User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: sports injuries

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down sports injuries

    hi guys
    i know u may all have had ome kind of injury while playing badminton some time or the other so i need some advice .

    recently i started a routine of hitting continous powerful smashes,eventually my bicep musle started to pain so i took a break of 2 weeks .

    but when i resumed practice(w/out the strenous smashing routine) i still got pain in the bicep
    so i visited a physiotherapist who told me that i suffered from a torn muscle in my right bicep & put me in ultra-sound therapy
    i started playing 2 weeks later & still its paining
    this time i visited a ortho who told me to rest upto 6 weeks yet again (w/medication)

    this thing is driving me crazy.
    if anyone else has had this injury,kindly advice me on how to heal it quickly coz i want to start PLAYING A.S.A.P

    shabs

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This isn't exactly helping, but are you sure you got the biceps tear from playing badminton? It's odd, because the biceps is not very involved in stroke production in badminton...

    Maybe you should listen to your orthopaedist, though. If he/she says rest 6 weeks, and you resume playing after two, it's not surprising if you feel pain. You have to give the tear time to heal, or it can actually get worse, and even cause permanent damage!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Louisiana, US
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Listen to Mag

    Please be careful; Mag is right. If you can heal the muscle in 6 weeks, that's a lot better than needing an operation and spending months doing rehab. It can happen, especially if you are not using a correct stroke.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Surrey, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default rest and rehab

    without too much strain, you need to flex the muscle during the recovery period to reduce the internal scar tissue build-up. mag is pretty accurate that you likely did not get to initial injury from badminton, but aggravated by playing.

    a friend of mine dropped out for the season from a similar bicep tear. when i asked him what he was doing the day before, he said he was bringing home a full water jug for one of the water coolers. he noticed that the muscle felt 'tired' but he was not overly concerned at the time, but it never recovered in time for badminton, which is when he really felt the pain.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,445
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: sports injuries

    Originally posted by shabs


    this thing is driving me crazy.
    if anyone else has had this injury,kindly advice me on how to heal it quickly coz i want to start PLAYING A.S.A.P

    Probably, patience is a quality that will help the healing process. Good luck

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation stretch

    IMHO, I think it will help if you regularly stretch after warming up and especially after playing. I used to have this chronic hamstring injury but after listening to a doctor friend of mine, I started stretching regularly and the injury finally healed. I also read that (as an example) the reason why Michael Jordan was able to maintain his level of play for a very long time is because he stretched as long as he would play before and after playing (i.e. 2 hours stretching before playing, 2 hours of playing/practice, and then 2 hours of cool down stretching.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by Mag
    This isn't exactly helping, but are you sure you got the biceps tear from playing badminton? It's odd, because the biceps is not very involved in stroke production in badminton...

    Maybe you should listen to your orthopaedist, though. If he/she says rest 6 weeks, and you resume playing after two, it's not surprising if you feel pain. You have to give the tear time to heal, or it can actually get worse, and even cause permanent damage!
    mag u may be right about the cause of the injury coz i am involved in other sports too.
    u bet i'm goona rest 6 weeks , especially since the words 'permanent damage' went straight to my head
    i had no idea it cd be this serious!

    thanx anyway all
    shabs

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: rest and rehab

    Originally posted by badrad
    without too much strain, you need to flex the muscle during the recovery period to reduce the internal scar tissue build-up. mag is pretty accurate that you likely did not get to initial injury from badminton, but aggravated by playing.

    a friend of mine dropped out for the season from a similar bicep tear. when i asked him what he was doing the day before, he said he was bringing home a full water jug for one of the water coolers. he noticed that the muscle felt 'tired' but he was not overly concerned at the time, but it never recovered in time for badminton, which is when he really felt the pain.
    hey badrad
    so has yr friend recovered , what exactly did he do to recover?
    & cd u please describe what u mean by flexing the muscle during the recovery period ?

    thanx shabs

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Surrey, Canada
    Posts
    1,534
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    whenever you get any muscle or tissue damage, you need to rest the muscle from any strenous work. however, it doesn't mean that you have to stop using it altogether. you need to stretch and where possible rotate the limbs and body so that is minimizes the scar buildup. scar buildup is inevitable, but stretching will help keep it manageable.

    my friend needed to take nearly 8 weeks. he stopped playing for that period of time. at the beginning he could even barely lift up a book. he did morning and evening stretches and rotating the arm. he had some problem driving steering, but he compensated with his left arm.

    after about 4 weeks he started on small weight, almost like 3 - 5 pound little dumbells. gradually he started to feel stronger. around teh 6 week mark we did some very light hitting, half court strokes, he still felt a bit of strain. after another couple weeks he was back to playing games, but he was still only hitting around 75% power. he said since that time he has always felt - 'funny' about using full power. so not really sure if this is a longer term thing, or maybe he is just a bit on the cautious side, not to reinjure the arm. this has been over a year now.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thanx badrad for the info
    my muscle isent that damaged coz i dont have much of a problem doing the things i normally do (except playing)
    so i'm guessing it may heal sooner.

    shabs

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default me too....

    don`t play... don`t play until it heals.... take it from me.. i tore a muscle b4 too.... and playing too soon only makes the rest of ur days miserable!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default sports injuries

    Originally posted by shabs
    hi guys
    i know u may all have had ome kind of injury while playing badminton some time or the other so i need some advice .

    recently i started a routine of hitting continous powerful smashes,eventually my bicep musle started to pain so i took a break of 2 weeks .

    but when i resumed practice(w/out the strenous smashing routine) i still got pain in the bicep
    so i visited a physiotherapist who told me that i suffered from a torn muscle in my right bicep & put me in ultra-sound therapy
    i started playing 2 weeks later & still its paining
    this time i visited a ortho who told me to rest upto 6 weeks yet again (w/medication)

    this thing is driving me crazy.
    if anyone else has had this injury,kindly advice me on how to heal it quickly coz i want to start PLAYING A.S.A.P

    shabs
    Hi Shabs!!

    Streching and relaxation will definitely help you!! But in order to get the healing to exhalerate you need to strengthen your muscles around the problem area to stabilize your biceps and once the injury gets better start working on the bicps as well!!

    This kind of training requires professional help and I suggest that you consult your physio!!

    Another think that can be the origin of the problem is your smashtechnic. If you donīt use the correct technic you will be more exposed to injuries in your arm.

    Consult your personal trainer if you have one and tell him you need to see the right technic. Then again you might have the right technic already!!!

    Kind Regards and Good Luck

    Jonas

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just from Recent Experience =)


    I've been playing badminton improperly, and been using mostly arm and very little wrist

    (A friend of mine, who is serious about badminton, started to play again, and pointed my weaknesses out)

    I played badminton for 2 and a half weeks straight everyday like this.

    Before, I've played badminton twice a week.

    Well, I tore a tendon in my arm, because of this non-stop playing, and I was also going to work 4 times a day during these 2 and a half weeks.

    I went to see the doctor, and he told me to get 2 weeks worth of rest. The pain was so bad, I couldn't sleep because my arm was always in pain. I took his advice (sort of) and rested for 1.5 weeks.

    The doctor gave me some Pain-Relieving medicine which was design for that area of the arm. OUCH, that was a mistake. 1 in 34 people taking this medicine might develop other symptons. I was that in 34.

    For 4 days, I could not go to washroom or eat. I felt like puking every second, and my stomach hurt like hell. I had a headache, and was dizzy and weak. Instead of enduring the pain in my arm, my hands were always holding onto my stomach.


    I have started playing badminton again now. After the 2 weeks of rest, the area of my arm where I tore the tendon gets tired really quickly everytime I play (I know, I am still practicing on utilizing the wrist. Bad habit, hard to break it since I've been playing like this for almost 5 years). When it gets really bad, I stop playing, and rest for a couple of days.

    My diagnosis. Are you like me, and you are not playing badminton the "correct" way? Like Mag said, the biceps are not very involved in stroke production in badminton.

    Also stretch everytime before you play! I do now

    heh

Similar Threads

  1. WHat to do if one got Injuries.
    By Jansenkzh in forum Injuries
    Replies: 37
    : 06-10-2013, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    : 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
  3. TOP 10 sports injuries
    By Jumpalot in forum Injuries
    Replies: 4
    : 02-16-2005, 01:25 AM
  4. injuries
    By shuttlesbest in forum Injuries
    Replies: 8
    : 04-07-2004, 05:05 PM
  5. injuries
    By ben in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 03-03-2000, 09:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •