Backhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jba, Jul 26, 2002.

1. jba

jba Regular Member

When playing a backhand overhead clear is there any advantage putting your thumb along the thinner edge of the grip rather than the large edge

2. gerry

gerry Regular Member

If you mean holding the racket in a sort of " pan handle " grip, I think it would be more of a disadvantage for most people as the grip isn't as strong as the traditional " thumb" control normally used on the backhand side, the only time that I use that grip is when I've been caught out on the backhand and the shuttle is well behind me, using that grip allows my racket head to face the net whilst playing the shot, if I used the traditional method there is no way my wrist could contort to enable the racket head to face the net.
    In saying that I have seen players use that grip for the backhand but I'm not sure if it's for an advantage or simply just habit.
    Would be interested in other opinions.

3. modious

modious Regular Member

I don't think there's any advantage in doing so and it isn't the correct technique.
    You need to put your thumb straight on the large edge of the grip. The thumb is needed to push the racket forward.
    Your elbow must be "up" and not down when executing a backhand as well, that's what my coach told me.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a rotated backhand grip is sometimes used for cross court net drops. the rotated grip gives the extra angle needed i have actually seen coaches taught this technique, but i am not sure how (un)orthdox it is.

as for clears, you should use the regular backhand grip. is there a reason you want to deviate from the norm?

5. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I think it depends on where and when you reach the shuttle, normally if the shuttle is alongside or not to far behind you, you should be able to play a X court drop without too much trouble with the traditional backhand grip, it's when it's dropping far behind you and you are reaching that's when you really have to change your grip.
    Orthodox or unorthodox........whatever feels comfortable for you.

as for clears, you should use the regular backhand grip. is there a reason you want to deviate from the norm?

Good question.....I would also like to know the answer to that.

#5 gerry, Jul 26, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  6. jba

jba Regular Member

Backhand Grip

I find if the shuttle is behind me it is quite difficult to play a backhand overhead with my thumb on the large edge.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Backhand Grip

I believe that issue is addressed in the above links that I provided.:cool:

8. jba

jba Regular Member

Cheung

Cheung,
    The links were very useful - Thanks. Out of interest what type of grip do you use.