Will tension keep loosing if u don't play the racquet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by HKFreak, Aug 2, 2002.

1. HKFreak

HKFreak Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys and girls,
    I got a question. I don't break my strings that much, the reason may be in our club there is no chance to practice and only can play 5 to 7 games in 4 hours which is really sad. My question is I strung 4 racquets but I only use 1 of them very often. The other 3 may only play 1 or 2 game a month. Question is the string tension. Will string tension keep up or it will keep loosing? If it will keep loosing I might consider in the future not string that many racquets. Only keep 2 racquet with string and rest them without string. Anyone have some experience on this issue. Please help. thanks a lot. By the way I string my racquets around 26 pounds.

2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day HKFreak,

From my experience, no. If you store your racket away in a safe dry place away from moisture and sun, the string tension should not drop. I have a Ti-10 sitting in a bag and the string tension is still as tight as the day I bought it.

I know the tension hasn't gone down because all other rackets I have are strung at same tension (same string also) and it still sounds the tightest (since I don't use it)

3. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Well, IMHO it loose a bit in the 1st week after stringing. With 26lbs you may loose, say, 1lbs. But then it'll stay 25 if you don't play. Can't say for how long though. :)

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    also depends on the string

bg80 tends to stretch less than bg65. each type of string has slightly different characteristics and stretch factors, but all strings do lose some tension just from storage, although some are very fractional. the majority of string loss is from impact with the shuttle, so really you don't need to worry too much. there is another area of tension loss - this may be due to poor stringing technique, knots slip and if the stringer pulled at uneven tensions, the string will eventually settle, lowering the overal tension of the strings.

since these are occasional racquets and for recreational play, this should not be too much concern. if you are preparing for a tournament and you want to ensure consistency, restring all your racquets a week prior to the events. but otherwise it's an additional expense you shouldn't need to worry about.