Why does a head-lighter AT900P smash harder then AT900T?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by invisbear, Jan 18, 2009.

1. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    I've seen lots of post about AT900P&T, but never quite understand why 900P smash harder then T while T is head heavier and can swing faster???!!!!

Also does anyone know how a 4U AT900P perform compare to a 3U 900P, 900T and 700?

I can only buy 4U version of 900P in my country, don't really understand why:(

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    If you believe the Yonex marketing BS, it's all to do with the placement of "Elastic Ti" in different parts of the frame, and also the different frame cross-sections.

Can't help you on the rest.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Not everybody has a head heavier AT900T; the only cases I've heard of on BC are Smichz and me, and we both have 4U AT900Ts. So in any case, comparing the actual weight of the head of a 4U At900T to a 3U AT900P (which everybody uses practically), the P will obviously be much heavier.

Also, head balance doesn't mean everything. AT900P also has a box frame, which is more stable and slows the racquet down, but easier to transmit power. So this means two things; you get more power transferred, and transferring power doesn't require as great of a technique (since you can use your shoulder more without punishment, cause it's easier to time).

As well, the AT900P is stiffer, which means it snaps back faster than the AT900T; again an indicator of more explosive power.

4. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    lol o well, marketing bs works most of the time :rolleyes:
    im looking to get a good smashing doubles racket, hopefully a 4u 900P will suit me well

5. Athelete1234

Student
    You can try ordering online, or you could try out the AT700 which I believe is sold as 3UG3 in your country.

6. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    oic, so for me a hard hitter without much skill i think an AT900P is better for me :)

Hope someone have a 4U version AT900P to share their opinions on :eek:

I played with AT700 before and I'm not really used to it in doubles, so I thought AT900P will play better and I also heard its also more forgiving for n00bs<-- me

#6 invisbear, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  7. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Try to do a search on balance points and swingweights. You may find your answer there.

8. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    I've played with both at900 power and tech and they are quite different in feel. The at900t has a more flexible shaft so is much more forgiving. The at900p has a stiffer shaft with I think? more head-heavy balance. You can potentially get more power, but only with sufficient torque in your swing; otherwise the shuttle will leave the stringbed prematurely.

I tried the 4u version of at900p also, but it felt awkward. I preferred the feel of the 3u. The 4u at900t had a pretty nice feel for its weight though.

If I had a choice, I'd buy the at900t. There are plenty of rackets with ridiculously stiff shafts that are cheaper, and in some cases better than the at900p. There isn't a big selection of semi-flexible rackets that still feel playable.

I like playing doubles with the at700, but only after sufficient warm-up... otherwise it feels like a plank of wood. Also difficult to do intercepts...

9. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    thats exactly what i feel about the AT700 for doubles:(
    im strong enough to use it for smashing, but too weak to move it round for defend.
    at900p just give me a feeling that its good for defence, coz of LCW:D

o well, I've ordered the 4U AT900P anyways, looking forward to it :)

10. Athelete1234

Student
    I woudl have recommended the AT500 or 300 if you're not at least high intermediate-advance player....it's moderately head heavy, not too stiff, and still powerful.

11. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student

Im still only a beginner :p
    but im actually quite strong so I can smash with the AT700 really well, i've compared it with some other medium balance rackets and I can definately hit harder with stiffer and head heavier balance. Its just I can't defend well with it.

hope the 4U weight can help me in defence :D