Organising tournaments for clubs

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Timbuctoo, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Hello people's. Almost 2009 so I thought I might ask one final question of you all.

Tournaments in most clubs are generally knock-out round robin style setups. Do any of you have any other interesting tournament formats that might be more imaginative. There will be a mixture of beginners to advanced players involved so the format has to appeal to all levels and also to those that like social play but also those of the competitive breed like myself!!

I know that you can have a round robin and a grade A, B & C for example but that would be to easy and not so imaginative.

Please post your reponses here!!

Tim H

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With so many different grades of players it might be difficult to be creative.

Lucky Dip:

Perhaps one way may be to do a 'lucky dip'. :D
    Say choose a category consisting of only D and C grades (Standards are not too far apart). Separate their names in two containers. Then draw simultaneously one D with one C as partner and continue until every name has been drawn.

Similarly for grades B and C. Do the same lucky dip.

Then the competition will be on a more level playing field, I hope. And the players will have to get to know their partners better. This is more a fun tournament.

Age-Grouping

We have what is called a Masters tournament among various clubs in Singapore. Irrespective of their standards, two players' age must match up to a minimum total.

Age-Group 50 - A is 20, B is 31
    AG 60 - A 20, B 40 or A 30, B 35
    AG 100 - A 46, B 55, etc, etc

Just some ideas that came to my head. :D