Resurrecting grip - both shoe and racket

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Mark A, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I had a couple of incidents tonight that gave me pause. One, my (expensive) racket dove out of my hand on a particularly snappy backhand kill, and two, I took a pretty dramatic fall when moving back to clear a flick serve. I'm now considering getting some "grip restoring" products, but I'd like to hear from others first.

1. I use Karakal Super PU grips - does anyone know of Yonex grip powder/spray can improve the traction on synthetics? The pros I see always use it with towel grips, so I'm not sure.

2. Is the Yonex shoe spray designed to improve grip and, if so, does it actually work? If I can spend money on this rather than splash out on a completely new pair of shoes I'll be very happy indeed.

Thanks in advance,

M.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    As for the grips, what about chalk? It wouldn't be the most elegant of solutions but it would definitely improve grip.

For the shoes, I'm not sure, I haven't tried any shoe spray products.

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The Yonex shoe traction spray works. It's more like glue really. It collects alot of dust after about 10mins of play and you'll end up spraying the soles again and again. It's expensive unless you buy straight from Japan, and it runs out too quickly.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Decided to go for some so-called "chalk substitute" that's aimed at, believe it or not, pole dancers:confused:. (No, I'm not, so don't ask.)

With regard to the shoes, do solvents such as rubbing alcohol or meths clean and/or restore the rubber of courts shoes? Or, like skin exposed to same, does it harden (and lose grip) in response? Worst comes to worst, I'll have to "budget" for a pair of 91Ms, but I'd rather avoid it:eek:.

5. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think it's definitely worth trying some "mods" before I get some completely new shoes - 91Ms are a lot cheaper over here than I thought and my 99LTDs are basically bowling shoes now, so they can't exactly get any worse. I just have to find the right balance between sticky enough to improve grip and so sticky that every atom of dust gets pulled of the court floor. Next session is Weds - I'll update on effectiveness.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Got hold of a product called Mighty Grip, a "chalk replacement". Used correctly it makes a massive difference - it makes old and worn grips fee like new ones. Also, on a whim, I tried cleaning my PU grips with nail varnish remover (acetone) and this also restored much of the tackiness. I go through grips like nobody's business, so these mods are going to save me a fortune:D.

8. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    hmmm.....

well lik grips r about 25quid for 25 on watdon so try ther for new grips. iv also herd o people wearing wristbands to prevent sweat running down their forearm to the palms to reduce the wear on the grip?i also get overgrips from watdon as i find by the time my karakal pu super grip is worn, its also slightly thinner, so an overgrip restores both the grip and size of the grip. :D:D

as or shoes, best bet or to just keep a damp towel by side of court, espesh in tournaments wen ther are loadsa matches being played and court can get dusty. i find a nicely cleaned sole with a slightly damp cloth improved grip LOADS!!:):)

hope that helps mark. hey what tournaments do you play in uk?all the satelites and orbitals?or u higher up then that?would be nice to meet a fellow BCer in tournaments when its normally so clichey.

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    With a very heavy grit sandpaper, VERY LIGHTLY AND GENTLY sand the soles a little and then use a wet towel to wipe off any dust trapped in the process.

I probably would not do that if not pretty worn out, because it will obviously reduce the life of your shoes a little more quickly, however sometimes when I slide all over the court, it's better to do that rather than injuring myself.

Wet towel beside the court always works, but it's a bit of a hassle and too wet can be slippery.

10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    DO NOT DO THIS. THE SOFT GUMSOLE ON ANY COURT SHOES WILL DEGRADE DRAMATICALLY WITH ANY KIND OF SAND PAPER WHETHER IT BE LOW OR HIGH GRADING. (No offense intended at all just offering some different advice)

SHOES : Lose their grip from either of the following. A build up of dirt, dust and gunk. Or degradation of the gum sole through use.

If the shoes are fairly degraded, do yourself a favour and buy some new ones. There is no way to restore the grip. On the other hand giving your dirty soul a thorough clean will restore grip like they are brand new.
    Warm soapy water and a towel or cloth is all you need. Rub until you are satisfied they are clean. Wipe down the sole with non soapy water. Can be cold or warm its up to you. This is purely to be rid of the soap. Then dry them with a clean dry towel or cloth.

WET TOWEL TECHNIQUE IS NOT THE MOST EFFECTIVE: If you are going to maintain the grip by using the wet towel technique. Try this instead. Have your water bottle next to your bag and towle handy. Put a small amount of water next to your towel or bag (offcourt ofcourse.) And step each foot into the water. Step back to some dry court.( Still offcourt) And rub your shoes on the court until they squeek and dry. Always make sure you mop the excess water up straight away incase someone slips.

This is Much more effective then the wet towel because the dirt and dust builds up on your towel and all your doing is putting wet grit and dust right back on your shoes.

GRIP CLEANING: Honestly there is no way to restore a grip back to life. Once it is worne there is no resurecting it back to what is "comfortable and consistant grip". So just spend $3 and buy another grip. To clean a synthetic or towel grip use a cloth or towel.
    Wipe it down with the dry towel first to remove the first layer of dust or dirt which is easily removable. Then dampen a clean towel with warm water and rub your grip thorougly until your convinced it is quite clean.
    Grab another dry clean towel and give it a good rub down to dry it as much as you can. Then you will need some sort of device such as a hair dryer to do the rest of the drying because synthetic and towel grips take a long long time to dry.

GRIP MAINTENENCE: Synthetic or rubber grips are very hard to maintain. (not really.) lol All you need to do is give them a wipe down after each match. With a dry clean towel. This gets rid of the majority of sweat which involves sault, dirt and other residue build up. This way they dont have a chance to set in and destroy or dirty your grip.

Towel grips are different all together. Either chalk or taulkem powder will give you the best maintanence for a couple of reasons. Mainly because these 2 substances absorb most of the moisture, so your grips dont get a chance to dry out in a grubby manner. this way your towel remains quite soft.

Either way when you get a new grip, do the basics to maintain it and you wont have a problem until the grip is plain dead. In any case dont be stingy when your grip dies, just buy a new one.
    You can infact cause yourself injury such as skin sores and things from rough or degraded grips.

Sorry for it being long and probably lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. Just thought id give a decent guide and indication from my personal experience.

Norms likes this.
  11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Try the ProKennex grip traction spray.. It makes the grip very tacky for a while.

[​IMG]

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Brad. You put in CAPS telling him not to do it because it'll reduce the shoes life like I never said that myself. However when the sole is really worn and too smooth to provide grip, it does help slightly provided that you clean it up after.

When I said wet towel, that's pretty much what I meant, I think most people would think the same. What did you think I was implying?

I'm sure we're all just trying to help here but I think you've gone a little over your head there.

13. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I use orange pledge on my shoes, you have to whipe it very clean, but you'll grip better.

14. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

awesome i was about to buy some new grips and shoes, i'll try these out and report back with the results. Lol i still want some new shoes though, i skidded on the side of mine and now the sides are green XD stupid green court.

15. ice_dragon

ice_dragon Regular Member

Student
    Hey i was wondering if hairspray will work for extra grippyness?

Thanks

16. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Probably not the kind of grip you want. It would become sticky, but not necesarily tacky. It would probably also become goopy/slippery from the heat of your hand. I don't know for sure but you could give it a shot.

17. dxwind

dxwind Regular Member

Student
    use tabletennis rubber cleaners, i play in the vic team but im quitting for baddy, the chemicals makes rubbers tacky again, i use to use it after every single tabletennis game. for my bat and my shoes

18. NotSoHandyAndy

NotSoHandyAndy New Member

Hmm, if tabletennis rubber cleaner works then I'd suggest soap and water or alcohol for shoes because I use use both on my bat as I'm too tight to buy rubber cleaner (for the amount I play it's not worth it to me but I have to do something as I can sense the difference in spin and control).

Having read this thread I'm going to wash my shoe soles down before playing tonight because I've been having traction problems.

19. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Wait, sorry about being off topic but soap and water or alcohol works for cleaning table tennis paddles? I thought using those things would degrade the tackiness and rubber. I don't know though, I have never tried. If it works for you, maybe I can try that instead of buying the actual cleaners.

20. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    I used to be a pretty advanced table tennis player and I knew some "pros" :rolleyes: who also use alcohol. It's simple, fast, and the rubber DOES NOT LOSE the "tackiness".