same question as this after 2004 athens og???
    when wch is top there...no ppl at the back???...then...where lcw are in athens og???beaten in 2nd round by chen hong???
    ...do we have wmc in 2004 og???do we have wong/chin in 2004 og???
    PLAYER nid time to rise to expectation...
    go ask bam how many tourney they send cwf/arif/tcs/liew daren go?this year???where is lydia and julia???always absent in ss???
    we have talent...but....what bam do for them???

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The last time I heard, Rexy is splitting Mak Hee Chun/Teo Kok Siang and Hoon Thien How/Ong Soon Hock....two of MAS's possible hopes in MD for 2012 and beyond. That's one interesting move.

I would have thought Hoon/Ong showed decent enough performance in recent tourneys....while Mak/Teo is arguably MAS's biggest hope considering they just bagged a WJC title this year?

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli

ong is good...but...too old for 2012...;)...another uncle like lee/chong???...
    badmania...if u watch mak/teo match in copenhagen vs paaske/rasmusen...u will know they realy good...:D...if not teo unforce error so many...and several service fault call for mak...they atleast grab a set...;)

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

First of all, can you restructure your question or questions? Honestly, I find it tough to understand what you are trying to ask.

As far as talents are concerned, we need to ensure our emerging talents can stand out in the real world, not fade away. Go to any school and you will see there are thousands playing badminton at school and state level. These are all 'talents'. The question is how do we nurture these young talents so that they can develop into world class shuttlers?? Do we have organised badminton at grassroot level?

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think...
    ms
    cwf can consider as mas hope for future...he beat cj(og bronze medalist) in india gp gold...dont give me excuse tat chen jin injured as lyb wont so stupid...want cj to play tourney with injury in og qualify period...
    tcs is almost a gone case if he didnt buck up as soon as he can...another ykb???
    arif...yes...he is 2 year younger than cwf...he can wait for 2016???or...he will fight with cwf for 2nd og ticket to london???i think cwf will be the one who qualify...
    liew daren???more good result needed to get my attention...just like chan kwong beng

ws...
    julia and lydia is surely fighting to replace wmc as mas no.1 ws player...lydia have the ability to beat julia...i think lydia nid another 1 year to match julia ability...and...julia should be very mature at 2010 ag...

md...beside koo/tan
    i watched mak/teo match this morning...they is good enough for mas until 2020...another atleast 12 bright years for them...teo beat the 33/32 years old experienced pair at the net...and mak smash is nicely break tru danes defence...just defence for angled placememnt they lost to danes with teo mistakes return to net...wise play for danes...to win the match....
    razif and tan wee kiong should be stand strong for making their attempt for london og...along with hoon...3 of them is the current best in the same batch...

wd...
    ng hui lin and goh liu ying...without a doubt...goh is such a player tat hunger for victory...mas hope is all on her...wkw unable to beat them many time in national circuit when pair with sabrina...but...she beat ng/goh in aug...when pair with alicia aa...won 3 gold as same as tan wee kiong did...show us tat not to discount her...
    and also haw chiou hwee from klrc...she is just 20...twice xd sukma champion...she quit for a while...then...she back with a nzo runner up...after long break...

xd...
    i will say koo/wong is the best...for next generation...i go to lim/ng(in future) and also lim/lutfi...lim/lutfi is mas ic champion...beat many top seeded player there...include mak(or teo)/vivian...in semis...

well...just my personal opinion...u can disagree...

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ok...one simple question...do mas have the same problem after athens og???;)..same worry?;)...

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I believe our problems goes back way before Athens. In a nutshell, our fundamentals are not right. We dump in loads of cash each year, but the results are not encouraging.

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    so... can we have more than a silver for mas in og if bam pay high than rm 500 a month???(yes...they raise the salary...but...not all player salary been raised...some player need to earn from their state ba to continue their tough life...:rolleyes:)even passport money also paid by player themself...:rolleyes:...

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Isn't Mohd Razif Abdul Latif 23 yo? He better show something good next year :cool: And isn't the partnership with Tan Wee Kiong also gonna be split up? He has Chan Peng Soon as his new partner for the MAS SS 2009.

Teo Kok Siang is going to be partnered with Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid. Ong Soon Hock will have Vountus Indra Mawan. Ong Jian Guo will be with Khoo Chung Chiat, Hoon Thien How with Lim Khim Wah, Mak Hee Chun with Tan Wee Kiong, and Goh Wei Shern with Lin Woon Fui.

Those who have quitted the National Team or currently representing club:
    Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah
    Chan Chong Ming/Chew Choon Eng
    Gan Teik Chai/Tan Bin Shen
    Hong Chieng Hun/Ng Kean Kok

#15 badMania, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes..u are correct...but...just to experiment...i think the top 2 or 3 pair will be keep as md player(beside koo/tan,fuzzy and lin/goh tat will remain permenant)...repatnering again...ong soon hock,lin sure another mas player tat quit bam...surely...;)...REXY WILL conclude the result in 2010...then...repairing those tat remain as md player...;)...other will either a single player(for vountus i think)...or xd player...like lutfi...;)

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You need to know we are not going to win more than a silver by raising monthly salaries!! Or else even Brunei can buy that gold medal. Salaries and winning the medals in the Olympics or SS titles are two different things.

I am not sure whether there is a RM500 salary but lets say there is for the juniors. I have no issue on this as I think juniors (be it in badminton or football or ballet) start out with very little money. When these juniors proved themselves, they will be earning more. This is what reward for performance is all about. A junior lawyer for example, is paid less than RM500 till he/she completes a 9 month chambering stint.

I give you another real example, some years ago I played football competitively and managed to reached up to the national juniors level. And dude, I was not paid tens of thousands of RM. We were given small allowances. No Addidas boots deal or etc etc.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if u didnt have enough money to buy something to eat...will u have time to surfing in bc???same theory...if ur living not secure...how u train with 100%?;)(i mean junior and back up)

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As for Ong Soon Hock and Lin Woon Fui, they are old enough to be considered as "future" hope. The same goes for Khoo Chung Chiat and Mohd Razif Abdul Latif.

Question marks for:
    Tan Wee Kiong (still unconvincing both in MD and XD), Goh Wei Shern, Ong Jian Guo, Mohd Lufti Zaim Abdul Khalid, Vountus Indra Mawan.

There may be hope for:
    Mak Hee Chun, Lim Khim Wah (watched them during HKG Open 2007...quite impressed by them before they are split up), Teo Kok Siang (the fact that he's a WJC winner), Hoon Thien How (ditto, and he has enough experience in the past 2 years).

20. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

i think our men doubles are very strong and we have every chance of grabbing a medal in 2012. Our women doubles are improving- i have watch some of the junior played in the interstate team- Vivien Hoo and Shervon of KL impress me. I feel that Hui Lin's sister is pretty good.

Hui Ling and Goh of course is the current top pair for the elite group. they could make it big.

our doubles department have improve.

MX- Koo/Ng is ok... but i also feel Khe Wei is good 2 provided she has a good partner. Vivien Hoo and Shervon could be someone to watch.

As far as the singles side is concerned- i hope that BAM will look for a good single coach who can groom some single players up. This is a weak link in the BAM lineup.

Maybe Rashid could do something but he needs new ideas. Players have been stagnant for too long. There are some good single players in the junior camp but what is worrying is that those players who performed during their junior days cant make the grade in the senior level. surely there is something wrong here. :crying:

Maybe they could get someone as good as Rexy...