Philippine Badminton

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    January 03, 2009

By Marc Anthony Reyes

Badminton body hires Indonesian coach

PHILIPPINE badminton will undergo yet another facelift this year.
    Despite the on-going leadership dispute, the Philippine Badminton Association is holding try-outs for the national training pool and has also tapped the services of an Indonesian coach to spearhead the team’s rebuilding.

National coach Allan de Leon said there will be tryouts from Jan. 16-18 at the Rizal Memorial Badminton Hall to decide the composition of the new RP team which will embark on international campaigns including the Laos Southeast Asian Games.

The PBA has also hired Indonesian coach Indra Setiawan, who has had stints training local age-group players in the country.

Since the sport experienced a popularity boom four years ago, there have been an influx of Indonesian coaches and players in the country including Thomas Cup winner Rudy Gunawan.

But they are mostly tied up with clubs, unlike Setiawan who is the first foreign coach to handle the national team.

“I will try to do the best things for the 2009 SEA Games all the way,” said Setiawan in an e-mail. “Because it’s my great hope and first priority.”

It’s a tall order for him and his prospective players, though, as the country has gone home empty-handed from the SEAG since siblings Kennie and Kennevic Asuncion bagged bronze in the 2003 edition.

“Even for a short time, I just hope the support from all parties to my programs,” added Setiawan. “There is a need to train very hard for the sake of the country’s name.”

The PBA is optimistic the rebuilding will blunt the effects of the internal wrangling inside the association between former First Lady Ming Ramos, and former head coach Errol Chan.

Chan was elected president reportedly by 60 clubs nationwide during an election two months ago. But the PBA didn’t recognize the polls because Ramos’ term is only supposed to end this year.

2. xmatvx

xmatvx Regular Member

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think the Indonesian coach has been removed.

4. jbchiong

jbchiong Regular Member

PBA really sucks. That's why we will never win any tournaments.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I read recently that an ex-Singapore MS national champion, Ahmad (?) who used to be from the Rose Badminton Party here, and now the CEO of Ashaway Singapore (?), is trying to help develop the badminton scene in the Philippines with sponsorships, maybe in the form of badminton equipment, etc. :)

6. julianming

julianming New Member

why he had been removed?
    is he sucks?

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    any of you guys remember Jobett co??
    Hes living in australia studying now and iv been playing with him recently :) Really nice guy! Il be up against him next tournament hopefully :)

#7 bradmyster, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Dear PBA

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctjcad [​IMG]
    ..none of the 4 MS players will come to the Philippines Open this yr..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by venkatesh [​IMG]
    Hi. I just wanna ask what could be the reason for not having top players?

Whose fault is it?

Is it because the Philippine Badminton Association lack convincing powers to invite popular badminton players? Is it because the pot money is not lucrative enough? Is it because of low ranking points? What?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krisna [​IMG]
    Yes, money should be the biggest motivator for the top players to go to the Philippines. No need to make it a SS level (I don't think BWF will want to give it to the Philippines anyway)... Just make the prize money US$150,000 or US$ 175,000, then way more top players will come.

However, in my humble opinion, for the sake of badminton development in the Philippine, it is more economical and logical to just maintain this GP Gold prize money as it is now (US$ 120,000) and then add one Philippine Challenge (Prize money: US$15,000)... in this level tournament, the top Filipino players can actually win and bring real glory to the Filipino fans. When the fans and players can feel glorious, badminton will create more buzz in the country... More people will start dreaming of becoming an international badminton champion... :cool:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fastdrop [​IMG]
    I think the timing is wrong. The top players will be going to Aviva Singapore Super Series, Djarum Indonesia Super Series, then Malaysia Gold. After the 3 events here comes the Philippine Open. The top players will also have to prepare for the World Championship.

They should have kept the original schedule for Philippine open which was June 2 to 7. It could have been a good warm up before the 2 super series events.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huangkwokhau [​IMG]
    I have posted that Phillippine Open should follow before or after Thai Open then many top players will come...there is no way top players will play 4 tournaments in a row....actually by doing that will give players to warm up for WC...now with Thai Open alone and many players are afraid about the stability of recent incidents so Thai Open can be missed but if Phillipine Open is paired with Thai...I believe more players will come.......
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

So, our collective suggestion to the PBA is: :D
    1. Move the timing of the Philippine Open Gold GP to either the week before Singapore Open SS or... to one week before/after Thailand Open Gold GP... :cool:
    2. Request for a US$ 15k Philippine International Challenge. How about having it the week before Vietnam GP (in October)...:) Right after Mongolia International Series... I am 95% sure that INA will regularly send our up&coming players... They will provide some decent competition for the PBA active players... :)
    3. Increase the prize money of the Philippine Open Gold GP to US$ 150k/175k if Bingo Bonanza or the other sponsors are willing to chip in some more... :D Just to make sure the top world players will go to Manila...

#8 Krisna, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009