Yonex Vintage Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Faure, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Faure

Faure New Member

Hi guys,

Do you collect any Yonex vintage rackets? Care to share some of your recollections/experiences about these rackets?

Woodies

B1000 Queen Heart
    B2000 King Dia
    B3000 Collegiate
    B4000 Collogiate Deluxe
    B5000 Five Ace
    B6000 Five Ace Deluxe
    B9000 Hy-Stainless (Introduced in 1976)
    B9100 Slim Stainless (Introduced in 1976, has a slimer shaft which is as slim as the Blacken)
    B9300 Carbonex 3 (Introduced in 1978, one of the very first Yonex rackets to have a carbon shaft)

Aluminium/Steel Frame

B4500 Alumina Spright
    B5300 Alumina53
    B5400 Alumina54
    B5500 Alumina55
    B7000 Alumina Ace
    B8000 Alumina Hy-Power
    B8100 Blacken (Introduced in 1976)
    B8300 Carbonex 7 (Introduced in 1978, one of the very first Yonex rackets to have a carbon shaft)
    B8500 Carbonex 8 (Introduced in 1979)

I wonder if some of you guys played with Blacken before. It was slimer and heavier than most rackets during the early 80s. It gives killer smashes.

And the Carbonex 8 of course. It was way too expensive for me back then but I had opportunites to borrow the use of these rackets from my friends.

Some pictures of the woodies can be found in the following website which is maintained by a Japanese sports teacher. The unidentified woodie with the pink paint job is the B9000.

http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~toshiaki/racket.html

#1 Faure, Jul 27, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2002
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    has one used B6000 five ace deluxe
    has 3 brand new blacken with factory string
    one U-G3 cab 20 red
    sold one B5400 aluminium :(

#2 cooler, Jul 27, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2002
  3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

For Yonex woodies, I used one with pink paint (9000?) and one with brown paint. The metal racket I used had a green head.

Although Yonex always made good rackets, for wood rackets, I preferred my Kennex and my Victor. For metal, I used the Carlton 3.7.

The Carbonex 8 was a great racket.

4. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

For wooden rackets, didn't Slazenger make the best ones back then?

:)

5. pinoysmash

pinoysmash Regular Member

Architect
    Faure,

those rackets you mentioned are far most the oldest ive heard, i still play with my Carbonex 9 full carbon shaft and its great for smashes with the newer strings from yonex.. i just broke my Carbonex 22 early this year..

6. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Carbonex 9, cool!! I still can find some international player using it, but I do not know their name......:(

I have a yonex B8100 in the oldest logo. Since the string is too loose and I don't know the playability of this racket. I have 2 Carbonex 8 and 1 navy colour Carbonex 20. I also have a Dunlop badminton racket (all wood), a Kawasaki (wooden head and steel shaft) and Carlton CSX (All steel). I enjoy collecting old racket very much.

I can find a shop still has 3 B8100 in Hong Kong

7. pinoysmash

pinoysmash Regular Member

Architect
    FYung

I like the Carbonex 8! I played with that racket for a week and the owner doesnt want to sell it to me..hahaha I remember the Navy blue Carbonex20, but my father instead got the Carbonex22 and gave it to me after a few weeks in the early 1980s. When i went to the southern part of the philippines, a few of my team mates tried it and wanted to trade it with another racket..but unfortunately, it broke from the 3:00 position from a clash in a tournament..

So there was this former Philippine team member and sold me 2 new Carbonex 9 in pristine condition, no strings yet! I gave one to an old friend for christmas..i use it for warmups and training sessions..:)

8. forrestyung

Salesman
    Cab 9 is really a great racket!! What is the different between Cab 8 and Cab 9 (other than colour)? I have tried these two rackets when I was very small and poor technique, so I don't know the performance different.

Does there anyone agree that the quality of old YY logo rackets are better than the new logos? It is my strong feeling.:mad:

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    FY

i believe the cab9 is a bit more stiffer than cab8. Cab 9 is the ultimate MD racquet. Cheah soo kit and ricky subaja used it until they retired even though they could use yonex's newer products.

10. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Dear all,

As far as I know, the shaft of Cab 9 has more carbon layers than that of Cab 8.

Hence, Cab 9's shaft is a bit more stiffer than Cab 8's. The control aspect will be better in the case of Cab 9.

P.S. In the past, one of my friend had ever cut off the shafts of two broken Cab 8 and Cab 9, and found the shaft of Cab 9 have more carbon layers.

YY Fan

11. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

Hey there. I'm currently using a cab 7 long 2U G2 haha. wow 1978 thats old. Even though this is an old racket i find it to be pretty good. I can't believe it costs 110 to buy it at this site http://www.badmintonpage.com/index.htm . If u don't believe me check it out :p even though this thing is so old. I'm like a person who needs to refine their skillls b4 i screw up a decent racket so i'm sticking with this thing :D

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If it is the original cab7, then I think it is the racquet that the legendary Zhao Jian Hua used to win his first AllEngland championships back in 1985.

1985 was also the 1st appearance of the cab20. It might have been launched at the Japan Open of that year.

13. double

double Regular Member

I think Zhao was using Cab-9 in 1985 All England from the video I saw:confused:

Anyone can confirm?!

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Zhao's racquet in 1985 AE definately didn't have the gold or silver markings of the cab9. I'm not sure cab9 was available then.

I know there was the cab7,8, 10(t-piece),15 (t-piece)....in 1985

15. double

double Regular Member

Cab-9 was available at that time already, Morten Frost was using it before switching to Carlton, I saw a picture of him holding the cab-9(winning all england).

I think Zhao was using a Gold Cab-9 that time, I saw the yellowing colour...not very clear picture though.

BTW, it's really a great match.:cool:

16. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Dear Double,

Trust me ! Zhao definitely used Cab 7 (B-8300) to win the AE 1985. At that time, he used an orange towel grip and with a black YY logo (painted by stencil ink) on the string, all these were remarkable.

Cab 7 is in all brown, with a T-joint, joining the aluminium frame and the carbon coated shaft.

Motern Forst was using Cab 8 (B-8500) in orange to conquer the champion of AE 1982. He was not holding a Cab 9.

Besides, I am sure Cab 9 was available in the mid of 1985.

Double, do you have the video of Zhao vs Morten in the AE 1985 ? If you have, can you lend it to me ?

YY Fan

17. double

double Regular Member

oic! Thanks for the information.:)

Sorry I don't have the video myself, I had seen the video before but with really terrific quality:mad:

18. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

19. RyviuS

RyviuS Regular Member

crap didn't know the pic was so huge. sory

20. forrestyung

Salesman
    Dear All,

Other the Legend Cab 7, Cab 8, Cab 9, Cab 10, Cab 15 and Cab 20. At the same time period, is there anyone remember BX 801, 802 and 906? Is there any body have tried them?