12 year old Singapore school boy dies after game of badminton

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by taneepak, Jan 19, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Just got the news that a school boy in Singapore collapsed and died after a game of badminton. Can any Singaporean provide more details on this? I think most of the courts in Singapore are not air-conditioned. Could this be a factor, especially for those who are not well conditioned.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I don't believe badminton has been blamed for his death.
    After all, he was certified to be in top physical condition.

The Straits Times, Singapore has the story.

And what has air-conditioning got to do with this?
    I hope a heat-stroke argument is not on its way.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Oldhand, there are many cases of athletes who die from cardiorespiratory failure brought about by high ambient temperature, high humidity, and lack of fluids. The larger your body mass the more likely this will happen. Giant American footballers are a case in point.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The article, taneepak.
    Please read the article :)

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, I have read the article. Whilst a very fit athlete, even if he or she is top of the class, may be very fit cardiovascularly, they are not immune to cardiorespiratory failure if hyperthermia gets out of hand. That particular case could be due to other reasons, yet to be determined.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    That's a bad news for badminton for sure. Some kids reading this will be afraid to play badminton :( Truly another freak accident.

7. cheemao

cheemao Regular Member

what a tragedy...such a promising young lad gone for no reason. High possibility that he might turned out to be a future scholar given the right guidance

Maybe the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports and the National Sports Council will be considering halting all badminton activities and closing all sports complex pending a review of the safety procedures in sports halls, ventilation of the buildings etc and recommending that every badminton enthusiast be CPR trained etc ya?

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

When very fit athletes die from playing sports they call it sudden death. This happens all the time. Every year we hear about super fit marathon runners dying either during a race, after a race, or even within a day after a race.
    Just yesterday, in a 10 km race in Hong Kong, a runner collapsed after finishing the race and then just expired. In the next few months there will be an international marathon race in Hong Kong under, I am sure, a polluted environment. There will be many casualties, hopefully not too serious. Only those African runners thrive under such conditions.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Another tragedy in Singapore-a 14 year old Raffles Institution schoolboy died after returning from a week-long Outward Bound Course. But this time cause of death was due to acute myeloid leukemia.
    I thought that leukemia would start with a first phase, called chronic, before progressing to a more serious phase called acute. At the chronic phase CML in children or young people can be more easily cured. I may be wrong and would like to hear from more knowledgeable people.
    I have a younger brother who had a kidney tranplant 19 years ago and who also suffers from leukemia (CML). His kidney transplant life span of 19 years todate has become a study case at the hospital, as kidney transplants for middle age patients normally have a life of 10 years. He has been diagnosed with CML for more than 2 years and I suppose he is too old to get any bone marrow transplant.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Time to call..

..our in-house BC medical experts, Cheung and Fidget (or others), and have them chime-in..:cool: