Wilson ncode durability

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by shot3gun, Dec 31, 2008.

1. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

Today, I have accidently broke my partner's wilson ncode racquet ><.
    What happened was I tried to return the smash during the center line and she tried to also return it at the same time, resulting in both racquets clashing.

My racquet (Cab 8600Ti) did not have a dent or chip, but my partner's wilson ncode's (forgot which model) frame snapped. Its funny how a crappier racquet could destroy a better one.

Moral of this: don't buy wilson ncode racquets. Yes they are light and easy to control, but the durability is horrible.

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Same story if you clash a steel racquet with an NS9K.

3. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

did you break your ns9k?

4. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

Is sad to say that your statement doesn't make sense by condemn this brand. Yonex is even worst than Wilson.

Any carbon graphite racquet will suffer internal injury after crash. It may not break immediately but it will become worst especially after heavy smash.

So when you interpret your Cab is survive and the nCode is gone and eventually condemn Wilson - Sound like you don't understand the trend.

Power without sacrifying Speed (Light Weight) is the trend nowdays.

If you really want to experience racquets that beneficial from the use of nano technology, I would said try Yonex ArcSaber 10 or Mizuno Tetracross 700. I just dare to say the real nano technology that benefit the players was the Nano Carbon Cup Stack Technology.

Yonex just know how to make money by advertising new technology terms into their racquets products. Their early Nano Speed racquet series is just gimmick (those who owned NS series will understand why I made this statement). Only Arcsaber series is a more mature nano-tech product.

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

explain.
    i think i am getting what you are saying, but..... i would love to hear the true meanings....

6. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    I wouldn't agree to say any particular brand is worse than the other. Today the trend is to have more performance than durability. Sometimes I think nowadays products are purposely designed to have a certain life length. Somehow this might be beneficial from business point of view :)

It's always been more performance, less durability.. more durability, less performance... The simplest form of example is in badminton strings. Most people know BG66 gives more power than BG65 but the durability is otherwise.

Put badminton examples aside, the same principle applies to most engineering products.
    Material technology is always developing. Now we can have both performance and durability but at a price... The ARCSABER 10 or TC 700 might just be good examples :)

Anyway we must also understand that a lot of less durable products are simply crappy!!!

For me... a Carbonex is a perfect balance, period...

Just my 2 cents!!!

#6 green.blood, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  7. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    my friend also broke a wilson ncode series racquet when he gt a mis hit at the side of the racquet. and the tension of the racquet was quite low (less then 24lbs)

8. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    i Broke my N7 just by flexing the racket... the frame near T joint breaks...
    i waste money.....

9. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    My friend also broke his Ncode in the shaft :eek: no misshit, no clash..........durability is poor but K-series is tough, i have K-blaze and my friend (beginner player) buy it from me so it have many clash with other but ended with no paint chip at all 'till now (already 5 months).....very very tough :D

10. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

if you have the nano series catalogue, pls do check the introduction where Yonex explain the nano grade carbon graphite is used. It was mention the 1 and 11 'o clock together with the upper shaft part was specially treated with the so called "Nano grade" carbon graphite stuff.

They also EXPLAINED the structure of these particular part was Thinner compare to conventional frame design.(said the box shape). So, this part already tell :-

1. NS series is fragile and it can't withstand high tension (>25 Ibs) compare to AT series.
    2. It is best recommended NS racquet owner to use the Yonex ES-Pro 5 stringing machine to do the job.(This part got nothing to do with the stringer skill). Why I say so, this machine do come together with a very special accessories [a small piece of rubber] which is to be place in front of the upper claw at 12 'o clock (apologize because i don't know the actual name of it). Do you have the picture ? Frame -> Rubber -> Claw. The purpose is to make sure the frame does not directly contact the "claw" and the rubber is to spread the force instead of concentrate at the 12 'c clock of the frame when you are pulling the main string.

Shame to declare that for the past 2 years, I've been trying a few Yonex racquets from MP-99, NS-9000x, NS-9000s, AT-900P, Yellow Ti-10 and Arc-10. What I've encounter was :-

1. MP-99 - 2 'o clock frame break during the 1st stringing job (25Ibs)[End up shift to other series]

2. NS-9x & s - 12 'o clock frame suffer hairline cracked during the 2nd and 1st stringing job respectively. Of course, it was not using the Yonex ES-Pro machine at that time. [Sent back to the dealer to claim a new one, then sell to someone]

One of my friend do owned 2 NS-8000 (1st generation) both was strung at 24Ibs. Both racquets only last him for 1/2 year due to the crack at 12 'o clock. No mis-hit, no crash and it just break like that.

AT and TI series is more safer compare to NS as I only encounter string & grommet sunk into the frame at 4 and 8' o clock. Hairline crack at 12' o clock is rare.

Maybe, some of the forum member will disagree or feel offended to what I've said but what I have understand is nano technology shouldn't be use just to thinner the frame in order to reduce the weight BUT is suppose to use to strengthen certain part of the racquet without sacrifying to much carbon graphite material.

#10 LouisW, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  11. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

no doubt, K factor series do give more solid feel when playing. It just an improve version of the early nCode series.

The cross section of nCode frame is quite thin. How do i know ? I pick up the n85 from the rubbish bin. :D

12. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

I think that can be claim provided the seller willing to help you. Because it is quite a rare case to break that part.

13. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

Please allow me to endorse the frame of Arc-10 is very solid. ;) Maybe is the best that Yonex has ever made.

14. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm with you on that one. I love the Arc10 - it's definitely my favourite Yonex racket.

shot3gun, why are you surprised that your Cab destroyed your friend's ncode? It's true when they say they don't make things like they used to; your Carbonex is like a tank compared to new rackets which you could liken to race cars. It was always gonna end in the Cab being fine and the ncode in pieces. I reckon most, if not all of my rackets would have suffered the same fate in that clash with yours.

15. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

:( no doubt old days yonex racquets like 2u 1st gen. Ti-10 is more durable compare to nowdays ATs. Most likely is cost factor.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Heard of Mr. Oldhand's stories of the Arc10 yet ?

17. Danstevens

Student
    I have. They worried me a little but I haven't had any trouble with mine.

18. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    i wonder if possible,,,,,
    i bought it in Stadium KLCC...
    it was discount 70%

so i don think i can claim about it

19. Danstevens

Student
    I think you can. No matter what discount you got, it's still a Yonex and still has warranty.

20. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    It is a wilson. and no warranty card on it.

and the purchase slip said
    Goods sold cannot be returned or changed.
    lol.....