Black Knight NanoFire

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sketchy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    My new BK NanoFire just arrived in the mail today, yay me!
    Unfortunately, it's going to be a while before I get to actually test it out, meaning no review - just thought I'd share some pics and general first impressions.

Incase anyone in the UK is interested, I got it from blackknightuk.co.uk, for 39.99GBP.

Specs
    weight: 80g
    balance: 295mm unstrung (my own measurement - BK don't specify)
    flex: medium-stiff (BK state rigidity factor of 85)
    max tension: 24lbs

First Impressions
    This racket is very very shiny. I'm not sure photos really do it justice.

The grip was different from what I was expecting. Instead of the "competition" grip with raised ridges, it was a more normal grip, albeit with a feel almost like blu-tac.

It came with a very good quality racket cover, with a detachable shoulder strap that's actually big enough for me to use (which is a first).

Just can't wait to try it out now...

Attached Files:

2. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i have this racket, and have used it for a good 2-3 years, without much of chips. i find that this racket is very balanced in attack and defence. it can't thunder down power, but it's quite decent. what it lacks in power, it makes up in precision control. i find that drops, slices and half smashes are very accurate. i have the first generation of this racket (silvery parts don't go all the way around the racket), and i can say that it's definately a really good overall racket. it sucks that the frame might not be able to take it if you want higher than 25lbs in tension, but it definately is well balanced. the sweet spot is easy to hit. i'm suprised not much people use this model =\...

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Sounds like I won't be dissappointed then. It certainly seemed like my dream-racket on paper.

What's the highest tension you've dared string your racket to? Like you say, 24lbs is a little on the low side.

I'm a little surprised more people aren't buying them too. 40 pounds ($70CDN) really doesn't buy you much else around here - ArmorTec 150 maybe?

4. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    the highest i've done for that racket is 21-22...i don't dare to go anywhere near that amount...but that's my usual average anyway...my yonex rackets i go to about 23-24...so depends on your definition of the "low side".....wow 70cdn? i bought it when it first came out lol...$212 CDN...+strings...i don't know of the structural differences between first and second generation though =\

5. Wexed

Wexed Regular Member

Diagnostic Imaging
    Very good buy for the price indeed! I saw it a few weeks back and it was going for 214.99$ canadian. Haven't had the chance to try it though! Hope to read your review soon.

6. Moncky23

Moncky23 Regular Member

Badminton!
    Your paying a bit to much for it then, I got my Photon XL PCV for that price (+12.95 for string and free stringing, yay!). But anyways, I had a chance to try it, its a very nice racket, although the shineyness kinda gets to me. Otherwise its a totaly awsome racket, and I like it almost as much as my Photon.

7. nemesis_y2k

nemesis_y2k New Member

I just bought this racket today, it's 149.99 at Sports Expert (Ottawa region). Plus I'll be going back with my receipt to get 20% discount back when I get my club sponsor card (there's only 2 for the whole club, you have to borrow it to make your purchase).

Can't wait to play with it tomorrow. Mine was pre-strung with Ashaway rally 22ti or something.

Man we get shafted in Canada... this is a Canadian company and we're paying double what he gets it for in UK!

Cheers,
    Roby!

8. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

a very decent racket indeed. couple of the sponsored players at our club use them. especially good for doubles. i would use it too, if not for the tennis szie grip - BK small is still around 3.75".

9. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I know you won't be disappointed - I loved my NanoFire.
    Unfortunately it broke quite recently.
    My Trinity 2 should be arriving from Dink in the next day or two, so I'm waiting to see what I think of that - otherwise I'm getting another NanoFire for sure (still might anyway).
    It's equivalent to $85 CDN now though, thanks to the pound being worthless.

10. what07

what07 Regular Member

11. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I got it about a year ago, from the UK distributor: www.blackknightuk.co.uk
    The price went up since then, and the value of the pound went down, so it's now about $85 CDN, not 70.

They only stock the NanoFire, Ghost PC, and PCS30 - all priced the same, although I think the Ghost PC and PCS30 might come prestrung.

They say they can "normally ship smaller items worldwide" but I don't know if that includes rackets.
    You'd have to email them: enquiries@blackknightuk.co.uk
    If not, let me know, and I might be able to help you out...

12. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

13. taicheng

taicheng Regular Member

I have used this racket for 2 years now (hasn't broken yet) and am very impressed with its performance. I use bg80 string which I find complements it well. It is quite balanced, good for attacking and defending/control. You won't get as much power as you could from head heavy rackets, but you can generate a decent amount of power. This racket is unbelievably good for blocking smashes, a nice balanced racket for quick movements. I am an all-around player. I highly recommend it. I found it on tennizon for $134.99 CAD. Here is a link: http://www.tenniszon.com Just go under badminton->rackets->black knight and then you'll see it there. With stringing, shipping and taxes, it came to about $180.

14. Petah

Petah Regular Member

Thanks to Taicheng, I got this racket from tenniszon during their boxing day sale for $110cdn. With taxes and shipping, it came out to $120 and i bought 2. I can't wait till i get some BG80s on there. And i agree, with the right wrist snap and timing, you can get some decent power with it. Good all around racket IMO.