Cab 8 TOUR (fake?)

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by Tammy, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

A friend of mine just came back from a south-east Asian country. He bought a Yonex Cab 8 TOUR on which I don't see any engraved serial number or country code (SP, TH, etc). I think it may be a fake but a person told me first-generation Yonex racquets did not have engraved serial numbers. Could my friend's racquet be a first-generation racquet? He bought it completely brand new (with a very nice thick leather cover) for $40 US. There is a painted serial number on the cone connecting the shaft and the handle, but the number is covered by a shiny rectangular silver hologram sticker. I can see only a letter B of that serial number.

Could anyone who has a Cab 8 TOUR post a picture of the racquet, please. I'd hate it if my friend indeed got ripped off.

Thanks!

PS: He also bought a Cab 20 TOUR for $34 US, which I know for sure is a fake. It's the most flexible racquet I've ever ... bent (mind you, I'm not very strong). It's much more flexible than a Ti SP SA. Cab 20 is supposed to be at least as stiff as Cab 21, isn't it?

2. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Tammy,

Why dont you post some pictures of the racquets for us to see?

3. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I'll ask my friend for some pictures, but it's a sensitive issue. No one would want to be ripped off and he's kind of defensive about the issue now. He said he'd write to Yonex to ask about the racquet. I think the hope for his letter to be replied is very slim.

4. HKFreak

HKFreak Regular Member

Student
    I have a aerotus 44 u can not see serial number except I peel off the shiny sticker I can see the serial number at the cone. But I don't see serial number on the shaft. I know it's real and I know aerotus 44 is not made in Japan.
    I think that one is real. I also think that racquet is not made in Japan. U probably don't see Japan mark on the green piece of plastic cap on the end of handler.
    Hope this will help and by the way I don't think ur friend will get reply from Yonex.

5. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

HKFreak, is the serial number on your Aerotus engraved or painted?

I saw a real and very old Cab 8 with no serial number on the shaft, but there's a serial number engraved on the cone with country code "CD".

On the shaft of my friend's Cab 8 TOUR it says "MADE IN JAPAN", just like on my ISO 750 and MP 88. It also has the word "Japan" on the green plastic cap.

I'm now even more confused :) Thanks for sharing the info with us!

6. HKFreak

HKFreak Regular Member

Student
    Tammy,
    My aerotus 44 serial number is engraved. I checked the info on bbeshop.com Cab8 tour is suppose to made in Japan. Too bad that site has a lot of pictures on racquets but not cab8 tour. But I found another site has the picture.
    http://www.badmintonpage.com/images/cab/cab8Tour.jpg
    Also for old cab8 and cab9 with external t joint serial number only engraved on the cone not on the shaft.
    If you can read chinese here is the information to distinguish fake and real yonex racquet.
    http://www.bbeshop.com/ht3yqzs/yqzs000308_zjjb.htm
    Hope this will help.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Tammy,

What colour is the cone of the cab8?

I think the 1st generation cab8 were only green or orange.
    Then later yellow, red, blue.

can anybody with longer memories help out?

They definately did not have a nice full length racquet bag coming with the racquet in those days.

8. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

HKFreak, Thanks for the info. I can't read Chinese, but I think I know what they are talking about :) The Cab 8 Tour looks the same as in the link you gave.

Cheung, my friend's racquet is Cab 8 Tour, not the original Cab 8. So the cone has the same color as the rest of the racquet, as in this picture

http://www.badmintonpage.com/images/cab/cab8Tour.jpg

I now know for sure my friend's Cab 8 Tour is a fake. Evidence? The printing job is lousy! I inspected the racquet carefully yesterday. The edges of the letters printed on the shaft are fuzzy, not as sharp as on real racquets. Even low-end Yonex racquets have much better printing quality.

Secondly, the racquet feels like 3U. It should be 2U. Well ... if my friend is happy with his new racquet, then it does not matter whether it's real or not.

9. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Review of Cab 8 Tour??

Ha! Finally found this Cab8 Threat, Anyways, I was jus wondering if anyone can give me a decent review of this racquet

10. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    If my remeberance is correct, the Cab 8 Tour should be in old logo, colour is Blue and Black. Hi Tammy, please confirm.

At the old logo period, there will be no lazer serial number at the shaft and it must have a stamped serial number on the cone. If it is a SP verison, on the cone, 1 side should be the PBSI logo, another side should be the Yonex sticker and covering the serial number, only the grip size 4 or 5 will exist.

Please check and advise, then I think I can tell how to distinguish real or fake.

11. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Actually i didn't want to know how to iD the Fake, its jus taht i didn't want to open a new Thread..... but what i wanted to know is how this racquet plays

Since theres no Review of this racquet in the review section, and i couldn't really find much with the Search. If you can post a review of this racquet ie: Power good? Control good? stuff like that ^^

Btw this thread is 2 years old =p

12. forrestyung

Salesman
    Hi Yipom,

Is your Cab 8 Tour same as my description??

13. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Yup its all the same, except that i don't think it has a Serial #, and it doesn't look Fake the Buttcap's colour and logo looks perfect..... btw this isn't my racquet, i might buy it off a friend or something, i know u're probably wondering, "why don't you jus ask ur friend to try it out?" the problem is that the tension on the racquet is REALLY low, like.... 15 pounds or so, and i can't really test it.....

Can someone give me a review of this racquet please?

14. forrestyung

Salesman
    I have tried it in 1996. It is somewhat like the Cab 20 original, good control, but less powerful.