Benefits of Stringing?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by !¿Clue?!, Jan 10, 2009.

1. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

So after 4 years of playing with factory strung strings for my cab 7000 df, i've decided to get new strings for the first time. I'm hoping either to get the BG-65 or 66 at my local sports store. Just wondering what are the benefits of getting new string rather than opposed to factory strung strings? And also how long does it usually take to get used to the new string in terms of hitting/smashing etc..
    Planning also to get it strung @ 23Lbs.

:)

2. modious

modious Regular Member

I believe you've asked a similar question before? ;)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62546

The factory strung string tension is probably less than 18lbs by now. Not to mention the string is "dried up" and feels very "dead".

If you play 3-4 times a week, you should at least try to replace the strings every 2-3 months as the string tension and performance would have dropped.

You will have to experiment and find out what is your optimum string tension as everyone's preference differs.

You may need some time to adjust to your new strings as your strokes will differ due to higher stringing tension. More wrist action is required as the tension increases.

Personally, I am using NBG 98 (or BG 66 when I'm broke! :D) strung @ 26lbs.

#2 modious, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    ^ what he said :) I'm sporting the bg66 as well!

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, what he said. That is essentially the only reason why you shouldn't use old factory strings. The only other one I can think of is that factory strings are usually quite poor quality stringing with higher end strings (Yonex BG-66, BG-66 sharp, BG-80, BG-85, NBG-95, NBG-98, CBG-100 are all awesome) will give better feel even at the same incredibly low tensions.

In terms of quality to value ratio, I'd recommend BG-66 or BG-80. BG-66 is less durable and the same price as BG-80 but most people love its feel. If you've got more to spend on strings, I'd recommend NBG-98. It's powerful, makes a terrifying boom and is fairly durable despite being only 0.66mm. However, some people say it feels rather numb (doesn't really bother me although it definitely doesn't give you as much feedback/feel as BG-66). If you've got ludicrous amounts to spend on strings, go for Yonex CBG-100 (as long as you're not going above 24Lbs) or Babolat VS touch. Both provide supreme feel and power but neither enjoys high tensions (although VS touch handles them better) and neither is particularly durable. They're incredibly expensive but if you want the best, you can't do much better than Babolat VS touch.

5. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Yeah i only play once a week at my local club, and at my high school March is when badminton starts up again. So i think i'll go with the bg-66 @ 23lbs.
    :)

6. max_cjs0101

max_cjs0101 Regular Member

student
    Does anyone knows the differences between NBG98 and NBG95?I cant find any NBG98 strings in badminton stores here in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia.

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    They're different gauges (NBG-95 is .69mm, NBG-98 is .66mm) and this causes quite a different feel. Dinkalot has reviewed them both in his string review. Both are said to feel slightly numb but give massive power and a great sound. I think they're more suited to power players than control/defence players. If you play more of a control game, BG-66 is a great choice.

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just to add on top. NGB98 is very repulsive however however it seems a bit difficult to control the shuttle. For a more control, the BG-85 would be an alternative.

9. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    I don't remember seeing these strings either in Pertama. If not mistaken I think I saw them in AJ Puchong. You can give a try there.

10. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Since I have my bg-65 strung @ 24lbs(cab 7000 df) will it run the risk of breaking? Or no since it's an aluminum shaft.
    :confused:

11. Script

Script Regular Member

No, it won't. Considering how the string is thick and the tension is not that high.