Hello / Bonjour - from Montreal!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Dingosses, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Dingosses

Dingosses New Member

AIN Coordinator
    Hello people,

My name is Charles and i'm from Montreal (Verdun) Canada. I played badminton and competed in High School and CEGEP (1990-1995), then stopped for ~6 years, started again for 4 and stopped another 3 years. This week (Wednesday) i was invited with friends from work for a casual lesson and actually got a decent workout. Now i have ideas of getting back in the game, not as a serious player, but rather like a fan who knows his way pretty well on the court. I'm more of a doubles player, i enjoy the team oriented flow of a game, the speed and offense.

Mainly checked this site out to get some advice for my bag that is out of date.. (understatement lol)

First thing on my list was a pair of shoes since my last pair was long gone (played wednesday with some good looking Puma that weren't made to ever see a court lol.. ouch)

Next day I bought some Asics Gel-Rocket 4 that feel pretty nice and light.

Now what i'll be looking for in terms of help, in other subforums, will be in the racquets department. I currently (and for over 15 years) own a Yonex Widebody 30 (cracked) and a Linex Aerotus 88.. I'm not crazy about the isometric shape and sadly don't have access to a wide variety of raquets to test since i'm not part of a club or team, so i'll probably wing my decision on what i read. (1 or 2 racquets? YY / Bk / (Victor - i don't to where to get them in montreal :/ ) ? -Maybe a group of people to practice/play with depending on schedule.. Oh the possibilities when we hit a forum are endless :p

Anyway it's nice to meet you all, drop me a line whenever!

Charles
    AKA Dingosses / Ding

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Welcome to Badminton Central, Dingosses :)

It's great to know you're back on court.
    Move faster, smash harder and have more fun!

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

racketsportsmontreal.ca rents rackets to try. They have SOTX and Yonex. And their prices are probably better than a big retail shop in Montreal.
    They also have a club.

Have fun......:)

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hi there
    welcome to the forum and have fun here!:):D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Welcome..

..to BCDF, Dingosses (Charles)! Glad you've found this site to further enhance & invigorate your newly re-found interest in badminton. Yes, as is often the case, once a new member finds what s/he is looking for, they'll usually start looking elsewhere in other sub-forums.
    You can search for a group to play with in the Places to Play/Local Events->Europe/France sub-forum/section.
    In the meanwhile, keep on visiting us & enjoy surfing this in here!;):cool:

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Um, you mean Canada East, don't you? :)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Yes..^^

..Canada East, it is..:cool:
    *I have no clue where France came from...

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, welcome to the forum.
    give us more info on your style of play and budget and i'm sure someone will be able to sort you out.

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Bonjour et bienvenue a BCF, Dingosses.

10. Dingosses

Dingosses New Member

AIN Coordinator
    Haha it's gonna take a little while, but i'll get there eventually! Thx :)

I looked into it, CEGEP Andre Laurendeau is not far from where i live, i'll drop by pretty soon i guess.

Yeah i looked into the equipement sub-forum allready, pretty good source of information.

I'm mainly a doubles player for many reasons but in a nutshell, fun is the first one since i get to fool around with a partner and have a blast (if it's too serious, i don't like the player i become), second being a health condition that causes a major strain on my ability to run over the full court for 3 sets :/

The racquet i always played with and love is a Widebody 30 from Yonex, i think it's a 2ug4 if i remember correctly (sticker is gone). Anyway, i enjoy fast exchange, drive the net, push the attack and smash, i'm not so big on net play but i can manage. I have pretty quick reflexes and in single, i can usually backhand from end to end (not cross) without trouble. I always prefered oval shaped Vs ISO. I guess the racquet i'm looking for would be, semi-stiff, pretty light, head heavy (words i never used before to describe a racquet lol). I don't really have a budget, but i'm not gonna invest 200$ in a single racquet either.

here's what i've looked into since reading this forum and previous experience.
    Yonex cab 8600TI - Played with this one before and i enjoyed to feel of it, i know it's low end but.. meets most of my requirements except the power side.

There's also a nanospeed 7700 on special that seems allright, any comments?

Black Knight Feather XL - Franckly beside being light, i don't think it would work but i'd find a way to improve my weak net/touch game.

I had never heard of APACS before hitting this forum, now i got an itch to get one (or 2). AMP95 might match my play if i read "DINKALOT" advice correctly to another member.. Don't they have any oval shape heads?

It's still up in the air..

Thanks for reading.

Ding

#10 Dingosses, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

BlackKnight's Feather XL is a lovely mobile racket. I don' t think it's very head heavy (if it is, it was hard to notice because of overall light weight). I played only a couple games with it last year.....its strengths were net play and smash return. Also light, but with more power, is the Photon XL.

Since you mentioned oval, how come Cab 30MS didn't come up? It's fairly stiff, oval and head-heavy. I believe one of the most outspoken proponents of it is Silentheart, who is drumming up interest for a mass purchase.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1081879#post1081879

A slightly shorter, lighter oval (and a lot cheaper) is SOTX 8080+. Not top of the line but a nice little racket for doubles.

The choices are infinite. Since you are in a big city, you have the advantage of trying before buying. Take advantage.

Bon chance. Go Habs Go!

12. Sabby

Sabby Regular Member

student
    Bonjour...i'm kinda new here too...don't know much about badminton...yet...lolz...but who cares....welcome...enjoy yourself here...hehe...have fun...

13. Dingosses

Dingosses New Member

AIN Coordinator
    Since you mentionned the Cab30, i read everything i could about it and i'm quite interested in the model now. The only problem is i can't find a store in the Montreal area that has it and i'm not crazy about ordering online (found it at www.badmintonavenue.com - dunno if anyone ever did business with them with an opinion?). Same thing for the SOTX 8080+, official site says they're out of stock.. lol

Thx for the cue, quite appreciated!

PS: i'll move this to the appropriated thread soon ^^;;

14. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Excuse me to hijack the thread but have you played high school tournaments, you have curly black hair, brownish skin and run like a crazy demon?

If so, whats up?

If not, sorry :)

15. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Welcome

Indeed welcome to the fraternity....