Box to Box Practice/ Tossing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by saurabhmittal, Jan 14, 2009.

1. saurabhmittal

saurabhmittal New Member

Hello every one,

I have started playing badminton only since three months and have developed immense passion for the game. I am 30 and because of my work i am not able to take formal coaching because it is available only in the evening. I have been advised by the other players to practice tossing/ hitting shuttle box to box. Although i have been trying since almost a month now but i am unable to hit the shuttle to the other box/third court. Lately may be due to wrong technique i am experiencing immense pain in my elbow joint. Due this my game is getting all the more worse and makes feel really frustrated :crying:. Please advice as to what i can do to improve my game. Please help. :confused:

2. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Those things happen to almost every beginner (without a coach). Be patient :). By the way don't use too much force. A badminton stroke requires many muscle coordination, which takes time to master. Having a coach would help you improve more steadily, but otherwise, you can still manage to improve. Badminton central forum has many useful thread on techniques which can help you.

Good luck :)

3. saurabhmittal

saurabhmittal New Member

I guess not having a coach is a very big draw back. Is there anything else i should start to improve?

4. itachi46

itachi46 Regular Member

watch some tutorial videos on youtube focussing on footworks.. keep this idea in your head.. "if you can't get to the shuttle.. it doesnt matter how good your strokes are... you wont have a chance to use them" <- my old coach always says that to me coz i was lazy at footwork drills :p

5. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    as you get better, you will find that timing rather than strength is the key to a powerful shot. I've seen pieces of spaghettii thicker than some player's limbs, but their timing is so excellent; they can deliver some killer smashes and clears. Be careful with your elbow, you've only got one...that sounds really dumb but you know what i mean...

I totally agree with itachi46, footwork is the most important aspect of the game at higher levels, and tends to seperate the winners from the losers. worth learning early, defineately.