Malaysia created history in CG!!!

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2002' started by whizkelv, Jul 29, 2002.

1. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Park Joo-bong has created grand history for Malaysia!

For the record, Chan Chong Ming-Choong Tan Fook's lost yesterday was Malaysia's first ever men's double lost in the Comonwealth mixed team event. Often, the Malaysian team were not able to do well in the mixed team event due to lack of depth in women's department. However, their men has never fail to provide the 2 points in whichever tie.

But yesterday's tie against England proved that Park Joo-bong deserves a place in Malaysian Guinness Book of Record! He has done the first for Malaysia!

Instead, it's women's player, Wong Mew Choo who saved Malaysia from an embarrasing 1-4 defeat. Malaysia's lost in any CG mixed team tie has always been 2-3.

Anyway, whoever responsible for such Malaysian 'achievement' should pack his bags and get lost!!!

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

As ALI mentioned, it is hardly Park Joo Bong's fault, I would rather point the finger at Chong Tan Fook, the guy who makes mistakes out of nothing. CTF and CKW will have to redeem themselves in the individual event as they will meet the same English pair again in the quaterfinals.

3. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

I'm with you wl2172. I believe the players themselves have to be well-prepared to take on the assigned tasks, and it's only logical to decide who to send judging from their performance during practice. If they play well in practice, then they will only have to be responsible for their poor performance on court.

Whatever it is, I think it's unfair to shift all the blame on Park. For all you know it might have been Chew who thinks he wasn't ready for such an important task. I don't think any coach would insist on sending the player in this case.

I think home crowds really make a difference. During the TC semifinal, Bao requested to play, but he was too psychologically burdened by the home supporters. This time, England took the crowd the right way and did a favour for themselves. It was the Malaysians who crumbled... :(

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Agreed. But they better not crumble in the individual events, or CTF and CKW can kiss their career good-bye, as new pairs are coming up as we speak. CTF and CKW will be meeting the same English pair again in Quarter or semins, I am not sure, but they will eventually meet if there are no upsets. Chan/Chew will meet Simon Archer and James something in semis, again if there are no upsets.

5. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Do not pin "too high" hopes on our pair!
    They are capable of losing to pairs ranked way below them when least expected.
    Choong-Chang may even lose to Indian or Singapore pairings!

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    lol, don't be so negatif!

7. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    Seriously speaking.. I won't be surprise if they lost to the Singapore double's team.

8. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

The 2 pairs are living to expectation so far in the individual competition.
    Choong Tan Fook-Chang Kim Wai has to make good of the opportunity in meeting the top English pair in the semis to regain their lost pride!!

9. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Malaysians redeemed themselves!

It's gold and silver for Malaysia in mens doubles!
    Congrats!!