Carlton to Yonex

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by NiTroXiTy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. NiTroXiTy

NiTroXiTy Regular Member

Student: Teacher in Computer Science
    Hi all,

I have some questions.
    I'd like to buy a Yonex-racket, but I don't know which one.
    Now I'm playing with a Carlton Fireblade Elite (ISO), with a Flex 21 string and a Wilson Comfort Dry grip. I love this racket, but at the beginning I had some arm muscle problems. I thought it was because I played a lot (like 4 times a week), but I didn't have this before I bought the Carlton, and now I'm used to the racket and the pain is gone.

Anyway, I'm starting competition shortly because I feel ready for it, but I would like to buy a new racket first. I'd like to switch to Yonex, and I will use some rackets of my friends first.

Yesterday I used a Yonex Nanospeed 7000, also with a Flex 21 string and an extra Yonex grip. This felt great! I could've sworn the NS7000 is so much lighter than my Fireblade Elite, but I found on the Internet it is heavier! How the hell?

Second question: I'm an offensive player. I like to smash hard. I also like a good control of the shuttle.
    So what do I look for then?
    - A stiff racket or a flexible one?
    - BG65 / BG80 / Flex 21 / other string? (I want a strong string!)
    - Hard tension or not on the string?
    - One grip or two grips? (I play good either way, but I want to know what's "best".)
    You can always recommend me a specific Yonex-racket...

Opinions, people!

Thanks a lot... :)

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I think you have the right idea, trying out some different rackets before you buy.

I don't know the exact figures, but the NS7000 (3U), and the Fireblade Elite are probably pretty similar in weight. The apparent lightness of the NS7000 is due to its slightly head-light balance - the Fireblade Elite is head-heavy, making it feel heavier to swing (but possibly more powerful).

You say you're starting to play competitions, so I'm going to assume you are an advanced player with very good technique.

In this case, you'll probably want a very stiff racket (the power should be coming from your swing, not your racket).

Same story with strings really - you'll probably want pretty high tension, but it's good to experiment. Just try to only change one variable at a time - ie. tension or gauge or brand - not all of them at once.

As far as grips go, you should just use whatever feels right for you - simple as that. Noone else can answer that for you.

To be honest, I really know very little about Yonex rackets, so I'm not even going to attempt to recommend one.

3. tcy148

tcy148 Regular Member

There's a whole host of stiff rackets from Yonex.
    Generally speaking, the Nanospeed range is head light - lighter feel; faster movements and control. The Armortec range is head heavy - great for smashing etc.
    The Arcsaber range is considered top range from Yonex and they are generally mid balanced - good balance between power and control.
    But with the right technique, a decent smash can be achieved regardless if the rackets head light or head heavy.
    Just do a search on whichever series and you'll get plenty of info on here.

4. NiTroXiTy

NiTroXiTy Regular Member

Thanks for the answers!
    The reason I started this topic is because I'm trying to learn some stuff about rackets / strings / grips. I know I have to do some researche by myself, but sometimes I have some questions...

So today I tried out the Carlton Tour with a BG95 string and a Karakal PU grip. This is just lovely, it's a mid balanced head and a mid stiffness racket, with a powerful string on it. I believe that the Yonex Nanospeed 9000S could be compared to it.
    I also tried the Arcsaber 10 with BG95, but I think it's a little bit too stiff for me.
    Now I know for sure that my arm gets tired because of my Fireblade Elite. It is just way too heavy for playing 3 hours in a row...

Anyway, I would like a good control and a good smash. For the control I will need a mid balanced / mid stiffness (to a stiff) racket, and a good string. I prefer to put about 7,5 kg / 8 kg of tension on it. I'm just a bit in doubt between BG80 and BG95.

Oh, and... Nanospeed 9000S has really ugly colours! Haha!
    Luckily that doesn't change the way I play...

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
  6. NiTroXiTy

NiTroXiTy Regular Member

Woaw, very handy! Thanks!
    I never found this list before.
    It's pretty up-to-date, yes.
    I think only the Arcsaber 9 is missing.

7. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I am currently using a Carlton Fireblade Elite with BG-80 at 26lb. Yes, this racket is one of the lightest that I have owned apart from the Powerblade Lite. The Elite is a pretty difficult racket to use at higher tension, unlike most YY rackets which you feel pretty comfortable to play with. (I am an old fashioned guy so I am quite used to 2U and metal rackets, so head-heavy rackets at 3U are nothing new to me.) Your problem, maybe down to the ultra stiffness and the relative head-heaviness of the Frieblade as lots of people do not like. The NS7000, on the other hand, still stiff according to YY's index, is a lot more flexible than the Fireblade. If you feel it is good for you play, then you should try to switch (not necessary to YY) to a even balanced and flexible racket. Many people misunderstand that the stiff and head-heavier the racket, the better. Hope that you will find your perfect racket soon.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

All the other posts are very good advice. I would also suggest you to try out as many racquets as possible. Does not have to be YY. The only reason for YY is more selection and you can not go wrong in general. Also NS8000 might be another good choice for you to try. It has about the same stiffness of NS9000-s but head light. I like it because it feel like a whip to me. But NS9000s and NS8000 are both great racquet. ARC7 is also another option. However, ARC7 is just not my racquet because it is very lucky for me, just I can not get use to it.

9. NiTroXiTy

NiTroXiTy Regular Member

Today I tried the NS7000, with a BG80 string and a Karakal PU grip. I love it!
    I think I'm going for this one. I'm going to test some other rackets first, but there's a big chance I will go for this NS7000 configuration. It is just so light, and the smash is LOVELY with it!

Thanks for the advice so far, all!