What racket would be right for me?!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by lina340, Jan 1, 2009.

1. lina340

lina340 New Member

school
    I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestion for what racket I should get. Right now, I have a Babolat. I play in the front of the court (doubles) and i would consider myself as a advanced BEGINNER. Yonex would be on the top of my list but i don't really know which one to get (under 100$) I'm open to other brands. The flexibility I'm aiming for is medium. Also a racket that helps me improves with my smashes because right now all i do are drives. I'm mostly a defensive player.

Thanks a lot.

Lina

#1 lina340, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You should go for a head light racquet if you play in front of the court. A head light racquet allows you to react much faster and also won't tire you out since you need to keep your racquet head up most of the time.

Drive is a good technique, nothing wrong with it, but I guess you want to smash down shots near the net ? In that case, you need to be able to snap your wrist, you can't smash using arm if you are close to the net.

3. lina340

lina340 New Member

school
    Thanks a lot! I'll really use your recommendation.

4. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Lina, you must have a typo in your Location, San frandisco?

under your price range, for Yonex brand, look for Muscle Power, and Nanospeed models.

For Head brand, look under Nanopower.

Wilson, check out K-factor.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Is headlight the essential thing? Would not a balanced racket that is short (665cm) and 3U-4U do well at the front of the net too? ( I'm asking, not challenging. :))

If you are looking for good value, you could try the old SOTX Winner Kinsmen 8080+ . It is pretty cheap at ibuysports or puppysports. It is short, somewhat stiff, balanced, and pretty light. All this makes it very manouverable with decent power.

You should borrow a bunch of different rackets and see what you like. Or perhaps you should play around with the strings and the tension on the racket you have now--makes a big difference. Good luck.:)

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

if you are in San Francisco, you can go to Sunnyvale and visit Badminton Alley to try out the rackets there. the link is: http://www.badmintonalley.com/.

7. Moncky23

Moncky23 Regular Member

Badminton!
    I would recommend the Black Knight Photon PCV if you play front, But it is about $200 US.......

8. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

The photon isn't a beginner racquet...Its really light, but its power is hard to control...

9. lina340

lina340 New Member

school
    thank you everyone for your suggestions! I really apreciate it.

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

what babolat racket did you play with?
    i suggest stay with the babolat, because babolat rackets are pretty flexible, and pretty balanced.
    Work more on your technique, and preparation. If you try to smash when the bird is at net level, it wont go over.

11. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

haha, of course the bird won't go over the net if you smash it when it is at the net level.

12. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    It is good to have discussion, that's what forums are for, discussion and sharing of information etc.

A balanced and short racquet will also do well at the net but I always think that being in front doesn't mean that you stay there forever, you also need to move away sometimes. Also at the net doesn't mean you only hunt down those net shots, but if the opportunity arises, you also need to intercept and cut out those shots which are higher, for example opponent may do a drive or a clear which if you jump or stretch out your arm, u can reach it.

13. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

just wondering, where did you get the babolat racket? i have been searching for a shop, but it seems like i can never find a dealer or someone that has any.

14. bippi_cp

bippi_cp Regular Member

System Administrator
    Hi Lina,

I will suggest you for Ashaway rackets. Ashway Superlight 79SQ
    http://www.ashaway.co.uk/index.php?category=12&page=detail&pid=47
    Absolutely you can improve your techniqs and smash. This racket is absolutely light weight, this racket will suit for you. i think the cost of this racket is around 90 british pound. check the price for this racket on your native.

15. lina340

lina340 New Member

school
    i have a babolat fusecontrol and i got it at sports experts but they probably dont have it any more...you could check tho.

16. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    I know a store located in Montreal, its Tenniszone (website: Tenniszone.com) I don't know if they ship to the U.S but i think so, they have a North American phone number if you want to contact them about it,
    It's: 1-800-353-8661 (That is their main store, Its the only store that sales badminton equipement.)
    But should be able to ship, they have a international tab (It shows prcing in different currency's so they should ship, they also have an American tab showing the prices in USD:D)

#16 Maxphi5, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  17. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm gonna do what I normally do and recommend a Karakal MTec series racket. I think an MTec 75 with some lead added to the head would be a good choice. It's lighter than most rackets on the market and with some lead would be a light, moderately flexible, head heavy racket.

18. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

sorry guys, i meant within the US / Bay area. her original location was San Frandisco, which i stupidly assumed was san francisco. Thats why i asked.