User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Loh;1094177]My thinking is nearly as similar, except for the MAS bit.
    And you think I believe that. Every Spore would be salivating this moment and wating for the day to come If Spore beat MAS in MS baddy in SEA or Commonwealth, MAS will never hear the end of it. After LCW retires, unless MAS find the 'next one', MAS will be in rebuilding stage and MAS is sure beatable. Pemuda points out quite correctly that MAS should focus on OLY after London. Facing LD and the CHN boys in OLY12 is like mission impossible, better luck picking up the phone and calling Jesus for help or enlisting Tom Cruise to make mission possible

Talking about FTs beating their ex-countrymen in a major competition, it has happened to Singapore when our dimunitive China FT swimmer Tao Li, now 18 and studying in the Singapore Sports School, shocked China's champion when TL beat her in 50m butterfly in the 15th Asian Games 2006, Doha.

Given TL size, that is indeed an achievement swimming against 6 ft tall dolphins But Spore women paddy team WR#2 is a far bigger achievement. Let's face it, nobody gonna touch CHN, the rest of the world is fighting for second place. ITTF changed the game from 21-pt to 7-pt to 11-pt and then make the ball bigger to slow down the game and still CHN wins. It shows it is not the size of the ball that matters, it is how you play the ball with your hand, oops! I mean the bat that counts
    So forget about national pride, get those FT from INA, hey! better off from CHN after seeing those young guns in action in CO09 who probably will never crack CHN top 3, so there must be plenty of them in CHN, given CHN is 8x INA population.
    So for those youngster who is not book smart, what's better opportunity to earn S$1million reward for OLY gold playing a game called badminton with someone paying coaches to groom you, feed you, massage you and flying you everywhere. If LCW can be a millionaire, driving bimmer and a Datoship, that should be enough inspiration. Now, if only I am younger, make it much much younger, I should pick up my wooden racket and smack round

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're 'one tough birdie' alright!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    You're 'one tough birdie' alright!
    Um, how about OnceToughBirdie?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Um, how about OnceToughBirdie?
    Now, my friend from Calgary, are you going to take that lying down?

Bring out your sabre, sorry maybe racket to be fair to Oldhand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, my friend from Calgary, are you going to take that lying down?

Bring out your sabre, sorry maybe racket to be fair to Oldhand.
    What can I say when the Oldhand guy is right that I am getting into old fart territory...With the economy tanking and engineering too stressful, and seeing that playing baddy can make millionaire and driving RM600K bimmer(forget about the Datoship, too heavy responsibility), I am scanning the net hunting for some senior citizen leaque paying big bucks to play in...then again, I would still lose

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    What can I say when the Oldhand guy is right that I am getting into old fart territory...With the economy tanking and engineering too stressful, and seeing that playing baddy can make millionaire and driving RM600K bimmer(forget about the Datoship, too heavy responsibility), I am scanning the net hunting for some senior citizen leaque paying big bucks to play in...then again, I would still lose
    Forget about the stress and the money part!

Come to Singapore and participate in Oldhand's "Changing Partners Match-making Night". They are starring tonight at Ang Mo Kio (is this what they say in Hokkien: Red Skin Bridge?).

And you may even win a multi-million engineering job (in SingDollars) with one of the big contractors who seem not to be perturbed with what's going on outside of Singapore. The bigger ones involved in the Marina Bay Sand Integrated Resorts project had a different headache. They are rushing for time to complete before year-end, a deadline which has been imposed for the grand opening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget about the stress and the money part!

Come to Singapore and participate in Oldhand's "Changing Partners Match-making Night". They are starring tonight at Ang Mo Kio (is this what they say in Hokkien: Red Skin Bridge?).

And you may even win a multi-million engineering job (in SingDollars) with one of the big contractors who seem not to be perturbed with what's going on outside of Singapore. The bigger ones involved in the Marina Bay Sand Integrated Resorts project had a different headache. They are rushing for time to complete before year-end, a deadline which has been imposed for the grand opening.
    I will meet up with you guys one of these days...my in-laws are in Spore and MAS...great city though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Nothing less than citizenship qualifies a player to represent a country at, say, the SEA Games or the Asian Games. This (and the fact that the Asian Youth Games and the Youth Olympics are just months away) should explain the Singapore Badminton Association's attempt to force urgent citizenship on Riky Widianto.

The turn of events has been strange, to say the least.

Last Friday (exactly a week ago), Riky had joined my group for an evening session. Undoubtedly, he is (as Eng Hian said) a brilliant and promising doubles player... very agile, very fast, very powerful and quick-thinking.

This was his fourth year with the Singapore squad... and he had signed the renewed contract sometime last year for less than USD 900 a month.

Consider, for a moment, what this amount means in real living terms.

His boarding and lodging account for over USD 500 every month.
    That leaves him less than USD 400 for everything else - that's just 12 or 13 dollars a day in expensive Singapore - and, remember, this is a teenager with as many wants as any other.

Even handymen are paid much more than this - and they certainly aren't being groomed to represent Singapore. As a matter of fact, even the lowest grade employee at the Sports School is paid more than this high-calibre player!

If those who run badminton in Singapore can't bring themselves to wear the imported player's shoes for a moment and see the view from his perspective, it means they are sorely lacking the skills to further this sport in Singapore.

It's rather bizarre that those who could wait seven years for Ronald Susilo to make up his mind could not bring themselves to either better the lot of this highly talented young man or give him more time to consider staying on for, what is at best, a pittance.

In my view, this episode doesn't further Singapore's badminton chances in any way.
    What I heard from some of the players is this The difference between Ronald's case and Riky's case is the current management under that Pang CEO is that Pang is not passionate about sports. He care more for himself and his sidekick staff in SBA office than for players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    That's because she showed that her badminton stints in clubs around the region is a more effective way to improve than Xing Ai Ying training in the comfort of SBA.
    Oh ...it's just that her draw in Malaysia Open is lucky ,... see how she was beaten by Tine Rasmussen compared to Aiying who nearly upset Tine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gitee View Post
    Oh ...it's just that her draw in Malaysia Open is lucky ,... see how she was beaten by Tine Rasmussen compared to Aiying who nearly upset Tine.
    I believe Zhang Beiwen defeated Xing Ai Ying to win a title in Vietnam? Regular competitive exposure(meaning playing against different types of opponents, not necessarily in tournaments) is usually a faster way to learn than continuous training without 'testing'.Training usually hones skills more;competitive exposure hones tactics better.If both players are similar level and equal fitness, it's usually the tactics that decides the winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    I believe Zhang Beiwen defeated Xing Ai Ying to win a title in Vietnam? Regular competitive exposure(meaning playing against different types of opponents, not necessarily in tournaments) is usually a faster way to learn than continuous training without 'testing'.Training usually hones skills more;competitive exposure hones tactics better.If both players are similar level and equal fitness, it's usually the tactics that decides the winner.
    Well, I heard from the vietnam organizer then that Aiying was sick after her 1st rd match.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I heard from the vietnam organizer then that Aiying was sick after her 1st rd match.
    oops, ok then I was wrong. That makes Aiying the real champion, and what mental fortitude,playing a further 5 matches while ill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I heard from some of the players is this The difference between Ronald's case and Riky's case is the current management under that Pang CEO is that Pang is not passionate about sports. He care more for himself and his sidekick staff in SBA office than for players.
    I don't think it is fair to say those negative things about the new CEO. Give him more time to prove himself.

All we know is that Singapore currently has no more respectable team to challenge others in the region with the spate of player resignations recently. The SBA is now in a difficult position to even put up a creditable team for the SEA Games with its present crop of players who are Singapore citizens. Yet Singapore badminton will not want to drop out from the SEA Games if possible since sports participation is encouraged at the highest level and it is gearing up for the Youth Olympics 2010 as the host country.

So how can we blame the CEO of not finding solutions to beef up the Singapore team? One possible way for him is to speed up the citizenship requirements for some talented FTs who are still not yet citizens. For then such FTs could be better prepared for officials games like the SEA Games, etc. It is better than having to spend the time, effort and resources on training them and later being told they are not interested in becoming citizens. Singapore would be looked upon as being foolish on such FTs who are not interested in the end. Mind you, it was reported that such FTs have been advised very early that they will be called upon to become citizens in due course if they qualify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trading foreign talents using citizenship is so shameful. Especially towards local singaporeans, making them feel useless. If it takes more time to train a less talented local to play professionally, so be it. At least u know you are supporting a home grown hero, not someone from overseas with a singaporean passport.

personally i think its fine to employ talented coaches but not player. Local singaporeans can make it big also, with more support from SBA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zuihoujueding View Post
    trading foreign talents using citizenship is so shameful. Especially towards local singaporeans, making them feel useless. If it takes more time to train a less talented local to play professionally, so be it. At least u know you are supporting a home grown hero, not someone from overseas with a singaporean passport.

personally i think its fine to employ talented coaches but not player. Local singaporeans can make it big also, with more support from SBA.
    Well, we have heard and discussed this many times before and unfortunately do not share your opinion.

Let me ask you, how long has badminton been played in Australia? How many of your Australian national players have won the SS titles?

Your name is rather "un"Australian. If so what better right do you have to criticise FTs who choose to become citizens of other countries?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, we have heard and discussed this many times before and unfortunately do not share your opinion.

Let me ask you, how long has badminton been played in Australia? How many of your Australian national players have won the SS titles?

Your name is rather "un"Australian. If so what better right do you have to criticise FTs who choose to become citizens of other countries?
    LOH, I am with you on this. If you can't find local talents to compete, nothing wrong to import FT...someone got to get the job done. Now, if only I can rewind back time to the days when I am young and good-looking and if I have LD talent, I sure readily cross the causeway with my wooden racket and represent Spore. Baddy is a business and Spore is a rich nation looking for a baddy hero to conquer the world, wait a bit, let's conquer MAS first. With big Spore bucks for OLG gold and maybe can luck up with one of those high flying SIA Singapore girls...the world is at your feet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just check with the locals how they feel about TL in swimming and the WR#2 women paddy team. I am quite sure the majority will be very proud of their achievements rather be resentful or shameful. Also, importing FT, Spore is doing baddy game a huge favor...Think of how many supper talented CH and INA players who would otherwise have no hope of playing in WC, OLY, etc now could have chance to compete and the reward is good. Spore is a developed nation, I would consider Spore a great place to call home as compared to many nations in Asia. I really enjoy visiting Spore when I come home to MAS on visit. I have many relatives residing in Spore, only thing is they brought their spouses over, not hooking up with those SIA Spore girls (the SIA commercials really captivate me as a kid growing up in MAS) Look again at FT in HK, not bad for WC and ZM, Xu in germany, Pi in France...FT boleh!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast