Two simultaneous racquets

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by stumblingfeet, Jan 20, 2009.

1. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I remember learning years ago that there weren't any rules against carrying multiple racquets simultaneously during play, does anyone know whether this is still the case until current rules?

At the time, I remember thinking that it would be much too cumbersome to wield dual racquets, as one might get in the way of another when attempting to execute strokes. However, today I saw someone (an adult) playing with a kid while using a child-size racquet. This gave me an idea: what if you carried a short racquet in your non-dominant hand for shots to the body? This reminds me of dual sword techniques where the swordsman carries one long sword and one short sword or dagger.

Is this possible? I'm thinking about the possibilities for deception as well as the increased quickness of the small racquet.

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I suppose it would work, but unless you're ambidextrous (and can get some power out of your non-dominant arm)... it seems like a better use of time to improve footwork or strength. Well I know you're not asking what's best but whether or not it's possible.

I'm curious to find out too.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I read this too, in the "Crowood Sports Guides" Badminton book. However, the book contains inaccuracies in other areas; I wouldn't trust its information.

Looking in my copy of the Laws, I see no clause excluding the use of a second racket. Yet that doesn't necessarily mean you could really get away with it in an officiated tournament; the Laws don't say anything about carrying a powerful fan onto the court either. :D

It would be interesting to see what would happen if professional players started adopting this idea effectively. I suspect that a new Law would be introduced to explicitly ban the use of a second racket.

Yet I can't really see this happening, because I expect the disadvantages greatly outweigh the opportunities. Still, it's an interesting concept.

4. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    This is a definitely an interesting topic, two racquets are the same time. However, is there really an advantage of doing so, there have been cases where players snapped their strings and simply ran back to his bag to pick up a new racquet and leave the broken one right on the side :p (thats skills)

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I'm not sure if carrying a small racket for body smashes will really help.. I feel like it would be too much for my brain to handle to decide instantaneously which racket to use to return a smash at the body. The advantage of using two full-size rackets, on the other hand, would be to allow you to smash (or threaten) on your "backhand" side. Besides Taufik (who doesn't even backhand smash that often... he mostly clears or drops with his backhand), few other players can pose much of a serious threat with their backhand.

Also another thing I just thought of... typically when I'm about to hit an overhead shot, my nondominant arm is raised. If this arm were holding a racket... somewhere along my stroke I would probably clash my two rackets :rolleyes:

6. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    No offence intended but it sounds like a stupid idea to me :)

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. I just don't think you'd be able to move around court as well and if you want an awesome backhand, train it! I know a few people who have venomous backhands - it's not impossible.

8. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    As many others have said, there are problems with using two rackets. The problems I can see are:

1) service would become a bit more difficult with a racket in the shuttle hand.

2) diving to retrieve a shuttle will result in crunched fingers or losing grip on the second racket.

9. stumblingfeet

Remember, I'm talking about a small racquet. For backcourt shots, whether backhand or forehand, you would still use your main racquet using the same technique you would use now.

The advantage is on defense. Imagine defending with two backhands! Usually defending on the backhand opens you up for the shot to the armpit of the racquet arm, but now you would have a second racquet to cover that hole!

Of course, this is all theoretical, but it's fun to think of new ideas for badminton every once in a while.

10. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I still think in sounds unpractical and stupid:p

11. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

How would one serve while carrying two rackets simultaneously?

12. viver

viver Regular Member

It's an interesting idea. However, if not mistaken, there are rules specifying the official badminton rackets size.

13. stumblingfeet

I saw that there was a listing for maximum racquet size, but not one for minimum. However if both racquets must add up to this size, then the idea wouldn't be worth it.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

You are right about the racquet size. If there is not a rule for using smaller racquets, your task would be to find a way to keep it handy in a way that allows you to pull it fast enough to return shots close to your body.

Let us know your findings.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Well, why stop at two?
    Um, why not four racquets? :p

What about a double-headed racquet?
    Or how about a really bigggggggg one?
    Even Lee Yong-Dae can't beat that.

See this contest :)

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hehehe - I love this really mundane question:D.

I think the Chinese should try and train someone to play with two rackets at once - IMAGINE the deceptions you could do! I say Chinese only because they're almost certainly the only ones who would

a) even bother trying and
    b) actually pull it off:p

17. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

i tested playing with 2 racquet before in my younger days.
    it was easy to cover both sides in singles, (i am sumwat ambidexterous, leaning to righ handed)
    Power difference between both hands was the main factor and each shot required me to think more ("should i use my backhand or my other racquet?" etc)

and yes service could be difficult. My way of getting around it was to roll my other racquet into my t shirt on one side with the handle poking in front and tucking a bit of the shirt in to hold the racquet there. (Kinda like carrying a sword in japanese culture) Then i could serve as normal. Once i served i could continue playing with one racquet or draw out my other racquet and resume my 2 handed style. :p

Another option was to keep it there for the hard shots to backhand. If such a shot happened, all i had to do was to toss my playing racquet up high and use a quick drawing motion for the second racquet to hit a fast backhand shot to the back. (like battoujutsu, way of drawing sword)Then i just had to catch my flying racquet wif my other hand. :cool:

but now back to my uncool 1 handed style :crying:

And yes, imagine the deceptions you could do with 2 racquets!:D
    *double racquet fake!* :eek:

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Actually I hard of somoene playing with two rackets before in a high school match. The person did quite ok with dual rackets.

My only question is (as a joke), how do you defend if the bird goes straight for you in the middle? Dual racket block? lol!

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is of course up to how the rules should be interpreted, but there is max-stringbed area defined if i remember correctly, and if the rules are interpreted so that the area gets ADDED for the second racket, this rule can be used by an umpire to prohibit use of two rackets (if not both half sized)

/Twobeer

20. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

well.... i guess you'll never know unless you try...