New Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Squiderick, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Squiderick

Squiderick Regular Member

Hey, im in desperate need of a new racket, preferably yonex, but i dont want to spend anything over around £50, i've been playing casually for about 6 years and i'd consider myself amateur. any names of rackets and where i can get them would be great help. :rolleyes:
    thanks! :D

2. krisss

krisss Regular Member

It really depends on what type of player you are , if you could tell us then i could try and help. I would also say , have a look at some smaller brands , some of them have really good rackets that would be under £50

3. Squiderick

i guess im an all round player veering on offensive. :D

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

well i would suggest a head heavy racket , but really it does depend a lot. So many different choices ,try looking around. But i would suggest a head heavy racket for your offensive shots.

#4 krisss, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

what was your old racket?
    - why do you need the new racket
    -any other considerations?

6. Squiderick

um it was a yonex isometric :D

ive had the same one for about 4 or 5 years and i need a change :D

im really fairly open for suggestion as long as its affordable :)

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Karakal MTec 80? It's a good allround racket and should be reasonably priced for you if you are in Norwich, UK. The MTec 80 weighs 80 grams (unstrung and no grip) and is leaning toward being slightly head heavy. For an allrounder, it should be fine Expect to pick it u for about £48. There is a tattoo limited edition MTec 80 which has the same specs but a different colour scheme and costs slightly more. This is an awesome racket too but as you're on a tight budget, just a normal MTec 80 will suffice.

8. Squiderick

cool! that looks good! what about the yonex MP 22lt? i saw that somewhere for around the same price.

9. Danstevens

Student
    The MP22LT isn't a completely catastrophically awful racket. Infact, it's reasonably good. However, I think the Karakal will offer better value than the Yonex as it is a high end racket that everyone can use. I'll give you an example; I would be quite happy with an MTec 80 and I'm an advanced player but my some of my friends who are beginners would also be able to use it without any trouble. As you say you're not an advanced player (yet ;)), you'll need a racket that's fairly easy to use. The MTec 80 is. As you are on a budget, you can't get much from the Yonex camp that's worth buying. I like the MP22 as a beginners' racket, but for the money it costs, you could do considerably better (cough MTec, cough). The MTec 80 is really meant to be a high end racket but due to its slightly flexible shaft (nowhere near as flexy as the MP22 but not stiff either) beginners can use it too. I think as a cheap racket that will stand the test of time, the MTec 80 is a better choice.

The MP22 is a very nice looking racket but Yonex paint chips very easily so within a little while of playing doubles, your new(ish) racket will look very battle scarred. If you want your racket to be with you for a long time, you may find the paint chips frustrating. I did when I owned a Yonex Arcsaber 10. Also, if you intend to string at even moderately high tensions with the Yonex; you'll void your warranty. Don't worry, it can take much higher tensions than 17-22Lbs (the first MP22, the sky blue one is 2U and can go to 24Lbs) but if anything else goes wrong, Yonex can and most probably will blame you for stringing it at to high a tension. Karakal warrant their rackets all the way up to the heady heights of 30Lbs, probably far higher than you'd ever dare to go. I just think the Karakal MTec 80 is a better choice even though the MP22 isn't at all bad.

10. Squiderick

ok, thanks for your help!

11. Squiderick

hey, ive been looking around and i came across a karakal aero speed 860 for about £30 is this a good buy?

12. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Well, it's about the going rate - that model is fairly low down in the Karakal range.

For 39.99GBP you could get the MTec85 (milletsports) - it's 5g heavier than the MTec80, so it might even suit you better (heavier makes it easier for a beginner to get power).

To be honest, with the amount you're going to end up spending on club membership, transport to/from sports hall, strings, clothing, etc etc; an extra 10 or 20 pounds on a racket is nothing. There's no need to spend 100+ on the latest Yonex, but you shouldn't skimp on a racket either.

13. Danstevens

Student
    Great post. You really don't want to skimp on the racket as you'll be using it rather a lot and it may have to last you a while.

I'd still defend my choice of the MTec 80 but the MTec 85 is awesome too. If you're really on a budget, go for the 85, if not, consider how much weight you like and make your decision.

14. Squiderick

good point well made! ahh just when i thought i was settled on a racket, i saw the SL 80, its about the same price and in my opinion it looks better, is this as good as the mtec 80?

15. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

different head shapes. i think. Mtec is iso, while SL is more oval.

16. Squiderick

is that the only difference?

17. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Yes - that and the paint job.

18. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The material and technology used for the SL and the MTEC is the same just the head shape and paintwork is different

19. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Get a cheap Apacs EdgeSaber 10. You'd be surprised how well you can adapt to it. I no longer go for Yonex stuff anymore.

20. Squiderick

ok, turns out im broke, so i need a cheaper racket thats still good. also, ive been playing more offensive recently, any help would be great. :)

p.s the cheaper the better ;)