Regulations about hitting the shuttlecock

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by AndreasT, Jan 11, 2009.

1. AndreasT

AndreasT New Member

Hello, I'm new here :)

I have been wondering if it is forbidden when you accidently kind of shovel the shuttlecock, like if your opponent drops the shuttlecock at the net and you don't get to hit the shuttlecock properly, but kind of shovel it over at his side.

Does this count as hitting it more than one time or what?

2. adamh

adamh Regular Member

web designer
    yeh you lose the point if you scoop it.

3. Erik L.

Erik L. Regular Member

professor
    Adamh is right. It is a fault when in the execution of a stroke the shuttle rests on the racket and when you shovel a shuttle it does.

4. AndreasT

AndreasT New Member

Thank you very much for answering me :)

5. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    Depending on where you play and what level you play at, people may be more tolerant and award the point to the offending team anyways. Beginners of course will sling a shuttle quite often, and even the best will occasionally sling while returning a hard smash. Where i play, a slung shuttle is usually played as normal.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The rules covering this are:

13.3.7. is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;

13.3.8. is hit twice in succession by the same player. However, a shuttle hitting the head and
    the stringed area of the racket in one stroke shall not be a ‘fault’;

Doing 13.3.7 on returning a hard smash is highly unlikely.. When blocking I think you may be thinking of 13.3.8 which is quite common that the block gets deflected because it hits the frame+ strings.. but that is not a fault..

/Twobeer

7. RichF

RichF Regular Member

I've never really liked 13.3.8, I've encountered too many (dishonest) people who choose to interpret a double/multiple hit as a legal stroke just because it occurred during a single swing.

In the last month a couple of players have 'won' some pretty important points because they have 'interpreted' this rule to suit their mishits!

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The real issue with multiple hits is that we don't want volleyball-style hitting in badminton (hit it up, then smash it!), or scoop-and-sling shots (catch it, then throw it!).

Exactly what defines a double hit is unclear. Many sliced shots probably involve two contacts on the shuttle -- such as hitting the feathers immediately after the cork. This happens so quickly, however, that it would be impossible to know for sure, unless using ultra-high framerate video recording.

The practice of calling "no shot" when the contact "felt wrong" is peculiar. There's nothing in the rules to say that the contact must be "clean" or "crisp". Mis-hits are not illegal. :p

#8 Gollum, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

By "mis-hit" I mean a shot that as a (fair) player you know you shouldn't 'take'.

A 'clean' frame will happen to everyone from time to time but everyone (certainly those playing a high standard) knows when they've played a spoddy, dodgy, triple-hit, awful mess of a shot and should call it.

To those that don't, I don't know how you sleep at night! :p

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    To be honest I think it is very hard to violate 13.3.7 and 13.3.8 if you use a single swing (racket forward during the whole stroke).

The rules intent is not to call "fault" on misshits.

If a player use slingshot or multiple hits intentionally it is pretty easy to spot, so I have never seen these rules as a big problem.

/Twobeer

11. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Really? I played a guy a couple of weeks ago who found it very easy!

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Did he violate 13.3.7 or 13.3.8? intentionally? how?
    Did you have an umpire ?

/Twobeer

13. RichF

RichF Regular Member

No umpire.

Not intentional.

In my opinion he was closest to violating 13.3.7, the flight of the shuttle after his shots could not have been achieved without a 'bit' of slinging, I would say that on one occasion he managed to hit the shuttle twice when attempting a 'dummy' push then tap.

But all of them were achieved with a single swing forwards, often when attempting to cut-out a fast shot from our side e.g. a drive.

My point is that I don't think 'taking' all of them, particularly when it gives you game-point in one instance, is sporting behaviour.

(We're talking about experienced county players too!)

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Then it's legal, and he is correct to "take" it.

I think differently: I think your attitude is unsporting. Your opponent has made a legal shot and, with a bit of luck, won an important point; but you don't want to swallow that. It sounds an awful lot like sore-loser syndrome, especially since you seem to be looking for a reason to fault him ("In my opinion he was closest to violating 13.3.7"). :p

Of course, having not seen the shot, I could be completely wrong.

In any case, luck is part of the game. Deal with it.

It would be polite for your opponent at least to acknowledge his luck. It's typical for players to raise a hand in recognition.

#14 Gollum, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  15. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I think this is going to be one of those "grey" rules akin to the "serve below the waist". The only time an infraction is enforced is if if it is clearly deliberate. Personally, I play any shot that will land in. No arguments that way!

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You took the words out from my mouth.. :)

/Twobeer

17. RichF

RichF Regular Member

You need to re-read the "single swing forwards" paragraph in context with the preceeding paragraph, they were technically illegal shots, although the double hit is a little more difficult to prove.

Thanks for that...that's right, you weren't there.

I'll be more specific:- in my opinion, my partner's opinion and several spectator's opinions he slung the shuttle on more than one occasion, they can only really be 'opinions' since none of us were umpiring the game i.e. we cannot call a fault.

Since we didn't question him on the shots (we just got on with the game) I hardly think it's an unsporting attitude.

Doesn't appear to be "sore-loser syndrome", since we didn't lose.

Lucky or not, they were duff shots, dealing with people who don't play to/don't understand the rules is not my favourite part of the game.

Indeed he did, but they were more than just a lucky 'frame'.

I've clearly made my original point badly.

I was trying to show that some people misinterpret those particular rules to their own advantage...although not necessarily maliciously!

Last week I had a conversation with another player who believed that 13.3.8 provided an exception to 13.3.7, in other words a sling is ok as long as it occurs during a single stroke!

What would you do if an opponent repetitively hits what you *know* is a foul shot?

I was hoping for a debate rather than having to defend myself! :rolleyes:

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If he did, then it's a fault, and my previous comments are irrelevant; I retract my suggestion that you were unsporting, and agree that your opponent is culpable.

Agreed. But equally, I dislike dealing with players who accuse me of a fault because I've made a mis-hit (not a sling-shot), or because I've hit the net cord with the shuttle (they can't believe such a thing is possible, and assume it must have been my racket).

Opponent: "You can't take that."

Me: "I can. What's wrong with it? What law did I break?"
    (etc.)​

Your previous explanation came across as "I don't really know what rule he violated, but it looked/felt wrong". I took issue with that: if you're going to accuse someone of a fault, then be sure about which law you think he is violating.

Your current explanation, however, is straightforward and I take no issue with it. :)

True, these rules can certainly be misinterpreted. I wouldn't even say that the rules are crystal-clear in themselves, never mind the distortions that ignorant players inflict upon them.

In the absence of court officials, sadly, there's no satisfactory way to resolve a dispute. :(

#18 Gollum, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  19. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Phew, that's better, apologies for not being clear enough in the first place :)

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Nah, it's ever-so-easy to read a post differently from the author's intention. I shouldn't have jumped down your throat. ;)

By the way: congratulations on keeping a level head during the match! It's a real challenge to stay focused on the rallies, and not get angry and distracted when your opponent breaks a rule/does something rude/tries some gamesmanship.