Singapore Foreign Talent... Are they helping the country?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by alvinalvin, Jan 14, 2009.

1. alvinalvin

alvinalvin New Member

Hi,

I am a fan of badminton!
    I am living in Singapore!
    Watch a lot of matches!

But i wonder, Singapore badminton team consist of mainly foreign talents, but are they of help to singapore???

Singapore doesn't seems to be getting medals? Despite spending huge amount of money on them? Is it worth it?

Why not just spend that amount of money on our local boys??

From what i see now, the local players doesnt seems to be getting a share of the pie?

Can any kind souls help to solve my dilemma?

Cheers

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    how many parents in singapore willing to let their children concerntrate 90% on badminton and 10% in studies?

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya...again...earning is the main problem...for baddy to develop in some country

4. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Uncle Loh is the suitable person to explain...

5. alvinalvin

alvinalvin New Member

true. but the influx of foreign talent defies the purpose of "representing your country"?

I mean when the foreign talents are not born local, but yet representing singapore, isn't it "#$#$#@$". The government spend amount to get them over. But yet they aren't productive at all? So shouldn't it just be "Foreign workers" rather than "Foreign TALENTS"... I mean we pay a price for the result desired, but when the price is paid, yet the result is not delivered... then what is the purpose?

I would rather it to be spend on developing local sport scene... Or even making sports a career.

The young boys in local badminton tournament are always losing to the foreign boys. They need the exposure to grow. But they aren't getting it in singapore?

Shouldn't local get priorities first? Rather than the foreigners??

I am really very curious about this interesting conflict. Can some kind soul please enlighten me?

#5 alvinalvin, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, the locals have always had priority in Singapore.
    But if the locals can't excel, should the government just abolish the sport? :)

Obviously, there is some stigma associated with this sort of proxy representation. However, it is not without plan or purpose ;)

To illustrate, take your typical social badminton group.
    Let's say you have talented beginners and several proficient peers.

The beginners learn to play better by playing with and against better players.
    The more they play with and against those better than them, the more they improve their game. The situation plateaus when the skill levels of the two categories become equal.

Now, consider the local Singaporeans as the beginners, and the foreigners as the better players. Even if the locals don't make it to the top immediately, another set of locals later will -- that's because the interaction has raised the overall level of the local game.

If the state didn't bring in (purchase, headhunt, poach, call it what you will) skilled foreign players, Singapore's local skill level would stagnate - even after 50 years, Singapore would still rank alongside Eritrea or Bhutan in badminton.

Now, you wouldn't want that to happen, would you? :rolleyes:

7. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Badminton sports is not the only sports that involving FT's participation. For example, Singapore Football Team.(I did not use 'Singapore 'National' Team) What can we say abt it? (although they lost in the Suzuki Cup to the Pure-Vietnamese Vietnam Team) Do the FT really upgrade the local's skills, as claimed by some BCers here? Or just take-over the place that is originally own by the local's Talents?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

What kinda result will satisfy your definition of "result to be delivered"? You can not expect just paying $$$, then everyone comes out as Lin Dan, right? :rolleyes:

We might only know no more than 20 names from CHN national teams, but their government is paying for thounds of thounds kids every day to train. So, the return ratio is less than 0.00001%. To your standard, then they should shut down such programs way earlier, but they did not. That's why they have champions generation after generation.

Be patient and do not shoot for un-realistic expectation in a short run. Build a successful system and produce generations of competitive athelets takes much more than just a few years.

9. bramyes

bramyes Regular Member

salesman
    S'PORE only the money in the search ..
    there is no progress in the field of sports.
    like a lot of football players in the habitation of foreign S'PORE, Agu Casmir example, and its
    B'minton have players Ronald Susilo and Indonesia may have another one

10. alvinalvin

alvinalvin New Member

hmmm... thanks alot for the kind replies :)

But i find it rather contradicting then... if singapore spend so much $, then what has the influx of foreign talent ti help singapore achieve awards or medals?

And those local national players would be losing the opportunity to rise and shine in the arena?

11. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    I am still waiting Uncle Loh's comment on this topic.

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i still wanting u reply my post in another thread...:p

13. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Without foreign talent, Singapore wouldn't have end their 48yrs olympic medal drought.

If the locals have the ability rise and shine as you put it, then by all means, do so. Fact is, they're not able to do it. Maybe jealousy of this fact prompt questions on the validity of using foreign-born talent.

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think we should not limit the scope when it comes to foreign talent to badminton players only. What about coaches etc?? For example, Malaysia hiring Rexy, Morten Frost, Li Mao ... these chaps are also considered as foreign talent too.

15. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Perhaps he means those naturalized ones.

Rexy, Morten Frost, Li Mao are/were in Malaysian side, but they still maintain their Indonesia, Denmark, and China citizenship, respectively.

16. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    instant way to get title..

17. ALAL79

ALAL79 Regular Member

iNSTANT tITLE? Spore has none yet...

Instant Title is what UAE is doing now, Spend 500million ringgit to buy Kaka and pay him 2.5million ringgit a week.

If spore can pay 50million to China and ask Lin dan to represent Singapore and pay Lin dan 250k ringgit a week.

That's instant title!

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think any foreign talents can definitely help a country. But the country must also produce local talents of their own. Not SOLELY on foreign talents.

19. alvinalvin

alvinalvin New Member

YES!!! I AGREE!!!

I think foreign talent should be an "aiding" factor instead of a main focus... But unfortunately, that is not visible in singapore... Quite sad!

Actually it is quite true too! Unless they can pay lin dan $50million, or else i don't see a possibility that he will betray his country... Even so with the $50million, he might not want to betray the country too....

People always say: "Singapore too small, small land, small people, small talent, nothing much can be done?"... Perhaps that's the cause of the influx of foreign talent?

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Even if Rexy, Frost or Li Mao took up Malaysian citizenship, they are still considered as foreign talent.