AT900T 3U to AT500 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by nukiez, Jan 8, 2009.

1. nukiez

nukiez New Member

Hi all,

I have done a lot of searching and reading but I am still confused. So I decided to ask for help.

I have a AT900T 3U it's strung at 24lbs. I like the racket, it's very powerful but I felt that when I am tired(after 1 or 2 game) I could not bring out the full potential of the racket. This is due to me having a weak and thin arm/wrist and crap technique. I tried to be cheap and thought I could live with 1 good racket but it didn't work out for me.

I don't have a backup so I am planning to get one. I dont have maneuver issues with the AT900T. I like head heavy racket so I am planning on the AT500 4U at 22lbs. I hope by 'downgrading' I can train better so I don't have to spend all my energy trying to flex that stiff racket to generate a powerful shot. I am a beginner and I am still learning my styles, I play twice a week.

Please post your opinions, I greatly appreciate it.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i don't think the at900t is significantly stiffer than the at500.
    dropping from 3u to 4u would probably help your arm a little though.
    i reckon if your arm gets tired so quickly, it'll be better for you to do some wrist/arm training.
    or you could try something significantly less stiff (maybe an at800 def if you can find one).

3. nukiez

nukiez New Member

Hello Dreamzz,

You are right I choose a 4U due to reduce fatigue. I tried even balance rackets but I couldn't generate enough strength.

I play double with quite experience players so far(17 months) no issues of racket clashing. 4U is okay for me. I read a lot of people here dislike 4U due to it's durability. I can get a AT800DEF but it's a bit costly, I will look into it. Thank you for your kind help.

4. gumpy_999

gumpy_999 Regular Member

Nukiez - I think the AT500 should be fine for you, even the AT300 if it's available in your country would be a good cheap racket for you to use. (Unsure if the AT300 comes in 4u)

In my opinion the flex difference between the AT900T and the AT500 is reasonable, if your wrists are weaker, it will definately help you out to have a medium flex racket.

Another cheap alternative racket for you is the MP22LT. Comes in 3u, slightly head heavy but you get a flexible shaft and it's cheap.