Who Would Be Interested?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bluecraze07, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Who would be interested in me making a video of how I string? Now before you all get excited, I am no pro at stringing and I just started not too long ago.

I believe if I put up a video of myself stringing, it would help not only others who want to learn to string, but also myself. I could get criticized by better stringers on the forum on how I string, what I'm doing wrong and what I can improve on to make me a better stringer.

The video would be quite a long one. I have a drop weight machine :D. How would you guys like me to make this video? Three separate videos (pre-stringing, mains, crosses) or just one full video?

I will only do this video if there is enough interest that I feel this video will help. It would take me quite some time to make this video so don't expect one too soon. Also, do not expect it to be up to par with DinkAlot's videos :D:D:D.

2. shadow1312

shadow1312 Regular Member

student
    I would be interested as it gives people that may want to learn to string in the future an idea on how to string

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think there is no harm for a badminton enthusiast to learn something about stringing as string quality and tension must be uppermost in most of their minds. ;) In the old days, even very good players string their own rackets.

A step-by-step approach, in the form of pictures and colourful diagrams (like the one done by Gollum on "grips") to be posted in the BC Forum would be a good start. The more experienced stringers can then give their feedback and exchange of ideas. Then we would have a permanent record in our BC Library here for all who wish to learn something about stringing.

The credit will go to you as the one who initiated the idea. :)
    Don't wait. Get started! :D

4. bluecraze07

So you feel that I should do a step by step guide with pictures rather than a video?

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I for one would find it more useful here and it becomes more or less 'permanent' in the sense that members need not have to refer to the link to your video presentation.

Also members may be able to provide more meaningful feedback instead of referring to your video which others may not have viewed. Granted that the video has certain advantages as the stringing becomes alive and maybe more relevant to some.

By thinking of how best you can present in pictures, it will also help you to better organize your video presentation subsequently.

Of course if you can combine pictures and diagrams with the video, it would be even better. Then members can have a choice and they can refer to both sources for better understanding. :D

#5 Loh, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Which drop-weight machine are you using?

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In case you do use flying clamps in a twin-array to clamp 3 strings, may I suggest you give me credit for it by naming it the "TEP-2FC".:cool:

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd definitely be interested.

Good luck.

9. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    if you made it, I would watch :)

10. bluecraze07

I think I will make a video since it won't require too much editing. I am not very tech savvy and I think having diagrams with pictures and such will be too complicated. I'll just make sure that vital parts of the stringing process are recorded well. As for the drop weight machine I am using. It is quite an old one, it's an RSL model. No information is available online.

11. stan boyd

stan boyd Regular Member

dental technician/stringer
    i would defo watch it, make it!!!:cool:

12. blundey

blundey Regular Member

There is VERY little information on the net with regards to stringing. Its a shame really. There is obviously some information, and some videos flying about, but the informations comes in bits and peices for us new people to put together. It was'nt until I went around my coaches place to see how he did it, that i understood what everyone was saying / meant.

What newbies need is a definitive way of stringing from start to finish. This should be on both a drop weight machine and manual crank. One machine with fixed clamps and one with out using flying clamps.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'll watch any video on stringing techniques and/or equipment, especially badminton, as most of the stuff on Youtube et al tends to be tennis-related.

(I'm covering a tennis tournament this weekend, so there's a chance I could film some of my exploits as well;).)

14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i think a video would be more useful, go for it!

15. bluecraze07

Alright guys, seems that there is enough interest. I'll go ahead with it. However, it probably won't be done until the end of the month. How would you guys like it to be done? Anything that you want me to get on video more in detail and such? However, I don't think that I'll have this video done until the end of the month, it's the end of the semester and I have a lot of culminating activities and exams I need to work on.

16. blundey

blundey Regular Member

What method of stringing will you use? One piece? two? Fixed clamps? or flying?

17. bluecraze07

Two piece. With the clamps, not too sure yet. I'm still experimenting with what works best with me.

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Can't wait to see your machine and you in action :D:cool:

19. liint

liint Regular Member

In addition, I would really like to see some more illustrations on knots and how to tie them. There seems to be quite the debate on starting knots in particular, that in badminton, they shouldn't be anchored on another string, but I have yet to see any pictures of how to make starting knot that isn't anchored to a string and just sits in the grommet.

20. bluecraze07

Keep the suggestions coming. I will make the video based on the criteria you guys have given me.