Kason Racquet Choices

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by hamusta, Dec 31, 2008.

1. hamusta

hamusta Regular Member

Hey all! :)

Im new to this wonderful forums and also to the badminton. Here are some details about me that might help.

***: Male
    Height: 175cm
    Weight: 80kg
    Skill: Novice
    Current Racquet: Yonex Muscle Power 15 Light (3U)
    Play time: Aleast 2hrs a week
    Games: Only doubles
    Game Style: loves to smash
    Weakness: Backhands and court movement
    Budget: 100AUD (give or take a bit)
    Info on Australia: 100AUD is a MP10 and brands here are mainly yonex.

So, i need a new racquet because my brother would like my one. I have played with a few racquets (MP15, Wilson V12(i liked this one), some crappy alloy made wilson and a 50AUS yonex isometric range) and have come to the conclusion that i prefer something light.... very light! After much research on these forums.. i have found the following that are available to me.

- Kason Carvel U-3
    - Kason Lepton F1
    - Kason Legerity L6

I can get the above racquets from about 100AUD each off the website http://www.e-badmintonusa.com.Anyone had experience with them before?

I would also appreciate if anyone could tell me more about these racquets. Im under the impression that they are all 5U. But is 5U strung or frame weight only? Is the build quality good? (my doubles partner is also a novice and we cross racquets a bit). Which one do you recommend? What is the real difference between them(very confusing! specs are all the same)?

Also, whats a good string and string tension? I know this is up to personal preference , but my experiences are limited. I've been told bg65 at 20lbs would be good for a beginner.

If anyone has some other racquet recommendations please post.

ps. I cant seem to find or post a Karakal SL 70 to Australia.

Thanks Alot
    Happy New Year!

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    If you like to smash, you may be better of with a Karakal MTec 70 (the iso version of the SL) or something heavier. If you want the 6U MTec 70, I wonder if Sunny (username: Karakalkat) would ship one to Australia. Why not drop him a PM and see?

I believe the weight of the Kasons is measured unstrung, much like Karakal's weight measurements. That's as far as I can help you, I'm afraid. I've had very little experience with the Kason rackets you ask about so there's no point me giving a view, it wouldn't be fair. However, I own an MTec 70 and love it. It's an awesome racket and if you can get one, I'm sure you'll love it too.

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Kason has good build quality and I think they probably has the largest range of 5U racquets of all the manufacturer. However, take note that those 5U Kason has a recommended max tension of between 18 - 20lbs.

I bought one 5U Kason for my friend, don't feel that it is a powerful racquet, just a decent racquet. It cost around S$100 and I will definitely chose the Karakal over it.

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

not the carvel. it can be supposedly strung to 26, and i have seen it strung to 30 pounds with no ill effects. i have also seen legerities strung at 28 pounds and such. however, if you want to claim warranty, then get the karakal.

#4 jymbalaya, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  5. hamusta

hamusta Regular Member

I've come to a conclusion that i would like one of these racquets.

Karakal MTec 70
    Karakal SL 70

What is the different between the two? I know the MTec is the iso of the SL (whats this mean?)

Also anyone know if people ship to Australia?

Thanks heaps.

6. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    The SL is the oval instead of iso. Iso has a bigger sweet spot bt its all on personal preference

7. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Iso = Isometric, refers to the shape of the head.

Look for Sunny, he will ship to Australia, his nick on this forum is Karakalkat.

8. Swingbadabada

Student
    [​IMG][​IMG]On the left you have the oval head and on the right the iso, you will see the iso is more squared. :)

9. hamusta

hamusta Regular Member

Hey!

Thanks for all the replies! All very helpful. I think im going to get the Karakal Mtec 70, ive spoken to Sunny and we are just discussing some details. What string and tension do you think is best for my game and skill level.

I play doubles only (i heard clashing at 30lbs = broken)
    enjoy smashing
    novice
    (1st post for more info)

thanks.

10. Swingbadabada

Student
    Now you're a novice so between 20-22lbs should be ok. I don't have this racket so it might be best to ask someone who does. Someone of you skill level should be able to handle it. Strings...i use BG80 and love them but it depends on preference BG80 is quite nice for smashing and you get a lovely sound.
    PS: Don't let somebody coax you in to getting your strings at 28-30lbs it will murder your game

11. Danstevens

Student
    You're about right with the clashing thing. I string at 28Lbs but I'm an advanced singles player so there's not that much danger of breakage.

Your a novice so I highly doubt you'll have the power or technique to be able to use high tensions and as you play doubles, you should string at slightly lower tensions anyway. Try 20-24Lbs with a good string, Yonex BG-80 or BG-85 or if you're on a budget, BG-65 isn't bad at all.

You made a good choice with the MTec 70 and Sunny is great, isn't he?

12. hamusta

hamusta Regular Member

Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the help. This i what i will be getting from Sunny. What do you think?

1x Karakal M-tec 70
    - Strung with Nano 68 at 21lbs tension
    1x Point 75 Air Grip Overwrap

incl shipping to australia (express 3day) will be total of 125USD. Im so excited :) Do you think this price is reasonable?

13. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Sunny recommended the Mtec 70 to you or you prefer it because it is light ? I prefer a heavier racquet as I can't seem to generate enough power from a light racquet though defense is awesome with a light racquet.

#13 teoky, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  14. hamusta

hamusta Regular Member

I'd prefer to have a light racquet, then a powerful one.

I've been using a wilson v12 (82g) for a the past couple of days. I find having a light racquet so much better compared to a heavy. The way i see it is im a beginner and i also play with other beginners so great power isnt that imporant in my current game. Maybe sometime in the future?

15. hamusta

hamusta Regular Member

paid and ordered my new mtec70. should get it sometime the coming week.

id like to thank all the people who have helped me out with my decisions.

thanks heaps :)

16. Danstevens

Student
    Excellent. Enjoy your racket when it arrives.

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Kason 300A,300Ti..but u'll need to adjust to it for some time.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Out of the whole list, I got an chance to try a friend's Kason Legerity L6 before. It's a very balanced and light racket. If you prefer the front role in doubles, it will be a good choice. Fairly balanced, and build in good quality. However, I think it lacks a bit power if you play singles or perfer the "bang bang" style in doubles. ;)