Which Yonex for me?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by joedc, Jan 7, 2009.

1. joedc

joedc Regular Member

Hi. This is my first post on this message board. I have been reading many threads regarding racquets/shoes/strings.

I have not played badminton for a few years. I used to play quite often and would say I was an intermediate+ player. My strength was moving the shuttle from corner to corner. My weakness was smashes. I played mainly singles but also enjoyed doubles.

My current racquet is a Yonex Isometric 90L. I had upgraded from a cheap Carlton Blitz (metal head, very entry level). I know it is not the racquet that makes a good player; but the Yonex allowed me to play a lot better. I liked it especially for doubles since it is very light.

I had to modify the grip because I found it too small. To increase the size of the grip, I put pieces of cardboard along the bevels of the grip and I then installed a bevelled grip (black knight). By doing this, I definitely increased the weight but it is still very light. I had tried to add lead tape in the head to re-balance the racquet and give it more 'punch', but I did not like it and removed the lead tape. The balance point is now at 2 1/4 inches HL.

I have my own stringing machine. I have researched strings and will stick with Yonex BG80. I had tried on the Yonex and really liked it. I know have a Toalson Gemini Leoina Hybrid strung at 18lbs (mains) and 20lbs (crosses). I never liked this string. The mains are made of zyex; I find it very stiff with low power. I will cut out the string and restring with bg80.

I am currently studying and catching up on badminton technique and strategy. I have found some good sites and videos and am learning a lot. I hope to start playing again in the coming weeks.

I am looking for a new racquet to help me with my singles game. I would like something that has more power since I often get very tired trying to hit deep clear shots from my backcourt.

I am looking only at Yonex models. I will order from Wingeebadminton.com. I read the whole thread about Wingee and it looks like a reputable place.

What would you recommend for me? Should I go with something more head heavy or even balance in order to get better smashes and easier deep clear shots? My budget is about $150US.

Thank you.

2. joedc

joedc Regular Member

Also, what would you recommend in RSL or Victor?

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    What about Karakal? If you like light rackets, they do the MTec 70 (70 grams) and MTec 75 (75 grams).

Going for something head heavy could make smashing better but control might suffer. The best way to improve your smash is improving your technique.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you are into yonex then MP66 would suit you.

5. joedc

joedc Regular Member

I've never heard of Karakal. I will try to take this process one step at a time. I will stick with just choosing the most appropriate Yonex model for me right now. Once I choose one, then I will look at equivalent models in other companies.

After reading a lot on this message board, I was looking at the AT500 or AT700 or AT900T. Right now I'm edging more towards the AT500 since it is probably better suited to intermediate players. I would like more feedback on these and also on the nano speed 5000.

6. Script

Script Regular Member

NS 800 is nice.

7. joedc

joedc Regular Member

How about from Apacs?

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    NS5000 isn't worth it. You are better off buying another brand such as apacs or sotx

9. joedc

joedc Regular Member

Which model from Apacs would you recommend?

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can try looking at nano 900 power. They are the clone of AT900P and AT900T

11. joedc

joedc Regular Member

I wrote to Apacs and got this list of racquets recommended to me:

• AMP90… it is a slim frame design.. powerful shaft ….
    • Lethal 50… head heavy…. A nice design ..
    • Tantrum 200… Light racket … top quality… head heavy..
    • NanoPro 9900.. slim frame… stiff shaft… very fast racket ..balance racket
    • Olympic 0808…. Slim frame .. medium flex shaft… get you more power in clearing..

12. joedc

joedc Regular Member

I'm confused about one thing: the balance point for the Lethal 50 is listed as '288 (head heavy)'. How can this be head heavy if the balance point does not reach the midpoint of the racquet length. The length is 673mm. So the midpoint is 673/2=336.50. So anything below 336 would make this frame head light. Right?

13. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

336mm????

lmao

generally about 295+ is considered to be head heavy but everyone has a different definition...

Try the AMP90 or AT500 for your racket. You prolly don't want something really stiff...

14. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

Nice to see a first post that:
    - has a description of the level of play,
    - provides details of current equipment,
    - shows evidence of research,
    - mentions a preferred budget.

Considering your weaknesses and requirements, I would go with a head heavy racket with medium stiff shaft. In other words, I agree with you and think that the AT500 would be an excellent choice for you at this stage.

Good luck!

15. joedc

joedc Regular Member

coolhandluke, thanks for the kind words. I used to play a lot of tennis, that's why I got a stringing machine. In tennis, I had demoed over 30 racquets and easily eliminated all except 2. It's amazing how easily we find our preference when we demo. In badminton, I can't demo. Stores do not have demo programs because racquets break easily. So a forum like this comes in handy in attempting to make the right choice.

If I got with Yonex, the choice is AT500. Which Victor, RSl, and & Apacs model would be the closest in terms of feel and specs to the AT500?

Also, the Apacs AMPro90 is listed as "Slim frame and shaft design". Will this make the frame more fragile? I've noticed it mentioned many times in other threads that the Apacs frames broke very easily? Are the newer models made more solid?

#15 joedc, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  16. joedc

joedc Regular Member

Also, I would like a frame that will be comfortable on the arm and shoulder. I'm not a fan of excessive vibration. A bit of vibration provides feedback, which is important. If the frame has a muted feel, then it's not for me either.

17. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Apacs Visible Hollow? Arcsaber series might be good for you too. If you like racket with "light" feel, and not light in weight, Arc7 is a good option. Since head-light racket is giving you excelent defense. And not so good in smashing (since you've said you're not fond of smashing, this is probably a good idea). Ultra PEF is... I would say some kind of shock reducing material (It's Arc10's, Arc 10 review is all over the forum maybe you should take a look). And it's all yonex's.

18. joedc

joedc Regular Member

^Yes, I've read a lot of threads about the arc7 and arc10. Many seem to prefer the arc7. As for smashes, it's not that I don't like to smash, it's that I don't seem to get good punch on them. So I opt for placement shots instead. The ability I would really like is to be able to clear from my baseline to opponents baseline when I'm under pressure and tired from the rally.

19. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Generally head heaviness will help with your clears and things like that. The head heaviness will assist in transfering energy through to the shuttle as there is more mass towards the head.

Arc 7 is a fantastic technical racket but it won't do you any favours for power. If you want to fully concentrate on that technical game then the arc7 is a great choice.

On the other hand if you would like to have the racket assist you with power at bit then head heaviness is something you will want. The thing is as you are a good techincal player you'll be good at the placement shots with most decent rackets. Would be on benefit to you if you counter balanced that quality.

I guess my worry is that if you went the arc7 knowing already you were a bit weak on the power side then I don't think the racket will help you in any way.

They are fantastic rackets the arcs but they seem to be for people with high levels of strength already.

20. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Don't forget about stiff or not xD... They're also playing a lot of part for those. Please read more about the stiff explanation.
    Here

For your concern,
    Arc7 -> Medium
    Arc10 -> Stiff