Ashaway carbon wave

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by anandalphonse, Jan 7, 2009.

1. anandalphonse

anandalphonse Regular Member

Engineer
    Hiii to all ..I am new to this site, n i was excited to the verity of discussions going through this site!!
    I am a recreational player i have been playn for a couple of months n recently o got my self a new racket...It was an Ashaway racket called 'carbon wave 168Ti '..since the day i baught it, i am searching the internet for any details on that model:confused:...Does any one know any thing about this model especially its pricing and strings which can be used for this racket?n thanks in advance guys!!:D

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    It's not on the Ashaway website, which suggests it's pre-2007.

I also found just one reference to it anywhere else:
    Sportco.co.nz used to sell them for 59NZD (23GBP / 1717INR), and describe them as "Graphite shaft with metal head". 59NZD is very cheap, and I'm guessing the metal head is aluminium, so I suspect it is probably a very low end model.

Ashaway would probably never have bothered stating a maximum string tension for a beginners racket, as the intended buyers would use only very low tension anyway.

Ofcourse, that is a heck of a lot of speculation, considering it's based on just one sentence. You'd probably learn more just by switching rackets with someone else for a couple of games.

I guess the only way you'll find out any hard facts is if someone here owns one, or has an old Ashaway catalogue lying around.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...s_task=DETAIL&articleID=60390&sectionID=21071

3. anandalphonse

Engineer
    Thanks for the quick reply Sketchy... I got this racket from a local seller for around 800 INR......Its very light in weight .. below 90gm...(that what i got when in i weighted it!!)and its a Single piece racket...I think i got this racket because its an old model!!:eek:
    what u guys suggest for me, should i keep this racket? i'm still learning badminton though:D n i like those rackets with high string tension....can i go for any good string like yonex bg 65Ti ??

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    For that price you really can't expect a whole lot. For a relative newcomer I expect it's perfectly ok - my own first racket was a cheap graphite/aluminium single-piece model, and it served me quite well for a year or two. Certainly, they're a huge improvement over steel rackets.

I'd say use it for now, and try to borrow other peoples rackets aswell. After a while, you'll develop more of a playing style, and have a better idea of the kind of racket you need. There's no point going out spending more money on another racket, when you probably don't really know what you're looking for yet.

High tension is a bad idea unless you have very good technique. You'll probably find your shots less powerful, as tight strings don't give such a strong "trampoline" effect. A quick search of this site will reveal many threads on the subject, or if you want to hear it from Ashaway themselves:

http://www.ashawayusa.com/pages/BadTip8.html (well worth a read)

I have yet to see a racket that won't take 20lbs, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. BG65Ti is a good choice IMO - cheap, durable, and decent performance - it's what I use anyway.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm pretty sure all the new ashaway racquets can easily be strung up to 24-26lbs.
    and of course, you can choose any string you like, that shouldn't be a problem either.

6. bippi_cp

bippi_cp Regular Member

System Administrator
    i think anand you can buy new racket for develop badminton skill. If you r playing with lower quality racket that will spoil your upcoming skill. Try to play with good rackets, rackets can change your play stile. You can choose lower weight racket for develop you skill, probably you can concentrate your body movement and play style. Try to learn badminton skills with more right style. play stlye can change your entire play attitude, that will grow your smah skill, and movements etc.... BG 65Ti string is very suite for durable, also that will give smash power. you can choose 20lbs to 22lbs, that tension will give more power play. Hope this tip is helpfull.

7. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

8. anandalphonse

Engineer

9. bippi_cp

bippi_cp Regular Member

System Administrator

10. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    chairs?

Fair point, although he's already said it's under 90g, which isn't too bad.

I actually don't think it's a good idea to get too light of a racket early on anyway, as you won't be able to generate any power with it.

11. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

your argument is partially flawed. YOU think a racket with a weight of 85g is good, i could think it was horrible. A bulk of the rackets made today are 3U, which are above 85g. Also, there are many good rackets that come about 90+ grams stock. Are you saying the 2U- Ti10, 2U Mp99, Mp100,NS9K (and other ones i cant list) are bad quality rackets? most of these top 90, yet play very well.

many players use racket that are above that and can go into the 90's or easily past the 100 gram mark. You must remember the overgrips and strings add weight. unless you mod your racket to make it stay at its designed weight, you racket could be much higher than you stated.

as long as he likes the racket, it is good. foot work, and knowledge of shots make up most of the skills needed to play. good practice with a good racket can be the same as good practice with another racket. there is no point in having an AT 900 or other high end racket if you cant clear past half court, cant drop well, and cant defend/smash when he needs to. switching rackets is easier than changing the way you hit.

#11 jymbalaya, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009