Picking out 2 racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by what07, Jan 2, 2009.

1. what07

what07 Regular Member

Hello all! I'm currently new to this forum as a user but been reading for a couple of years now. Me and my brother are looking for new badminton racquets because we mostly doubles and sometimes singles. We are currently using Yonex's Isometric's 75 MF. I'm mostly a defensive player and not a smasher. He's the opposite. I have a more powerful/quicker swing but his hits are more accurate.

I'm currently browsing the net at all the brands I can look at but need some advice because I keep thinking of picking up Armortec 900 power and Tech.

2. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

wow what a lovely partner. Nice to play together with your relatives, especially your brother.
    I think I can't recommend more, as you have picked the right racket.
    Front double = 800def, 900T, arch 10
    Back double = 900P, 700, 800off
    You can also consider ti-10 for more all around but powerful enough.

3. what07

what07 Regular Member

Ty you h4n5ip for your reply. I was also looking at wilsons K blaze or metallix 10000 and 8000. The problem I'm thinking with the Armotech that if I use the 900 T then I'm limited to my smashes and he limited to his control since both racquets are not equal. Would it make more sense to buy an all around racquet like K blaze???

4. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    The At900T will not really limit your power, it gives MORE then enough power to "kill" off your opponent. I have the At700 and have demo'd the At900P and they don't really limit my control, the At700's control is great like the At900P, You won't reallly limit your smashes. Now I'm thinking, If your brother has the more accurate shot, why isn't he in the front and you have a more powerful shot so shouldn't you be in the back?

Btw all armortec's are head heavy balance so you have a balance between power and control:cool:
    The Head heaviness is good for smashing. So you won't lose your power.

Are you guys beginners? Because the K Blaze is flexy, if you have a powerful swing it will do you more harm, the contact wont be as "solide/hard" So then your shot will be weaker, but if you have a relatively weak swing, the flexibleness will "whip" your racket at the shuttle making it more powerful.

The Armortec 900's are Stiff, and the At700 is Categorized as extra stiff but feels less stiff because of the head heaviness, some people will argue that the At700 will feel even more flexy then the At900P (I find they are the same)
    But that's just my 2 cents :/
    Seems more like my 50 cents:p

#4 Maxphi5, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  5. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Maxphi5 was right.
    Why don't you play at the back while your brother set for the smash and control the game.

You will still get the power from 900T but of course 900P has greater power.

For the K blaze I never tried before.
    but again, it all depends on your skill and level of play.
    Most yonex rackets are stiff, it will give you more power if you have strong power.
    Stiff rackets make easy also to control.

6. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    K-Blaze is lack of power and too flex (for me) but still acceptable or at least average in smash but very good in defense :D Durability is excellent, very tough. If you have a powerful/quick swing dont use K-Blaze, i believe it would difficult to you to get power
    If you look for all rounder, very good defense and very good attacking power then at900T is the best (again, for me :p). At900P is more attacking minded and might be suit for your brother :D

@hansip
    hiiii :p

#6 issarakaya, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Arcsaber 10 anyone? It's a great racket both offensively and defensively.

8. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    ^
    saber10 like @hansip said better use at front, superb manuveribility for fast attack and superb defense too but not as powerful as At900T/P for playing at baseline :D

9. Danstevens

Student
    It's not bad when you add some lead. Even straight out of the wrapper it packs quite a punch.

10. trickyx2

trickyx2 Regular Member

Badminton Player/Golf
    AT900T i tihnk, would be good for you. I have it, and the Arc10, and the MP100 (current day At900P basically) and there's not a big difference in the power between Mp100(2u) and AT900T. Plus, AT900t is great control, and less demanding than Arc10

11. Danstevens

Student
    That's good advice. I definitely agree that the AT900T is less difficult to use than the Arc10 and provides a good balance of power and control. I still love the Arc10 though.

Oh and I've just noticed; I've made 401 posts :D

12. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    What do you mean that the MP100 is the current day at900p? Isn't it a older racket??:confused:

13. Danstevens

Student
    And from a totally different series of Yonex rackets. I too am intrigued to learn what this was meant to mean.

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Defensive,900T is the best out of two..

15. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

don't have experience with AT900.

I have both Head Metallix 10000 and 8000, which are great rackets. They have similar shaft stiffness (10000 is a bit stiffer than 8000, but both are less stiff than Yonex MP99) and about the same BP (slightly head heavy, but much less than MP99 and AT500). they are designed for all-rounders, and I don't feel lack of power either, by comparing them with my MP99. but maybe that's because I am not a hard hitter.

16. what07

what07 Regular Member

I Just went to my nearest badminton store and asked the gentlemen there the same question and he gave me this response.
    "Since both of you only used Isometric 75 MF before it will take some time to adapt to the new racquets but that's easy. Your brother will be mostly in the front since he has more control so AT900T for him and since you can hit harder you should play back with AT900P so you can clear that birdy. Arc 10 for both will balance both of you. Nanospeed 9000 if you don't like head heavy racquets. But I think the AT900's will do you good and it would make you two look pretty cool with these racquets. *he starts laughing* "

Any more suggestions?

17. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Haha, he just pretty much summed up what i said... but alot shorter:D
    Yes you can't go wrong with the 900's, but make sure you get the right string, a good string with good control and power is the BG80. Remember how well your shots are controlled depends on what string you use. If you want a all around good string, go with the BG80, More then enough power and control for your level :D

Just my 2cents

18. prosh629

prosh629 New Member

it sound like u used more arm swing and your brother, he more like a control player. as for me I'm a control player. I just got me a new Head Met. 8000. Before I decided on the Head Met. 8000 I try out Nanospeed 800 and the AT 700. Both the Head Met. 8000 and the Nanospedd 800 are somewhat feel Identical to me and both racket has the same string rat at 25 lbs. The AT 700 is a good racket for u since u r a power/quicker hiter and for your brother I would say the Head Met. 8000 for price. But the Head Met. 8000 is designed for an advanced player.

19. what07

what07 Regular Member

Ya it's true I have alot of arm swing. And my brother is a control player and really offensive. He attacks like mad while I end up taking the smashes from the other team. Gonna go to another store tormarrow which they say is tax included which will save some money. [$500+ US for both rackets so far]:eek:

20. trickyx2

trickyx2 Regular Member

Badminton Player/Golf
    I meant that the AT900P can relate to the MP100 in many ways? And so can the MP99 relate to the AT900T... Its just my opinion tho, cause the MP100 is what is felt to be, head heavy (i have the racket). And the MP99 is what is said to be, a good all around racket.