newbie question about string tension (2 tensions?)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by invisbear, Jan 21, 2009.

1. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    Dear all

I had a Carlton powerblade racket String at 20lbs(bg80) before but then I find it too lose and can't generate much power at all, what I notice with the racket is that the head shape is changed after restring :eek:

It was a more oval shape ISO head but after stringing it becomes "squashed", a more square shape... is that the reason I can't get power because the shape changed?

Have I told them the wrong tension when I string so the head changed shape? I saw some post about people stringing 26X28lbs something like that, why is there two numbers :confused: So do I need to have two different numbers to prevent the head shape change?

I would like to string at 22lbs on my AT700 which is currently at 24lbs(too hard, apart from smashing i cant get any power), but Im too scared I will deform the head...dont't wana risk it:crying:any ideas what tension I should tell them? 22lbs or 22Xsomething lbs?

#1 invisbear, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. invisbear

invisbear Regular Member

student
    Sorry I just realised there is a Stringing Techniques & Tools section...will read through those post sometime, but if someone can give me a quick and straightforward answer that will be great :)

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    A lot of people advocate stringing the crosses (horizontal strings) 10% higher than the mains (vertical strings). I think this is usually to do with preventing deformation. However, just making sure the racket is secure in the machine during the stringing process can also help prevent deformation.

Going on that theory, if you want to restring the AT700 (great racket choice by the way) at 22Lbs on the mains, you should go for 24.2Lbs (just make it 24) for the crosses. If you want 22 on the crosses, you'll go for 20 on the mains.