Yonex Carbonex 20, 21 Questions

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Loafers, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    I currently bought another Cab 30 MP and am going to buy another Cab as a spare. However, I don't know which to pick.

Firstly do they even make Cab 20 any more? The only reliable shop that I could find selling them was shuttle-house, but it's overpriced... So I guess I should cross that off my list?

As for Cab 21, how does it compare to 30? I know it's heavier, 10 mm shorter, and lacks newer "technology", but how does it fare in game play? Will the transition be easy from a 30? Also, I've heard of 3U versions, where can I find these?

Any other comments are appreciated.

2. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

if you are going to buy a spare, just get the Cab 30 MS again.

the cab 21 is head heavy. however, it is still an excellent racket.

3. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    I started playing badminton with a 2U Cab 21SP and I can guarantee that this racket is an EXCELLENT racket! I don't know why a lot of ppl finding it heavy but I don't find it so. I feel that my current 3U AT700 is heavier overall compared to the 2U Cab21SP.

My experience on the Cab21SP, you can use it for singles and doubles as it is very versatile. Depends on the tension, the higher it is the smaller the sweet spot but you will be rewarded nicely in terms of sound and training to hit the birdy right on the sweet spot. If you can hit the birdy with this racket on the sweetspot every time and no mishit you can use any rackets. Not really a forgiving racket if you mishit.

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Most people find the Cab30MS superior to most cabs anyways.... though cab20 special may be nice too, but I dunno where you can find them.

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I have 2 Cab30 (3U) as my primary rackets and have on several occasions played the Cab21SP (2U). I find the Cab30 responds better to wrist (short strokes) and has much more control than the Cab21. They are almost equal in terms of power generation. The Cab30 probably has a slight edge due to its length. The Cab30 is also a lot more maneuverable than the Cab21 (I toyed with a 3U cab21 in a shop not so recently and think the Cab30 is still easier to move around).

For me, the Cab30 is all about the feel. I just love the way the Cab30 swings, how it feeds back on stroke, the surge of power when I hit the sweetspot, and the control.

In the US, the price is not so different between the 2. If you do not find any further wantings with the Cab30, you should just get the 2nd one. Cab21 is an excellent racket but IMHO just not in the same league as the Cab30. The Cab30 held its own against all the newer rackets I have tried so far.

I run 2 cab30 and just string them differently for comparison.

#5 weeyeh, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    I believe you are aware that Cab30 is 10mm longer than Cab20 & 21. I have one 2U Cab30MS and one 3U Cab20SP. In my case there is no main racket and backup rakcet. I use these two depending on the situation. Both are strung 25x27 lbs.

In terms of feel the Cab30 is nicer, has more power and control about the same like Cab20. At first when switching between these two my timing is off due to the difference in weight and length. You need to have two different 'modes' to use the racket potential. Anyway now I'm used to switching between these two. I love both.

For me If you need a spare, buy another Cab30. Apart from the technology used, the Cab20 is not an inferior racket just you need different style for it. It is still among the most durable around. I must let you know that the Cab20 is more unforgiving compared to the cab30.

Back to your first question, there are new Cab20 but hard to find. In KL only one shop has it. Got my genuine Cab20 for less than USD70. I think now the shop is selling via e-mail. PM me if you want the address.

Cab30, well it is a waste of time looking for it here... very2 difficult to find.

7. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Hi thanks for the reply everyone. I guess I'll go with Cab 30 or a Cab 20 3u if I can find it. Very helpful responses thanks :)

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Now my question is, should I post a group buy for Cab30ms for all you Cab30ms lover out there? I need at lease 9 racquets before I order and s/h in US is $10, $15 to CAN and $25 to rest of the world.

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I may be interested in more Cab30. I'm currently evaluating the ZELM to see if it is a suitable replacement. Will probably need 2-3 weeks to get a good idea.

11. silentheart

No hurry, you know the source...

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

You bet I do :)

13. kflee

kflee Regular Member

Sales
    Not to sure CAB20 you guys mentioned is same with what I seen. The price I get is much lower, something below RM200.You may check wtih USJ23 court. Last 3 months, the sport shop owner told me can order.

14. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi

After reading this thread & while at the court over the weekend, I pick up my carb 20 again, left in the bag for a while now since I have been using APACS isometric head nano 7700.

What a great feeling again. I regain some fine control (net shot) which I thought I have lost with my Apacs. It is still a great racket and play well.

I have never used the Carb 21 or 30 so can't comment but now perhaps I might try them if I can find someone still have one.

What makes the carbonex series different from the isometric head? (whether it be YY or other manufacture)

The only complain I have is when I was playing against some better players, I can get the smashing power. maybe it is beacuse they know my weaknesses too well so attack me on my weakness.

I would appreciate someone who can enlighten be re the Carbonex series against the isometric head and perhaps give me some idea as to which Carbonex would suit which type of playing style too.

Any other manufacturer which still produce rackets similar to the carbonex series?

Thanks

#14 Skanbuzz, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

My shameless selfplug
    about ovals & in particular the Cab30. Almost a year into the review, my opinion still stands -- now with BG80@25lbs. I am trying out my newly acquired ZELM which is another interesting racket.

16. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi weeyeh,

Thanks for the link and sound like others are discovering the oval shape have its advantages too.

So does that mean if I wish to try another carbonex whether it be 21 or 30, I need to get from US?

can anyone give me some feedbacka sto which carbonex would be a better buy & if possible from where?

thanks

17. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

well mr silentheart when you do those order please contact me because i may be interested.

18. silentheart

If you need Cab30ms or Cab21 right away, try MJString attached in TOR. Otherwise, I have not hear too many people commited on the group buy on Cab30ms or Cab21.

19. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

naw i'm not in any hurry. got another ti 10 so i'll be okay but still if you are doing this order tell me

20. Estoril

Estoril Regular Member

Dear All,

What is the difference between a Carbonex 20 SP (lavender on black color) and Carbonex 21 SP (moody blue color)?

I learned that the Carbonex 20 SP is even balanced with regular shaft and is more powerful than the head heavy Carbonex 21 with Super Slim shaft. However, Carbonex 21 SP is whippier and faster.

Carbonex 20 SP has regular graphite while Carbonex 21 SP has high modulus graphite (considering the amounts of graphite and HMG are the same on the two rackets). How is it that Carbonex 20 is stiffer than Carbonex 21? Just because of the differnce between the regular and super slim shaft?

Did I get the wrong information?

Many thanks in advance,
    Estoril

#20 Estoril, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009