mp45 or woven 8?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jrom16, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jrom16

jrom16 Regular Member

n/a
    I recentely bought both racquets but I unfortunately fractured my wrist so i'll be out for a month or so. :mad: I need tips on what racquet I should use for primary weapon and for backup since I'm not able to test it out. I'm planning to use this thread so that when my injury is healed, I can start practicing with the preferred racquet. Any comments or questions is appreciated. :)

Also, both racquets are strung at 25lbs. I'm a singles player who will use drop shots and clears often. J-smashing is my last resort. :p

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I would recommend the Woven over the MP as I'm not a great fan of the Muscle Power range, I've just never seen the point in having average power and control when I could do much better for the same price. The MP99 was a good racket but has now been discontinued.

Anyway, back on to a racket for you; the Woven 8 is awesome but I'd also recommend you try the Karakal MTec 85 and 80 before you make a decision. Both are fine rackets.

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No one can really tell you what racket YOU like the most ;-) ..

Me personally, would take the W8 any day over an MP45 :)

/Twobeer

4. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

I would do the same, the W8 is the perfect all around racket.

5. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Racquets are very personal choice and the best is to test out the racquets yourself.

I think most of the forumers will recommend you the W8 as the MP45 doesn't have good performance.

My philosophy in buying racquets is for Yonex racquets, get their high end range, else if budget is limited, look at other brands.

6. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

That last advise is Yoda like. However, remember many of the top end Yonex rackets are rather stiff and might not suit your style of play. Just because the Pro's (your fav player) uses the racket sadly doesn't mean it's perfect for you. There may be other brands out there that suit you better like SOTX, APACS or RSL. APACS Canada has a website that lists their rackets basic specs and so does RSL. I don't know if SOTX has a website in english but there are many reviews on their rackets on this forum. "My Badminton Shop" has many rackets and some of them have reviews so they could be worth a look.

Tim H

PS> The SOTX Woven 8 would leave the Yonex MP45 for dead, not in the same class.

7. jrom16

jrom16 Regular Member

n/a
    danstevens, I was looking into karakal racquets myself but they don't sell it here in canada. And I don't plan on buying it on the internet because i've heard there are alot of fakes. =/

twobeer & bluecraze07, I thought so too, just wanted another opinion from someone more experienced than me. thanks!

teoky I really do think that racquets are a very personal choice. But sometimes your choice may not be the best one. For example, I bought a sotx lg 600 and I thought light was very good..until one day it snapped from a smash. Even the tension wasn't very high.

tim h, I may look up to the pro's but I don't like copying what they have (racquets, shoes, etc) cause everyone has their own style of play. I really do prefer sotx over yonex because personally, i don't have the budget. Anyways i take a look at those reviews. Thanks again!

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Glad to hear you're thinking about this carefully. As far as I know, there are no fake Karakal rackets out there (people mainly fake Yonex rackets). Buy from a reputable retailer/e-tailer and you'll be fine.

I agree with you that rackets are a very personal choice, make your own decision and try to play with rackets you are considering before you buy. Definitely don't go for what the pros use, what Peter Gade/Lin Dan/Taufik Hidayat/anyone else uses is irrelevant to you. Choose a racket that suits you, not them.

Good luck.