How are badminton tryouts like in your school?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by xpchiu, Jan 17, 2009.

1. xpchiu

xpchiu Regular Member

Well, as you guys may know, badminton season is right around the corner.
    I just want to ask, how are tryouts like in your high school?:confused:
    please be discriptive.
    i wan't to be at top shape when trying out. :D

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Most you'll probably ever do for tryouts are just suicides or sprints for like warm up. Then the coaches usually just show you footwork and maybe feed you birds. So if you can move pretty good on the court and connect with the bird you'll likely make it on the jv team.

3. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Tryouts? More for the players than the coach for us, haha. We have such a low denomination of Asians--not that other ethnic groups wouldn't enjoy badminton, but we know the majority who connect with the sport in the U.S. are indeed of an Asian heritage--that the team is comprised of very few players, and usually we have to forfeit some games, as we lack a team designated for those slots. Thus, people usually come to participate and "try it out," but the majority just quit after the first day or first few days. It's definitely not as easy as they had perceived. I would suggest just attempting to show consistency in strokes, footwork, etc. Perhaps you may not necessarily need to be outstanding, but I would assume judgment would be more on an attitude focused on improvement. Dedication is key. :cool:

4. Jyaki

Jyaki Regular Member

Student
    At my High School, when it's in season(mostly during terms 2 and 3) all players who are interested in being in the team are invited to a meeting.

During this meeting, students that have been in the team last year will get a VIP spot the current year. Teacher in charge selects on what he thinks will be the team(group of 6) and the rest will have to face them off. Best 6 is picked into team, and are ranked according to their skill level.

Once all that's over, Teacher in charge will organise practice sessions and they will "try" to teach. But as you may know, Badminton isn't a sport that most PE teachers are good at.

As long as you are playing your game well, it shouldn't be a problem. If you live in a country where Badminton isn't a sport of choice for most, you'll have fun slaughtering Tennis players:cool:

5. Tsumaranai

Student
    Beating tennis players is indeed fun. :p But since we share the gym with the boy's volleyball team, who enter after we exit, they sometimes come to be defeated instead. ;) How can there only be 6 players on a team? Wouldn't you need to fill all the positions? We have: Men's Singles 1, 2, 3, and 4, Women's Singles 1, 2, 3, and 4, Men's Doubles 1, 2, and 3, Women's Doubles 1, 2, and 3, and Mixed Doubles 1, 2, and 3. We usually can't fill all the doubles and have 11 or so people on the team. Each individual can only participate in 2 events.

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Our school doesn't really have a try-out system. You just attend badminton club and if you're good enough, you get selected. Sometimes we have try-outs but they are usually just an exercise to demonstrate the futility of my school at badminton. We have a couple of good players but that's about it.

7. 8061991

8061991 Regular Member

Student
    My mistake, 12 then(forgot to count the womens:p). Ranks 1,2,3 and 4 play singles games(both men and women), then 1 and 2 pair up for the doubles game against the oppositions 1 and 2 pair, and so do the 3 and 4. If by the looks of things it is an easy match up, then the 5 and 6s will be called to play. But if we know that an intense game is coming up, 5 and 6s are left out.

8. Jyaki

Jyaki Regular Member

Student
    Weird, it logged me in my other account:confused::confused::confused:

8061991 is me. Sorry for double post.

9. modious

modious Regular Member

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Jyaki has provided a reasonable explanation :)
    However, 8061991 won't be posting anymore.

11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    back in the days, the one of the coach or an assistant coach would just rally with you, if you could get a few of their shots, you're good enough.

12. Tsumaranai

Student
    Haha, that seems like a reasonable test. xD Unfortunately, our coach isn't as dedicated as he likes to think he is. We get morality lectures about attending practices or showing more effort, when he isn't there half the time, or else he takes off without informing any of us.

13. xpchiu

xpchiu Regular Member

I live in the bay area. Monta Vista if any of you know. and in that place, there are many of the asian heritage and badminton is pretty competitive. Anybody from the bay area schools can help me out?
    thanks for the replies guys! :D

14. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

Our tryouts are alot different from your people's o_O. There are separate tryouts for separate grades. We have 6 courts in our gym so the boys get 3 and the girls get 3 to try out on. At the beginning, the coaches sit you down and tell you the new system and how to do the score, what the lines are, etc. You get to rally with a partner while everyone is filing into the gym. Then they just match you up with someone from the same gender that you will be versing to a game of 11 (singles). If you win, you report it to the coach and they will record it and tell you to verse another person. So its kinda like tournamant style but tryouts lol.

I guess they have an idea of whos good and whos not because sometimes they make a girl verse a guy or verse a higher grade person if they just dominate everyone else lol.

15. Tsumaranai

Student
    Well, I would assume it would be based on the popularity of the sport at each individual school. While mine does not command a large interest, yours may be different, as it seems that there is division among grade levels. Our team consists of people from all grade levels, and you are already considered varsity upon joining.

16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

It says you won Cons at USBDF in your profile, that's good enough for a freshman to make the team so don't even worry.

17. HDoan

HDoan Regular Member

Student
    Lol thats like the exact system in my school too. Except we start with small drills, then we pick a partner of same gender and do doubles, whoever wins the "tournament" is on the team as the doubles. Then they do singles, first place gets singles position, second gets mix, third gets spare.

18. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

That is interesting, but what if you accidentally picked a beginner partner? And getting paired up with a random partner you barely played with is bad. And what if for some people doubles arent their "thing." Like for example some people are trained in singles, but are forced to play doubles and therefore messing up.

19. HDoan

HDoan Regular Member

Student
    You picked your own partners. To be honest I don't like this system, I rather make a team of the top 5 guys and top 5 girls, and then find whos best at what =/ Though with this system you can pair up with your buds easier =/

20. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    my school takes badminton seriously, which i rare. The coach knows he cannot play a quarter as well as any of the people who make the team since they (we) are all club players.

for tryouts he organizes a practice section where all 6 courts in the large gym are set up and we play with whoever we want for a while, before he starts moving people around to see them playing with higher level/similar level players. Although he may not be a good player, he's watched enough high level (high school) badminton to have a good eye for skill.
    After that first round has eliminated all the people who just came as a joke and the people who are honestly hopeless, we have a tournament they next tryout day. Once he has determined the best players for each grade and gender, we have our team. He makes all of the decisions for partners and singles, though we can ask for a specific partner with no guarantees