Replacement for MP99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Serpentstrike, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Serpentstrike

Serpentstrike Regular Member

Penetration Tester
    Hi all,

I started at a new club last night and about halfway through the evening I went for a forehand drive and smashed my lovely MP99 iso against my doubles partner's racket. It's dented and bent probably beyond repair.

As I probably need to replace it, and the MP99 is being discontinued, is there something similar I can get? I play mostly doubles, and need something durable that can survive me hitting my partner's racket to a reasonable degree. I rely mostly on power. I'd like to get another Yonex.

If you think the best option is for me to source another MP99 asap before they all go then please say so :)

Thanks.

2. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    You can either source for another MP99 or you can opt for AT900T :D

3. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Pls consider MP Limited version, which is in golden orange, its specifications are more or less the same as MP99, but shaft of MP Limited is lesser stiff, that some players even find MP Limited more easier to play and control. If MP Limited is available in your area, pls try it.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry to hear you lost...

All MP is being discontinued. So MP limited will be gone in 2009. AT900t is a good option, easy to adapt. NS9000-s or ARC10 is closer on the spec.

Good luck

5. tcy148

tcy148 Regular Member

There are still some online shops that sell the MP99.
    They are also based in the UK.
    Here's one of the very few that still have the 99 in stock!

http://www.kickbacksports.co.uk/Products/Yonex-Musclepower-99-100373.aspx

Or if you consider buying a new racquet. Then as mentioned above, the Arcsaber 10, Nanospeed 9000S or Armortec 900 technique are fairly similar to the MP99 and are excellent raquets.
    Hope that helps.

#5 tcy148, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I've got two MP99s but knowing that they are discontinued (Price increasing as well), what racket would be a good alternative? I could still purchase them but I feel I should move on. I'm looking for a similar racket. Please offer your views :)

Thanks!

7. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    the Arcsaber 10 and AT900T are very simalr to the MP99,,,,i had two MP99 after playing a close match in a tournament i realised it had a crack in it...so i only had one left and decided it was time to get a new racket,,,i was going to get another MP99 but correct me if im wrong i was told that they are not being made anymore and had sold out at tyhe shop i went to...so i then turned to the Arc10 and AT900T i liked then both and couldnt decide,,the AT900P then caught my eye and i decided on that in the end,,, i now have three of these and i love then,,, might get a few more later just incase they decide not to make these anymore,,,they are great rackets i would recommend them...hope this helps

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

actually in the UK MPs are head heavy similar to the ATs unlike in other places where they are even balanced
    In the UK MP99 is between AT700 and AT900p according to 2008 yonex chart

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

this website doesn't sell MP99 anymore
    Your best bet is www.mybadmintonstore.com
    They still have MP99 MPLTD and MP66 MP99 is $149 MPLTD is $109 and don't know what MP66 is

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Uh, i doubt that claim. All manufactured MP 99 should be similar, so, one regions being head heavier than another is quite, odd.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Sitting here with the book infront of me
    The table states:
    In order from Head heaviest to head lightness
    AT 700 is head heavyiest
    AT900p/MP99
    AT900t
    AT250AT150
    ARC10
    Etc

#11 LD rules!, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  12. BoyGenius

BoyGenius Regular Member

Employee
    MP Limited is a good suggestion. Many believe that MP limited is basically MP99 in different paint job as Yonex is trying to clearing stock a going-to-be obsolete model.

If MP Limited is not available, I would go for Arc Saber 10. IMO, it's fairly similar with MP99 characteristics ... well balanced with great control, but one may have to adjust with AS10 for a while as it has a very unique shaft characteristics ...

13. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Like pro1992 and boygenius mentioned, the arcsaber series is a good option.

Yonex probably made the Arcsaber series to replace the high end muscle power series. Currently the muscle power series are typically low end models.

Why not test out arcsaber 5, which I believe is as stiff as MP99 and should be even balance. :D

14. 2high4u

2high4u Regular Member

Do you think a ns9900 would be a good replacement too? Because i'm planning to get another racket but I don't really like Arc's series.

15. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Personally, I've never been a fan of even balance racquets, but that's just me. Sold away my Arc Z-slash and MP-99.

For doubles, I just prefer a headlight racquet for backhand defense and extra stiff for power smashes/drive.

eg. NS9900, NS9000X and Ti-10.

Since I don't play singles, but if I do, I opt for headheavy balance/stiff for ease of clear and control drops.

16. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

if you want similar specs, no.:(
    If you want a really good racket, yes.:eek:

17. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Try a zelm pp9990 or a cab 30MS if don't mind an oval head instead of iso. I've read many a post of people who have switched over and loved it as much, if not more.

18. synet

synet New Member

Hi all, sorry for dragging an old thread up, but I'm in exactly the same position. Looking to replace my broken MP99, which I loved!! Was thinking of AT700. Would this be a good replacement, in terms of matching the charateristics? Or should I look at one of the racquets already mentioned above? I mainly play doubles, league mixed and mens, and like to smash a lot. Thanks :)

19. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    No, I don't think the AT700 is a good replacement. Its a lot more head heavier. If you're looking at the Amortec series, the closest choice would be a AT900T. I'm going to go try the Arc10 again soon because a lot of BCF members mentioned that it is close to the MP99.

Although at the moment (although prices have gone up), the price of a MP99 is still lower than the AT900T and Arc10...so I still haven't decided which racket(s) to buy.

20. synet

synet New Member

Thanks for you advice. T=Technique? I always thought that the MP99 was for offensive players? Which I would consider myself to be. According to Central Sports (in the UK) the AT900T is for defensive players, and the AT900P for offensive?