A tribute to the beautiful Malaysian girls

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wl2172, Aug 4, 2002.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Ang Li Peng and Lim Pek Siah today made history in Malaysian badminton as they became the first ever Malaysian ladies doubles to win a gold medal in a major tournament. I was watching them since the quaterfinals and my word, those two really wanted to win. Ang Li Peng has a lot of power in her smashes, drives and defensive shots. She can hit a good smash from the baseline, then rush forward to return a drop shot from her opponent beautifully to the back. Lim Pek Siah's strength is her deceptiveness and her speed around the net. Her drops were devastating..and yes..she can also jump half her height to make a smash(or a drop) from 3 quarter or back court if so required. But most importantly, they believed in themselves even at times when most people have lost faith in them - including me and some very enthusiastic Malaysian fans - when the chips were down. Their fighting spirit were remarkable, and the hunger for victory they displayed were just simply awesome. When they won their semifinal victory against English top pair Jo Goode and Gail Emms, most of us sitting in the arena were either in a daze or screaming with joy. Imagine how it was like when they won the title, it was pure chaos and mayhem.
    As we stood there watching the Malaysian flags being hosited and the national anthem being played in the background, I noticed that Ang Li Peng was trying very hard to hold back the tears. It was then that I suddenly realised the significance of this win, and I felt truly proud to be a Malaysian. Congratulations to this two lovely girls, and to Ng Mee Fen, Wong Pei Tty and Chin Eei Hui. They are all heroes.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Thanks for a very moving summary of the events wl2172 as i can't watch them on tv in canada.

3. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Wow..

That was a very descriptive and indeed moving narration! I also wished that I was there..i would have tried (poorly) to sing our national anthem Negaraku. I do admire them..was reading Star Online where Ang Li Peng was quoted saying "The gold medal is for the next generation and hopefully a move towards the direction for the younger generation of Malaysia's badminton youngsters, especially the all the female youngsters, our future Ang Li Peng and Lim Pek Siah!

Congratulations girls! You've made us all proud! One of my close friends know Ang Li Peng..I might try to get her to come to NZ when she retires! :)

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

No Problem. I was very near tears myself mind you. Ang Li Peng has a very positive attitude about her that I really admire.

5. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Lim Pek Siah-Ang Li Peng are still in their early 20s.
    Barring any premature retirement, they should be able to play on to defend their title in the next Games!

Anyway, well done Malaysian girls! You have done us proud!
    For now, carry on your hard work to be among the world best!

6. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

The Malaysian pair played particularly well. I watched the game when Emms and Goode lost and it was telling that the English pair were looking to hit drops and clears and avoid errors wheras the Malaysians were playing entertaining attacking badminton. They were looking to attack rather than counter-attack which I admire.

As for beautiful? Well if you think that they are beautiful you will never be single.

7. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Hahahahaa Slanter.....that was a good one. However, I do think they are both quite cute, especially Li Peng. She has got the positive and softspoken look that I like. I did not mean in terms of drop dead gorgeous, but I find that character is more important than looks, because that will stand the test of time.

8. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

thanks for the update

unfortunately i, nor anyeone on this continent got to see that final

no Badminton in Canada, even though it was stated in the schedual that they would show the finals

lies...lies....

i too am starting to believe in a conspiracy against badminton by cbc
    they have time to show over' 10 mins on rugby 7's in which no canadians are in final either
    but they dont have time to even mention who won in badminton

9. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I am really sorry to hear that. At least in England, they showed all the quarter final matches onwards. Canada will never improve if due attention is not given to badminton, players like Daniel Shirley and Runesten(the two best players in the Canadian squad IMO) will fade away because people are not excited about them. I don't know what to suggest as it takes a lot of money to generate decent publicity. Try highlighting your plight to the IBF, I will get in touch with Korn Dabaransi, the current IBF president to see what he says. I don't know Punch Gunalan, but I can try contacting him.

10. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Try highlighting your plight to the IBF, I will get in touch with Korn Dabaransi, the current IBF president to see what he says. I don't know Punch Gunalan, but I can try contacting him.
    -------------------------

is j00 talking to me?